Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good running 1996 5.8L with 136k to put in my 94 Bronco. The 1994 5.8L is my truck is knocking pretty bad and has to power.

My question are:

I haven't pulled a motor on a truck in years. What all do I need to look for and disconnect? So far I removed the radiator and hoses, disconnected all the engine wiring, Disconnected the exhaust pipes, removed starter and torque converter bolts. A/C lines. Throttle and cables. Located the motor mounts but haven't unbolted them yet.

I knows there have to be bolts on the rear of the bell housing that hold the engine and trany together, But I haven't found them yet? Also is it easier to pull the engine and tray together, or just remove the engine?

Anymore info would be great!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
yes, there are 6 big bolts that hold the tranny to the engine and a few smaller ones that you have already taken off in order to get to the torque converter.
IMO its easier to pull the engine alone...i was able to unbolt the hood springs, prop the hood up a little higher and lift it out. you might want to pull the upper intake to give yourself more room as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You need to be sure you have enough height on your hoist before you start pulling. Got mine most of the way out and realized I was 3 in short to clear the core support. double check it first. Pull the condenser coil out or put plywood in to protect it. I was pissed when the motor let loose of the tranny and went through it. If you are pulling the whole front end, that is not an issue.

Smog pump hoses. Fuel lines.

Also, I recommend just pulling the hood off and out of the way. Makes the whole thing easier without it in the way.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Dont forget the ground straps that bolt to the engine along with the tranny cooler lines. They are located here....

There is alot to do on this project that will make it all work better. Take advantage of this opportunity to clean everything. Read my build thread starting here..... http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191067&page=31

Theres a ton of information in there on things you can do or not do.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
As far as getting it in and out easily. Get a 2 or 3 ton engine hoist. The 1 ton does not have enough boom to reach it, the 2 ton may work with the tires deflated and everything pulled off the front of the motor. The 3 ton can be rented from sunbelt rentals for a day and will make quick work of it.

Go ahead and pull the radiator out either way. Pull your a/c-ps bracket off the motor and set it aside, you wont have to take your a/c lines or p/s lines loose. pull any vacuum lines that wont come out with the motor. remove the fan from the water pump.
you can bolt a chain to the front drivers side head in one of the holes the a/c bracket bolted in, then there is a similar hole on the back side of the opposite head for the other end of the chain to bolt into the head. you want as little slack in the chain as possible but be careful not to dent the fuel rail. then you can hook your hoist to the chain to pull the motor. you can see this in the picture above for the back and the one below for the front.

again, go thru my build thread, there are many parts to check for damage, and lots of cleaning/degreasing to do that will save you headaches in the future. clean your intake/valve covers/oil pan/timing cover till they look brand new. rebuild your injectors, clean your fuel rail of any rust or crud, might be a good time for a new fuel regulator/fuel pump module/fuel tank/sender as well.

DOnt be afraid to take parts to someone and have them bead blasted clean, then paint them with good high temp engine paint and high temp engine clear.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
The one ton sitll wont get it out with the wheels off like that. You would have to take the bumper off, thats the biggest issue. Even then the core support may have to come out. Easier to go rent the long reach 3 ton for a day.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own a 2 ton engine hoist so I will try to make it work. I removed the front tires and have the front axle sitting on some 4x4's. It's pretty low right now.

Well I figured out why I couldn't locate the motor to transmission bolts. They were missing! Yes 4 of the 6 bolts weren't in it. Got those two bolts out by removing the access panel under the carpet in the floor of the Bronco's transmission tunnel. Removed the intake and the EFI. Pretty sure I have it all unbolted and ready to pull tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I own a 1-ton hf and it's the same as the 2-ton except for the ram and one extra hole. It gets a 300 in and out just fine as long as it has a competent operator, like any other piece of equipment.

I'm saying from experience, a HF 1-ton will do the job.

You can deal with the top two trans bolts with an offset box wrench. If you need us to tell you exactly what to disconnect then you shouldn't be swapping engines.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
I own a 2 ton engine hoist so I will try to make it work. I removed the front tires and have the front axle sitting on some 4x4's. It's pretty low right now.
Don't have it too low, you'll have trouble getting the legs of the picker under the axle.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the engine out yesterday. My hoist worked fine. Put the wheels back on and rolled it out of the garage to pressure wash the engine bay and frame. Will probably spray some undercoating on it before I reassemble.

Pulling the motor was a real pain in the A__!! Not sure if I'm going to start putting the other motor in get yet? Need a break for a couple of days. My old bones need some rest. I have to remember, I'm 52, not 25! LOL!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts