Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Bronco that I bought new and like many others the tailgate is rusted out. So I found a replacement that has no rust in a small country junkyard but I'm getting conflicting reports on what years will actually fit on my 94.

I've been told 92-94 and 94-96, can anyone tell me definitively what years will match up to my 94?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, I had no idea it was such a long period of time. No modifications to make it fit? Just an easy swap?

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
yo,
But internals are slightly diff in some years;
Swapping (t'gate differences between the years); "...Amazingly throughout the number of body style changes from 78 through 96, the tailgate remained nearly the same. You can swap tailgates between all of these years taking note of the following: I've broken down the 3 major changes into their respective years. 78-79 Type A; 80-82 Type B; 83-96 Type C; If your swapping within the same type it's just a direct swap. If swapping A & B you have to switch the glass and glass support brackets; If swapping B & C you have to switch latches and striker plates; If swapping A & C you have to switch the glass, glass support brackets, latches & striker plates..."
Source: by Mike M (MRM) at his old medicine.wisc.edu site via web.archive.net

The latch safety switch was moved from the tailgate handle to the left latch by 1983 per Seabronc; It keeps the window from being moved when the tailgate is open

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for that link and what to expect in swapping this out...

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts
yo Watchman , yw
---------
yo TJSak
the defrost ckt in the 96 needs the + wires; if the 83 doesn't have the defroster, then use the diagrams below to swap
& the latch safety switch was moved from the tailgate handle to the left latch by 1983 per Seabronc; so that section of harness may need to be adjusted as shown in last pic, below.
& "...Ryan's photo shows an '80-?89 tailgate harness. 96 will have a different connector inside the L frame rail just forward of the rear bumper with the window & defrost wires in 1 connector. Inside the t/g, though, it'll be the same as older harnesses, but his photo doesn't show that end of the harness. It's just 2 flat terminals on a long harness take-out that reaches from one side of the glass to the other. They're the same size & type as the "Tailgate Latch Switch" terminals in his photo, but they're in separate connectors, instead of the double-connector shown for the switch..." by Steve83

"...This is all the wiring for the tailgate, except the ground for the defrost grid. This connector is located inboard of the L frame rail between the rear bumper & the gas tank rear crossmember. " by Steve83
==============

78-86 Bronco heated window wiring. (without under hood fuse box)

by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at FSB

--

87-96 Bronco heated window wiring. (92-96 with under hood fuse box)

by Ryan M
----

by Ryan M
----
Defroster Ground & Battery Voltage (Hot) Connectors in Harness detailed pic in a 95 with defrost
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

"...Tailgate Wiring Harness from a '95 Bronco with defrost.

I'm not sure when the round white connector was introduced for the frame connection. Before that, the 3-pin connector was behind the L taillight. The white style shown here is inboard of the L frame rail between the bumper & the gas tank rear crossmember.

Before ~'83, the interlock switch connector was at the center mechanism, so it was on a take-out near the motor connector. To bypass the interlock (meaning that the glass can be moved when the tailgate is NOT aligned with the camper shell), just install a jumper wire between its terminals. But it's better to leave it working properly and align the tailgate so that the L latch works properly..."
For a writeup on installation & alignment, read this:
http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?t=5224
============

Ground, Inside Driver's Side Tail Light; "...that ground is for the rear window defrost - it has NOTHING to do with the window motor..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB

Ground "...for the motor connects up front, & at rest runs from there through both switches & both wires to the motor..." miesk5 note; G201 Behind bottom of LH kick panel (E1)
Source: by ElKabong (Ken, El Kabong) at FSB

Ground "..."For ~'90-96, in the driver's kick with several other grounds. Look for the green screws with a BUNCH of black wires; Ryan M (FireGuy50) wrote, 1986 Ground 701 Behind Instrument Panel near RH side of Radio..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) & Ryan M (FireGuy50) at FSB

===

Defroster Trouble Shooting from 96 Bronco, F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at FSB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts