Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about that time, I've been reading up on this subject on here. I noticed a lot of people have been using thicker oil on their bronco. I have a 302 don't know what oil was used, I bought from a used lot. My oil pressure is fine right now runs normal. Should I go all out and use the 20w50 that I see a lot people on here running, or should I go thinner? What was recommend for this engine?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
What year and how many miles do you have on it?
Also where do you live?
What type of climate throughout the year

·
Registered
58 Posts
After I had my 302 rebuilt my mechanic recommended rotella 15w40. Yes it is for diesel engines but has additives the newer stuff doesn't.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Its about that time, I've been reading up on this subject on here. I noticed a lot of people have been using thicker oil on their bronco. I have a 302 don't know what oil was used, I bought from a used lot. My oil pressure is fine right now runs normal. Should I go all out and use the 20w50 that I see a lot people on here running, or should I go thinner? What was recommend for this engine?
10w-30 or 5w-30 depending on the year. If your engine is in good shape there's no reason to use a different weight oil.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 302 with 156000 originals miles does not leak oil. I live in central cali so dry heat during summers and cool nights

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I would run 5w-30 or 10w-30 in your prefered oil brand,
Typically in an older engine you want to run a oil with a higher zinc and phosphorous ppm to aid in the protection against engine wear, especially on your cam and lifters, unfortunately most of the oils with the highest level of zinc and phosphorous ppm are going to be full synthetic.

Heres a pretty good article on it if your interested

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/comment-page-2/

·
Registered
468 Posts
Use Valvoline MAX-LIFE 5w-30...It's made for higher mileage engines, it has the right add pack and seal conditioners.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Use Valvoline MAX-LIFE 5w-30...It's made for higher mileage engines, it has the right add pack and seal conditioners.
That's what I use. My 5.8 has similar mileage as well, about 157k. Been running this for a decade now. Plus go to walmart and get a motorcraft oil filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts