Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having occasional no-start problems. Last year about this time (probably heat related) same thing, I replaced the PIP (whole dist actually), the coil, ignition wires, and TFI (ICM) which is the remote mounted kind. It was time for those parts anyway, and it solved the problem.

Now a year later, the same no-start, and throwing code 212 (IDM input failure).

After a long search, I did the Tech Service Bulletin on the harness, opened up the looms on the harness between the PCM and ignition parts... no issues.

It's throwing the 212 code still, and I can't find the IDM resistor. There's some debate whether it even exists on later models in the threads about this. I really suspect the TFI is failing sporadically in the heat, but want to find that damn resistor first. The TFI checks out ok on the bench.

Anyone get any clarity on the mysterious 22k ohm resistor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outstanding. Thank you.

My original TFI is black, and the one they sold me last year is grey. The rest of that Tech Tip concurs with what I saw in the harness... connections to pin 4 on the EEC, no 22k resistor, and slightly different wiring pattern than Haynes shows sans that resistor.

I've traced and verified all the wires from the EEC to all ignition components, so I'm pretty sure the no-start is from heat (it's like 100 degrees here right now) and a faulty TIF. I might attribute the wrong TIF module I got last year to some very subtle drive problems, and of course the 212 code.

Great post, thanks again. That one definitely goes in the files.

P.S. may not be news to others, but I hate printing stuff like this in IE, it ****les the formatting. Been using Mozilla Firefox, and you can adjust the print parameters and print out something like the above post perfectly.... too cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from Zone, we tested the old (somewhat functional) and new (suspect) TFIs. Both failed, though it took more than one test run to get the newer to fail. Of course the only one they had was the incorrect Grey one. Picked it up anyway to have a spare, and will find the lifetime warranty paper for the other one I bought last year.

Should be back on the road tomorrow.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top