Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. Transmission fluid in recently purchased 94 Bronco is really dirty. It doesn't smell burnt but it is ugly to look at. I have no idea how long since it was changed. It wouldn't surprise me if it's never been done. (191,000 miles) I know Ford recommends NOT changing fluid that has been in that long. What is worse, running fluid that is obviously bad or replacing it and taking the chance of the new fluid causing problems.

EG

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i woudl run and inline filter in it and change it weekly till the fluid is cleaned up, then change it. i didnt do that i just drained and filled at 176k and it was fine. mine was the same way, not burnt but looked really nasty

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,122 Posts
See the problem is, is that once the clutches start to wear out, the friction material is now in the fluid. So, if it hasn't been changed out for a long while, and you change it, the clutches that are worn, have no friction material in the fluid to "bite". Basically your shocking the trans. If you want to change it, I suggest adding a quart of Lucas trans fix in with the new fluid. This basically will put the friction back into the fluid. Can't gaurantee that it'll be ok after a change, but I added a quart of Lucas into my trans back in Jan '09, and it's still running strong. I added the Lucas due to my torque converter was starting to shudder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts