Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

I didn’t remove the radius arms or coils from the beams because this has taken long enough already.. But one side clean.

And sling some more paint.

And one side in. Used poly pivot beam bushings and they were horrible to install. Not to mention wrestling it back into place by myself. Other side should be fun. Now I remember why I like solid axles..

That’s where this slow project currently sits.

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Other side all clean..

After replacing inner axle seals, u joint and reinstalling the diff it was time for more paint..

This is always a bear by myself but after using a couple jacks, ratchet straps, my arms and legs, etc. I finally managed to wrestle it into place.

But of course nothing ever goes as planned. Bolt for the upper coil spring retainer snapped. After finally extracting the broken bolt I found a random nut and bolt in my bin and just drilled the holes larger.

Hopefully things will go faster now with those parts done..

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Still been busy with working on golf carts and other stuff but some progress is better than none..

Had to get the longer studs for the spindles since the shorter abs ones are hard to find and expensive. I just cut them off shorter afterwards.
Here’s one of the axle shafts after sandblasting and a new u joint, but before paint.

After installing axle shafts, spindles, steering, etc..

Painted sway bar back in with new poly bushings (the old bushings were almost non-existent with the inner metal sleeves rusted to the bolts.

I went with polyurethane bushings wherever I could. I know people say they ride rougher but I daily drive a F350 and drive my vehicles hard so poly bushings will hold up better for me.

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cleaned, painted driveshaft with new u joints.

Finished pic before I dropped down the suspension to bolt in the shocks.

Trimmed the frame rails for the. 08-10 bumper.

Decent fit (Still want to bedline it and build a crossmember for inside the bumper with hitch and recovery points).

Finally driving and out of the garage..

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Started into the rear end a couple weeks ago.

Muffler was rusted out but I already knew that..

Rusty but not as bad as the front end.

Safest way I’ve ever dropped a full tank.

So a previous owner swapped on a new shackle and hanger to one side but the other side was starting to rust through so out comes the air chisel again.

Lots of cleaning and paint later..

So I’m swapping a new skid plate in from Desolate Motorsports and since the tank and pump were newer from a previous owner I just cleaned it up lightly.

After some acid etch primer and adhesion promoter.

And then Raptor liner..

An example of the smoother finish when spraying at a higher psi.

Installed..

Rear axle..
A previous owner already swapped bearings, seals, etc. so I’m leaving those alone for now. Also the brakes have about half life left so less work for me for now..

First axle I’ve ever gotten with factory limited slip. Seems to function fine also.

And more sandblasting.

Hopefully I can be driving in a week or so. Daily F350 is having issues so I need to hurry along more now..

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ready for some paint.

Rear driveshaft was crusty and hard to get apart.

This is the transfer case skid plate from my 89, need to clean and paint it.

Cat back exhaust to replace the rusted through muffler.

Need to get the rear sway bar back on.

Finally driving. Just need to get bumpers, hitch and sway bar done.

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I got some more of the front bumper work done. Ended up trimming a lot from the bottom of the bumper. Forgot to get a before shot but if you’ve seen the underside of the superduty bumpers you’d understand. The tires barely rubbed, I more trimmed because I didn’t want the plastic piece that hangs underneath or any of the associated bracketry.

Clean..

After raptor liner.

I also sprayed and installed the grill from the 92 since this one was all cracked up. I’ll spray headlight bezels when I get new headlights.

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Next up, rear bumper.. Bought one from desolate motorsports along with the skid plate and hitch. Needed to make a few additions though. Was going to ask about ordering it in bare steel but completely forgot. Always hard to cut up a fancy new product.

Rough cut out (squares and rectangles suck)

Smooth enough..

After adding holes for the trailer plug, tag lights and reverse lights.

And I also raptor lined it..of course.

Anyone else use these water resistant plugs from electrical hub? They’re awesome, been using them on lights and stuff for years.

And just a decent picture..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great job so far! Can I ask what your process is for painting the frame? I've been sanding down, spraying Black Star rust converter and then using just some chassis spray paint. Trying to decide if I like the way I'm doing it or if I need to adjust.

·
Erik
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Great job so far! Can I ask what your process is for painting the frame? I've been sanding down, spraying Black Star rust converter and then using just some chassis spray paint. Trying to decide if I like the way I'm doing it or if I need to adjust.
For the frame I’ve cleaned it with various wire wheels and flap discs on the grinder all the way to shiny steel. Used steel wool and a hand wire brush to get into small cracks. If the frame wasn’t still bolted to the bronco I would have sandblasted it. Then I just clean off the surface with something like brake clean and spray it with 3+ coats of black rustoleum. Has held up for years on my other trucks. But I want to try something like steel it coatings or tractor paint on the 92 frame when it’s eventually clean because I’ll have that one stripped down 100%.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For the frame I’ve cleaned it with various wire wheels and flap discs on the grinder all the way to shiny steel. Used steel wool and a hand wire brush to get into small cracks. If the frame wasn’t still bolted to the bronco I would have sandblasted it. Then I just clean off the surface with something like brake clean and spray it with 3+ coats of black rustoleum. Has held up for years on my other trucks. But I want to try something like steel it coatings or tractor paint on the 92 frame when it’s eventually clean because I’ll have that one stripped down 100%.
Awesome thanks! Love the bumper work btw!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts