Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is a 1994 F-150,4x4, extra cab w/5.8L engine and E4OD Trans.

Having trans shifting problems. Trans shifts hard between 1st and 2nd, and between 3rd and O.D. So far I have changed the vss and tone ring in/on rearend. (found wire for vss rubbed through on crossmember in front of rear fuel tank) That fixed the cruise control and bouncing speedo. Also changed the MLPS on trans and had trans serviced, some metal shavings on magnet in pan. Fixed corroded, loose battery terminals. I'm in the process of changing the TPS and having trouble getting the closed throttle voltage in the correct range. I just noticed that the throttle body has ' 50L ' cast on it and I was wondering if this is a 5 liter throttle body. ( measures 52mm across each hole) The flat blade that fits into the TPS doesn't seem to be wide enough. It keeps slipping off the tabs in the TPS.

Back to the Trans: From what I have read it seems that I should possibly be looking at the solenoid pack inside the trans.

Any help with all this would be great, Thanks.:rockon

·
Super Moderator
26,996 Posts
yo LANCE,

Did you do a Self-Test for Codes yet?
Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:
KOEO
&
KOER

For Throttle Body Ford SHORT VERSION pn see (but call Ford dealer parts ****r for long version PN for the 5.8 and 5.0;
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1994&m=Ford&mo=F-150#Search
1994 Ford F-150 View Image 9E926 Fuel Injection Throttle Body
5.0L; A/T
w/5.8 View Image 9E926 Fuel Injection Throttle Body; U/8500, A/T
==

I do believe there are diff Ford part numbers for the TPS in 5.0 vs 5.8;

see them in this TSB

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Function & Diagnosis TSB 94-26-4 for 93-95
Source: by Ford via Chilton

see my site for TPS tests etc LINKs @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=137

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy at the trans shop said he ran the test for codes, and the only one that came up was the TPS. So I changed it. But, I'm gonna check them again myself.

Thank You for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Lance,

The TPS outputs a voltage directly proportional to the throttle opening. As the accelerator is depressed the throttle plate opens and the TPS voltage increases. The TPS assists the PCM in determining transmission shift points, converter lock-up and, along with the MAP and MAF sensor, are main PCM indicators of acceleration and load. In other words, the PCM looks at these sensors to calculate engine operation upon acceleration.

Also, don't worry about the TPS test range...

See this link: Throttle Position Sensor Management

1 - 5 of 5 Posts