Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading and searching til my eyes bleed about cams, cam swaps, ect on here the last two weeks as I think it would be a good addition to my f250 I'm wanting to build. I've been assuming my 1994 f250 351w speed density is a roller ready block but is still a hydraulic flat tappet cam. I was looking at the comp cam 35-255-5 as recommended on here. Is there anyway to identify if the trucks cam, not the block, is roller with out tearing into it? This will be my first motor project so I don't want to dive right in I want to gather the parts before touching anything. I understand the block is stamped for roller ready, but is there some where in the vin or somewhere else for if the cam is roller or flat? Ideally I'd only change the cam for now wanting an improvement that doesn't require changing other stock parts.

If this cam does not work for this engine and it needs a roller cam I was thinking the comp cam 35-512-8 would be a decent option.

I really appreciate any help or advice thanks guys:toothless

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,455 Posts
My van F4TE block had a roller cam in it...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I read on here I have roller cam, however when I go to compatability on summit and amazon it says the roller cams (35-512-8) is not a fit in my truck (the year for 302 goes until 95 though) and both show the 35-255-5 flat tappet does fit :banghead This is why I'm confused and looking for a way to find out.

There is a brand new 35-512-8 floating around on craigslist which I would pick up if I knew the truck was roller but don't want to buy something useless either, I was looking to not upgrade the motor besides just putting the cam in

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,067 Posts
Could pull the distributor and then look at the gear, this should tell you if its a roller or not. If it is a roller should be a steel gear

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
Is there anyway to identify if the trucks cam, not the block, is roller with out tearing into it?
Depends on what you call "tearing into it"

Could pull the distributor and then look at the gear, this should tell you if its a roller or not. If it is a roller should be a steel gear
:stupid

Or you could pull a valve cover, then a rocker arm. Pull out and measure a pushrod.

351 W Ford - Stock Length pushrod 8.150" - non roller block

94-97 F4TE blocks equipped with a roller cam used a 7.567" pushrod.

There's roughly about a half inch difference between the two.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone familar with Jasper rebuilds? The engine in my 1990 Bronco was replaced with a Jasper rebuild in 2004 by the original owner. I have minimal paperwork - packing slip for the engine and a bill from the shop that installed it. Is there an easy way to tell if this has the flat tappet or roller engine?

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,455 Posts
Anyone familar with Jasper rebuilds? The engine in my 1990 Bronco was replaced with a Jasper rebuild in 2004 by the original owner. I have minimal paperwork - packing slip for the engine and a bill from the shop that installed it. Is there an easy way to tell if this has the flat tappet or roller engine?
Yeah, check the block casting as I doubt they stuck a rare F4TE block in there..

How about this OP, just buy the damn roller can and deal with it when the time comes... Drilling and tapping two holes is the majority of the work required if it isn't already there...

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Found a flaw in that link. The 93 5.0 was a roller cam with the standard firing order. Says roller cam started in 94.
Good catch! But I now believe that the 5.0L roller cam may have actually came in 1992. Here is a posting I read regarding a reply from Ford:

When asked FoMoCo about roller cams in cars & trucks, they basically said Mustang 5.0L & Truck 5.0L got a roller block in 1988. The Mustang's started using a roller cam in '88 models, but trucks used a flat tappet cam (with the same Mustang roller block) thru 1991 models. That would lead me to believe '92 was the first year for the roller cam in 302 truck engines.
My blog does list the 5.0L firing order of 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 prior to 1994, and the 5.0L HO firing order of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 starting in 1994.

I will make a correction in my Blog Post.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
Even that posting is incorrect. The roller cam started in the mustangs in 85. It was a carb model with fuel injection following in 86.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been real busy haven't had a chance to check the truck yet, but another question. To swap over to roller if it isn't a roller cam, but is a roller ready block, most threads Im finding here say get the roller stuff from a 302 (can't find many good detailed threads so far) . Wouldn't it just be easier if I grab everything from a 96-97 roller cammed 351w? Or is it the same exact push rods, and other roller parts in the 302?
I assume the swap wouldn't be involved as the block is already roller ready.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
Everything will work from the 302 except the pushrods. 351 deck height is bigger therefore the pushrods would be too short.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just be careful on your cam selection if you are staying speed density because it will not adapt as well to a bigger cam like mass air.In a lot of the selection for roller sbf cams you will see that they will be to radical for speed density.I have had good results with comp cams 93-95 Lightning cam,I don't have the number but if you call them they will have the info,I think it also requires a different gear on the dizzy as well so ask if you decide to inquire about it.There are zero driveability issues also idles great,that's my two cents and good luck on cam choice.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Hey, I'm not trying to hijack your thread here... but do you know if you have speed density and upgrade to a roller motor, do you have to switch to MAF?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
Hey, I'm not trying to hijack your thread here... but do you know if you have speed density and upgrade to a roller motor, do you have to switch to MAF?
No....They produced rollers with speed density. But depending on which cam you're using, you may be better off with the MAF :thumbup

·
Registered
38 Posts
No you can stay SD with a roller cam just keep it somewhat mild,if you choose to go with a larger more radical cam then the need for a tweecer or quarter horse tuner may come into play.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
No....They produced rollers with speed density. But depending on which cam you're using, you may be better off with the MAF :thumbup
Thanks... I'm working on having an engine built and was just wondering if I should go roller, or stick with what I have. I just didn't know if I did decide to go roller, if I would have to change to MAF. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts