Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:whiteflag

Whats up gents, first timer here. I decided to do the front brakes on my 94 Bronco. I ended up doing the brakes, then found the rotors pretty bad so I took them to get turned. Rotors were too far gone so I had to get new ones. :banghead Got the bolts out but the ABS fin looking thing wouldn't budge so I took it to get pressed off the rotor. I regreased everything and replaced the seals. Put new pads on and had a bi$%h of a time getting the caliper back on.

I used the awesome post from DcSkater602 to do it all. I buttoned it all back up, now it pulls to the left a bit when driving.

I think it might be that I tightened the 4-prong nut that goes in just after the bearing too tight. They were only hand tight when I took it apart but thought it needed to be a bit tighter. I just snugged it and did not crank it on both sides.

Any other ideas before I take it all apart again??

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
1. possible bad caliper...could be sticking on you.
2. get a Haynes manual...there are specific torque specs and instructions on how to reinstall the hubs and bearings...

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
I agree. Quite often after a brake job when they haven't been done in a while there will be some rust/grit in the caliper piston that gets lodged when you compress it with your c-clamp. When I do front brakes I usually have someone push on the brake pedal to force the piston out then run it back in with the c-clamp. I'll do this a couple times to try and make sure they're operating freely. I've had the same problem you're having but not since I started doing it this way. BTW if you do this be careful when the helper is pushing the brake pedal or the piston can come all the way out. I usually keep the c-clamp in position to stop the piston from going too far. This is just me, I've never had this method verified by a "certified" brake dude but it's worked for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'll try that. I do have a Chilton Manual but from what I have been reading Haynes is better, more specific, or even a ford manual.

Is it OK to WD40 the piston? When running the piston back and forth I assume the caliper is off and use a piece of wood with the clamp?

·
Super Moderator
26,694 Posts
as above &/or fluid or grease on pads/rotor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts