Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware the slippery slope...i have my original 86 5.0 engine sitting on the stand, it has 123k original miles on it and i have found some skirt scratches at the bottom of two of the cylinder bores, about an inch long and i can barely catch them with my fingernail. The valves and tops of the pistons look good and uniformly clean, no signs of oil burning. The engine did have quite a bit of sludge in it though settled under the intake and on the tops of the heads under the valve covers.
My transmission overhaul ended up being a good bit less than I had originally budgeted for, now im thinking about just swapping out for a new long block.

My question, will my 1986 EFI and computer work with a 1994 roller cam long block? A reman long block from OReilly is 1600ish dollars. I can get one non-roller for a couple hundred less, but figure while im in there, ill just get the upgrade.

My wallet really wants me to just stick my current engine back together and truck on, but my nit picky side doesnt want to be taking the engine out again in a couple of years if something goes bad.

I welcome all advice, and no, i don't want to get a junkyard engine and put in it, leaves me exactly where i am now. I want new with warranty.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
Your answer is yes, your computer will run the engine just fine. Make sure to put all your accessories onto the block.

But the most IMPORTANT part of this swap which you'll not want to forget is the distributor gear must match the cam. Roller cams are steel and require a steel gear. Your 86 distributor comes factory with an iron flat tappet cam with an iron distributor gear.

Just pick up a distributor for a late 80s mustang and you'll be ok.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Something to keep in mind the parts store engine rebuilds are not that great of quality. At least that's what was said years ago. I'd put them on the same level as blaines and city motor supply here which may be cheaper. City Motor Supply Blaine's Motor Supply

I can't say anything more as I like used oem + local rebuilder or diy.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something to keep in mind the parts store engine rebuilds are not that great of quality. At least that's what was said years ago. I'd put them on the same level as blaines and city motor supply here which may be cheaper. City Motor Supply Blaine's Motor Supply

I can't say anything more as I like used oem + local rebuilder or diy.
Yeah, all things i have definitely investigated. I found a rebuilder that has 4 star reviews on BBB website (thats where i look for REAL reviews) that can get me a setup for 1900, but i am investigating just rebuilding mine if i can find a good local machine shop. I havent needed one in 20 years and the one i used the guy retired...

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
Just remember this; your heads are E6's and they are a one year wonder. Ford thought it was a good idea to change the combustion chamber to a heart shape design..... lasted just one year, 1986

If you're going to rebuild yours, look for a set of E7's heads minimum. GT40s would be even better...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just remember this; your heads are E6's and they are a one year wonder. Ford thought it was a good idea to change the combustion chamber to a heart shape design..... lasted just one year, 1986

If you're going to rebuild yours, look for a set of E7's heads minimum. GT40s would be even better...
Actually, I got lucky, my 86 was built early in the cycle and I have an 85 engine in mine with the E5 heads which are in all essence the same as the E7’s I was a little weirded out and thought it was replaced at one time but the vin is stamped on the rear of the engine that matches...so that was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm with ya, If I was putting in a engine into my Bronco I would be ordering a engine with the upgrades. A parts store 1994 roller engine is so close to your stock flat tappet that your EEC will run it just fine. Order it and run it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts