Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Bronco XLT 5.0, E4OD, 31x10.5R15 BF Goodrich A/T on OEM Rims, Rust Resto w/Custom Suspension
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new shell and I'm getting ready to rebuild my tailgate. For those of you that have done it, would you install TG glass before or after installing it in the vehicle? I really don't want to shatter another one...

·
Super Moderator
29,768 Posts
Yo thedeuce01,
Tailgate Internals Swap by member Dustin S @ Tailgate Replacement

He includes Safety tips;
"...close the latch on the driver's side to allow the window to move while the tailgate is down. I moved the glass until it was halfway out. Make sure the glass is supported- I used an adjustable stand that was originally used as a table saw extension stand."
&
If your regulator is still in good shape, you should prevent the arms from moving before taking out the motor. I used a bolt and a bracket I found around the garage to secure the arms from snapping together.

&
The next step is to remove the bracket holding the torsion bar to the body. Take extreme care here as the bar packs a lot of force. I recommend trying to remove the bracket while the tailgate is as closed as possible to relieve pressure on the bar. I was foolish enough to do it with the tailgate down. Both bolts broke off allowing the bar to snap back and sent the bracket off to never-never land. I was never able to find the bracket so I had to get another one.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,050 Posts
I would do it after.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I would do it after as well. The tailgate is heavy enough w/o the glass installed, and you need to align the tailgate hinges and the torsion bar at the same time, so keep it as light as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts