Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bronco Gurus,
Was driving my 94/5.8 in town yesterday. As a result of someone having a close call in the lane I was in, I had to swerve to the other lane and jam on the accelerator to avoid getting hit by the semi barreling down. As I did this, I felt the transmission kick down, felt what seemed like a really hard shift, but it never made the shift as the RPMs went up to 3-4k+.
I coasted it around a corner and onto a side street. Put it in park and shut it down. After my heart returned to normal,
I started it up, started and selected D, can feel it go to a gear, press on the gas and the RPM goes way up and the there is very very very little movement forward. Like it is starting in the highest gear. Selected R, 2 and 1 with the same result. Selected 4x4 and still the same. No fluid puddles or major leaks, and no loose lines or wires.
This is a re-manufactured FORD transmission with 52K on it.
Thoughts? Possible causes or something someone else has experienced with their Bronco?
Bringing it to a reputable transmission shop, but would like to have some ideas before the tow truck gets it to them.
Much appreciated.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
Test your throttle position sensor FIRST! Before taking it to the trans shop....

The throttle position sensor controls your shifts and since you "JAMMED" down on the throttle, it may be stuck in wide open throttle signal sending.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo tdmbronco,
Welcome!

E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Is it flashing while driving?

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

As sackman advised, Throttle Position Sensor TPS Testing, Replacement & Adjustment by Seattle FSB @ Throttle Position Sensor Testing, Replacement and Adjustment
□▪□
1994 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1994-Ford-Bronco.pdf

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by Ford via BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search, How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts & more tips!

BabaLooey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting."

Try to find time to participate in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest (soon to be Quarter) & later in the year Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott,
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but need to ask - if the TPS got stuck in the wide open signal, wouldn't the engine be revving at high RPM as well? Just unplug the TPS ans start it up and test it, or swapping out the TPS a better way of trouble shooting it?
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miesk5,
Thanks for the welcome. Wish it was under better circumstances.

No flashing TCIL with the truck running.
I'm going to read the link for testing the TPS and see what that gives me, then check the speed control recall. Since the cruise control hasn't worked in this truck since shortly after I bought it in 98, I'm certain any required recall work on that system hasn't been completed.

I appreciate the help.
Tim

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo Tim,
YW!
Test for codes too.GL!

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Miesk5,
Does the PCM control the shifts of the transmission? or is there a module of some sort on/in the transmission that controls them?

Asking as about 3 months ago, I had to replace the PCM because the 5v signal coming from the PCM was not steady and the truck would occasionally stall on me. I replaced it with a PCM from Pro-Tech and it had been running fine. As I was trouble shooting the PCM issue, I changed the TPS for a new motorcraft TPS.

If the codes don't give me any new info, thinking it might worth swapping the originals back and seeing if that isolates the problem.

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I should have written the EEC was having an issue putting out a steady 5v - not the PCM. My bad

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
Scott,
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but need to ask - if the TPS got stuck in the wide open signal, wouldn't the engine be revving at high RPM as well? Just unplug the TPS ans start it up and test it, or swapping out the TPS a better way of trouble shooting it?
Thanks
Tim
No because the airflow isn't there unless you press the accelerator down.

You may experience a slightly higher idle though. And trouble starting too.

There are a couple tech threads that show how to test the TPS. Don't just replace it, test it first. This is also a part that you should use strictly Motorcraft replacements.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Miesk5,
Does the PCM control the shifts of the transmission? or is there a module of some sort on/in the transmission that controls them?
Asking as about 3 months ago, I had to replace the PCM because the 5v signal coming from the PCM was not steady and the truck would occasionally stall on me. I replaced it with a PCM from Pro-Tech and it had been running fine. As I was trouble shooting the PCM issue, I changed the TPS for a new motorcraft TPS.

If the codes don't give me any new info, thinking it might worth swapping the originals back and seeing if that isolates the problem.
Yo T,
"Transmission gear selection in the (D) range and converter clutch operation is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650). Operating conditions are relayed to powertrain control module by various sensors throughout the vehicle. The powertrain control module compares these conditions with electronically stored parameters and logically determines how the transmission should operate.

Transmission shift selection and torque converter clutch operation are controlled by the PCM. They are calibrated to provide the optimal transmission state. This state is commanded to the transmission solenoid body.

In the (D) range, automatic operation of all four gears is possible. The transmission control switch, located on the vehicle's shift lever disables overdrive operation and enables automatic operation through the first three gears. Whenever the ignition switch is turned on, the vehicle will automatically provide overdrive operation regardless of the switch position the last time the vehicle was running." by Ford

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does the speedometer work? These get the speed signal from the ABS sensor in the rear axle. The ABS module sends the signal to the instrument cluster which sends it to the PCM. I had one in the shop that had a bad cluster causing the trans not to shift. The PCM didn't know the truck was moving.

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The speedometer and odometer work without any issues. I know the issue a bad cluster and PSOM can cause, I had that one about two years ago and it took a while to troubleshoot it down to the PSOM. Once that was repaired, the transmission has been working perfectly, right up to this situation.

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Miesk5,
Two part question for you -1) Is there a list somewhere of what sensors provide input to the PCM other than the TPS?
2) - do you know of a good reference source for removal and reinstall of the E4OD? Looks like Xtreme Performance has a good E4OD replacement and if this transmission is toast, gonna to need to change it. I've done a few manual transmissions on older Mustangs, I've never attempted a auto transmission swap and don't want to get in over my head.

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ran the KOEO self test and KOER and no DTC codes indicating an issue were flashed. Also checked the TPS and it is within specs. Just to be sure I swapped in the original TPS which was still good and no change.
The O/D LED is off so not suspecting the PCM has gone bad.
Several people have recommended a local shop, thinking it is time to bring it to them and see what they can come up with.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo T,
See E4OD Electronic System Description @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series
Here's an overview of components: see above hot link to overviews and possible Diagnostic Trouble Codes for each.

●○●

E4OD Removal in 96 Bronco/F Series Workshop Manual @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series
installation @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj71a41.htm33

■□■

1994 Ford Truck Bronco Full Size E4OD
Transmission

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED
Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301) at the battery.
2. Remove fluidl level indicator.
3. Place transmission gearshift selector lever in NEUTRAL position.
4. Raise vehicle on a hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle.
5. Remove skid plate (4x4 vehicles).
6. On 4x4 models only. remove front driveshaft.
7. Remove rear driveshaft.
8. Disconnect shift cable, or linkage on F-Super Duty Motorhome and Commercial vehicles.
9. On 4x4 models only, (mechanical shift systems) remove shift linkage from transfer case shift lever. Disconnect connector at transfer case..

CAUTION: Do not attempt to pry tabs with pry bar or screwdriver.

10. Remove manual lever position sensor connector by squeezing connector tabs and pulling on connector.
11. Remove muffler (5230) and tail pipe assembly (5.8L Lightning Truck applications only). On 7.3L DI Turbo Diesel, remove exhaust crossover.
12. Remove nuts retaining three-way catalytic convener (5E212) to exhaust manifolds (9430) (5.8L Lightning Truck application only) and let assembly rest on frame (5005).

13. To remove solenoid body connector transmission heat shield loosen two bolts using an 8mm wrench. Remove transmission heat shield.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to pry tab with pry bar or screwdriver.
14. Remove solenoid body connector carefully by pushing on the center tab end pulling on the wire harness.

15. On 4x4 models only, remove four-wheel drive switch connector from transfer case, Use care not to over extend tabs.
16 Carefully pry wire harness locator from ext housing wire bracket.
17. On 4x4 models only remove wire harness locators from left side of rear engine support (6A023).
18. Remove lower torque convener cover bolts using a 1O mm socket and remove cover.
19. Remove rear engine cover plate bolts
20. Remove starter.
21. Remove access hole rubber plug Use a 15/16 inch socket to rotate crankshaft (6202) to gain access to the converter drain plug. Remove plug. Drain torque converte .
22. Rotate crankshaft bolt to gain access to converter nuts. Using a 9/16 inch socket, remove four converter mounting nuts and discard.
23. Place Rotunda E40D Transmission Adapter 014-00763 or equivalent on universal transmission jack and position adapter.
Placement of Positioning Pins
24. Use a safety strap to secure transmission.
NOTE: Transmission may have to be raised to gain adequate clearance to remove rear engine support.
25. Remove the two rear transmission mounting pad nuts using an 18mm socket. Remove crossmember- to-frame bolts and remove rear engine support from transmission.
Crossmember Installation, E- and F-Series Vehicles.
NOTE:
Case connector fitting should be held with wrench to prevent it from moving when loosening tube nut.
26. Remove transmission oil cooler tubes using a 1/2-inch flare nut wrench from transmission case. Cap transmission oil cooler tubes and plug fittings at transmission. The F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis requires the use of a 5/8-inch tube nut wrench.
27. Remove four torque converter housing bolts.
28. Shift transmission to the left and remove three-way catalytic converter from vehicle (5.8L Lightning Truck applications only).
29. Back out transmission assembly from flywheel and gently lower while watching for any obstructions.
CAUTION: Torque converter is very heavy.
NOTE: Fluid loss will occur when torque converter is removed.
30. Install Torque Converter Handles T81P-7902-C on torque converter with handles in the 6 and 12 o'clock positions. Carefully remove torque converter from transmission by pulling evenly on handles.
31. Remove transmission Oil filler tube rom lube oil inlet short tube
32. On 4x4 models only, remove transfer case vent hose from detent bracket.
33. On 4x4 models only, remove the transfer case from the transmission.

Installation
Transmission

Before installing transmission, check wiring harness for damage. Check connectors for electrical integrity (terminal condition, corrosion, contamination and seal integrity). Repair or replace as required.
1. Place transmission onto E4OD Transmission Adapter 014-00763 or equivalent.
2. On 4x4 models only, install transfer case to transmission.on F-Super Duty Models, install transmission mounted parking brake.

CAUTION: Use care when installing torque converter to avoid damage to the stator support Teflon seal.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo T,
Sorry 'bout missing images, my tablet maxed out as well as our sites images are restricted to 20 per post.
NOTE: Check the converter crankshaft pilot for nicks or damaged surfaces that could cause interference when installing the transmission to engine. Check the converter impeller hub for nicks or sharp edges that would damage the pump seal.
3. Install torque converter using Torque Converter Handles T81P-7902-C. Carry torque converter with the handles in the 6 and 12 o'clock positions. Push and rotate the torque converter onto the pump until it bottoms Out.
. Check the seating of the torque convener by placing a straightedge across the converter housing. There must be a gap between the converter pilot face and the straightedge.
4. Remove converter handles.
5. Check condition of oil filler tube 0-ring, replace it damaged. Install oil filler tube.
6. Rotate torque converter Studs to align with flywheel mounting holes.
7. Raise transmission into position while watching for any obstructions. Do not allow torque converter drive flats to disengage from pump gear. Rubber converter drain plug cover may be removed to aid in the alignment of the converter studs. Use care not to damage the flywheel and converter pilot. The torque converter must rest squarely against the flywheel This indicates that the torque converter pilot is not binding in the engine crankshaft.
8. Install transmission-to-engine bolts. Alternately tighten bolts using a 5/8 inch socket. Alternately tighten bolts to 51-70 Nm (38-52 ft-lb) for gas engine applications, or to 86-90 N.m (63-66 ft-lb) for diesel engine applications.
9. Install rubber converter drain plug cover, if removed.
10. Shift transmission to the left and position three-may catalytic converter to the exhaust manifolds (5.8L Lightning Truck applications only).

NOTE:Case connector fitting should be held with wrench to prevent it from moving when tightening tube nut.

11. Install transmission Oil cooler tubes to transmission fittings. Tighten to 24-31 Nm (18-23 ft-lb) on all applications except F-Super Duty vehicles. Tighten transmission oil cooler tube fittings to 24-31 Nm (18-23 ft-lb) for F-Super Duty applications.
12. Install rear engine support and transmissi0n retaining bolts. Make sure that wiring harness is properly routed.
13. Remove safety strap and universal high lift transmission jack.
14. Rotate crankshaft using a 15/16-inch socket on front pulley bolt to gain access to torque convener studs. Install new stud nuts using 9/16-inch socket. Tighten to 34-46 Nm (25-34 ft-lb).
15 Install starter motor (11001).
16. Install rear engine plate cover and lower dust cover bolts. Tighten to specifications.

Crossmember Installation, E- and F-Series Vehicle
17. Completely seat solenoid body connector into solenoid valve body receptacle by pushing on the top of the connector. An audible click indicates full contact. Verify connection by pulling on harness.
18. Install solenoid body connector transmission heat shield with off-set bending inward. Tighten to 9-11 Nm (80-100 in-lb).19. On 4x4 models only, install new harness locations into rear engine support.
20. Install new wire harness locator into extension housing wire bracket.
21. Install four-wheel drive switch connector, if equipped.
22. Connect transfer case shift linkage, if equipped.
23. Install manual lever position switch connector. As audible click indicates full connection.
24. Install shift cable, or linkage on F-Super Duty Motorhome and Commercial vehicles.
25. Install parking brake cable (F-Super Duty).
26. Install muffler and tailpipe and crossover assembly. (5.8L Lightning Truck and 7.3L DI Diesel applications only). See: Exhaust System
27 Install rear driveshaft. See: Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints
28. On 4x4 models only, install front driveshaft.
29. Remove safety stands and lower vehicle.

NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the Powertrain Control Module relearns its adaptive strategy The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the strategy.

30. Connect battery ground cable.
31. Fill the transmission to the proper level with Motorcraft MERCON V Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid (E4AZ-19582-B) or equivalent. Refer to Fluid Capacity​
By Automobile Repair Reference Center (ARRC)​

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Miesk5,
Thank you!!! It's knowledge from this forum that makes keeping these vehicles on the road a heck of a lot easier. Without the guidance you guys have provided over the years, I'm certain my Bronco would have become a lawn ornament by this point. I'll post an update regarding what I find and what the fix was.
Tim

·
Registered
1994 5.8L, E40D, XLT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to say thank you all for the help with this problem. After the troubleshooting and following the suggestions that were posted, I could not find anything wrong electronically with the truck. I wound up having it towed to a transmission shop that numerous contacts from my local mustang club recommended. The component that failed was the torque converter.

The original transmission on the truck lasted 180K, which included towing a Mustang on an auto trailer from WA to TX and TX to VA (military moves). The one that just failed was a reman from Ford which was installed in Jun 2013. It only had 52K on it and had not been abused by any stretch of the imagination. Comparing the cost and warranties from the local shop and Ford, I opted to have the transmission shop rebuild it.

Hopefully I made the correct decision and this one lasts a while longer.

Again, thank you all for the help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.