Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on the site about a year now and am constantly amazed at how well documented everything is. Using the search function will yield you numerous results on just about anything with these trucks. That being said, its hard to contribute as a newbie so another user recommended I start a build forum on my Bronco. While I would love a mint ride as much as anyone, my truck is a weekend ride that I use for hunting in Fall/Winter (and yes it does see old logging roads and the hubs get locked!), freelance plowing in the occasional winter snowstorm, and having fun in the summer. My ride is plagued with several of the "normal" issues we all have, and some are worth addressing to me and others I just live with. Like all of us these days, I am on a budget and try to do everything as cheap as I can without sacrificing too much. That being said my plan is to let you guys know how much I spend on things and hopefully that sheds light for someone else debating whether or not to repair something on their own.

Having owned the truck for a year I'll bring you up to speed with the few things I have done (sorry no pics but am starting to take them going forward).

1. Bought my ride in November last year for $1,300. 1994 XLT w/5.0 and 134k miles.
2. Truck had a rough idle when I bought it (part of how I got it so cheap). Just cleaned the IAC and idle problems smoothed out! Cost $2.40 for TB and Intake cleaner from Advance (online special).
3. Had heavy brake dusted over chrome pizza cutters and bald highway tires to start. I bought a total of 6 BFG AT's (31") with about 30% tread left and 4 factory aluminum rims on CL for $180. Sold original rims/tires for $80 on CL so plus $100 on the tires.
4. Drivers seat frame was cracked in half beyond repair. Took that out and got another one (color matching) from local JY for $50.
5. Rear window wasn't working so I tested the switch on the dash and determined it wasn't working. This I decided to purchase new from Ford and it set me back $55. Now the dash switch definitely sends power properly but still only intermittent use of rear window... another issue to track down.
6. PO installed new rear brake shoes but put them on backwards... which caused one shoe to crack??? Also the left rear wheel cylinder was blown. New wheel cylinder was $6.18 from Advance. I also bought hardware kits, for each drum at $10/ea. My father in law had new rear shoes for his old F150 that he sold and gave those to me for free.
7. Had airbag light blinking and after checking on here determined it was likely the clock spring. After horn stopped working that confirmed it. Installed a new one and all works again and no more blinking light! Cost $37.04 from Advance (online special).

That brings you up to speed with the few things I have done. Total investment including vehicle purchase and current repairs is at $1,570.62 and I have gotten a years worth of use out of it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Recently had a couple issues with the Bronco. For the last few weeks I have noticed a thumping noise getting louder and louder due to the drivers side radius arm bushing wearing away to nothing. Also, after coming out of the woods hunting last weekend I started it up and the brake pedal went to the floor. Turns out the metal brake line going to the brake hose on the left front rusted through. Left truck there and came back and fixed it the next night and found a tiny hole in another brake line up front. Got it home and decided to tear some things apart on the front end and get done some things I have been meaning to do for awhile but just didn't want to deal with the down time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivers side radius arm bracket already had bolts in it that replaced the factory rivets :thumbup but a peek at the passenger side revealed the rivets were still there :madder Here is a pic after I removed the drivers side RA bracket.

Here are the rusty shock and coil spring I want to replace

Here you can see the brake line in the middle I replace the other night. One on the right has a tiny leak. I plan to just replace it and the one on the left.

Got the shock and coil spring out. Lots of rust! To remove the shock I just drilled a hole through the top of the plastic wheel well right above the shock. Dropped a ratchet extension down through the top and held onto the shock with channel locks. Shock tower doesn't look too pretty does it?

Wasn't originally planning on replacing the brake hoses but this is bad. Safety I don't mind spending money on.

Here are the shock and coil spring out... NASTY!

I might not have much time this week to do anything with Thanksgiving coming up... I am going out of town but there is still a lot of hunting left this season and I am using that as my motivation to keep moving! Stay tuned! :popc1:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention that I already replaced the rear shocks with new Monroe Reflex's. Those were $77.02 shipped from Amazon.

I have also purchased Monroe Reflex's for the front ($75.20 from Amazon) and Moog CC844 Variable Rate coil springs ($92.80 from Advance, plus that order gave me a coupon for $50 off a future online order of $100 or more). The CC844's are for the F250 diesels but I am using them to help offset the weight of a snowplow setup. I ordered new RH and LH front brake hoses off Amazon for $33.07.

This brings my current cost total to $1,848.71. After seeing how rusty the shock tower is I decided I wanted to replace them but was surprised to see they run around $100/ea. Seems like a lot of money for what it is, but LMC, JBG and Ford all seem to be asking about the same so I guess I just need to pick one and go with it. More than I wanted to spend but I'd rather do it now while everything is off and its easier.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered new shock towers for each side. LH was $85.32 and RH was $65.32 plus $24.60 shipping totals $175.24. Best pricing I could find, this was from www.fordpartsdealer.com. Now I just need to wait to get them in so looks like I'll be back at it after Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's been forever since I added to this thread, but am glad to update that after a summer of boating I got back into this lately. Here is a pic showing the new coil spring buckets, coil springs and shocks. I coated the spring buckets in undercoating spray. You can also see the new brake hose in the corner of the picture.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also had to replace the driver's side radius arm bracket while replacing the radius arm bushings with new poly ones from Energy Suspension. I also cleaned the radius arms and coated them with undercoating spray.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also replaced the three front brake lines going to the ABS module, put in a new O2 sensor and alternator. Here are some pics with it back together.

The F250 diesel coil springs in the front brought the front up a bit, but I don't think the ride is too bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts