Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D44 HP with 4:56's, 4340 shafts, quick lock, 6" Deaver superflex springs, stock 79' arms, and 79' upper coil buckets. Axle is ready to be built today as soon as the UPS guy gets here with my new spindle studs. I have some forward spring bow on the passenger side that can be fine tuned. Here is a few pics of how it sits now.

I have two TTB yard ornaments that i am thinking about having bud (allaxcs) plasma into diff covers for him and myself.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You remember all the posts on the lower mounts and wedges right?
Yeah, those were mostly for the TTB upper SAS right? If not, feel free to school me or post up a link and show me the light.

Once the axle is built, brakes are bled we are going to strap it to dogonmut's trailer and head over to his shop to fab up the track bar and fine tune it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
94_chickentaco said:
Yeah, those were mostly for the TTB upper SAS right? If not, feel free to school me or post up a link and show me the light.

Once the axle is built, brakes are bled we are going to strap it to dogonmut's trailer and head over to his shop to fab up the track bar and fine tune it.
NOPE.

you need some schoolin':goodfinge

first though, I really like the whole color sheme, gonna look awesome!:thumbup lucky you on the color of the superflex coils!! you should buy some cage shocks (they are a silver/grey)

I used JBG upper towers for 78-79's and old style lower mounts and they don't align vertically due to frame difference between our newer trucks and the older ones (which is what the D44 was setup for). so between the lower perches being kinda cockeyed and the verticle misalignment and soft coils, they will bow in the middle some. So I go and take a small bump out of my driveway, and that whole superflex coil bowed straight out in the middle and wedged against my tire!:shocked I had to pull out the highlift and slowly jack the front pass. up and then it slammed back into position. rather embarrasing. The trick was to make 2 small wedges which I welded on the bottom of the lower cups after I pounded those lower cups flatter. Also did what Jopes (think it was him) did and took a grinder to the top of my cage cast C and the stock C to get the top as flat as possible. This now has my coils pointing straight at the upper tower. Final things I did were to NOT use the stock upper metal strap retainer, but rather fashioned my own out of 3/16ths x 1.25" or so flat bar (you can buy a 3' piece of this at like Lowes). I was able to get it to wrap that thinner diameter coil better. Finally, I used 2 small U bolts with straps (again I think they can be had at lowes for cheap and drilled two holes toward the back of the upper tower and bolted these up just in case. They help ensure the upper coil is going no where. (again think I borrowed this trick from Jopes). Hope that helps, I can always get ya a few pics of some of that.

Before the fix:

notice the lower cup, this was installed correctly as well. It just would not align with the upper tower and so it made the coil bow, which with a soft coil and heavy truck is unacceptable.

Fixed on passenger side:

look closely and you can see the welded wedge under the lower cup. Coil now points directly at upper tower.

Upper stuff I mentioned above, before I made it all purdy (actually makes the strap and u bolt easy to see):

That little "Top" writing on the right of the last pic was actually where the top of my TTB tower (coil top) used to be.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Crazedatwork said:
When we had marks sitting on its own weight without a track bar, it was kinda scary, seemed like it wanted to fall to one side or the other. Be careful putting it on the trailer man.
No doubt. The single most important item with this whole coil front is a sturdy tracbar/attching setup. I wouldn't even want to think what the truck would do if it broke.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info,

Yeah thats why i have two ratchet straps in a "X" pattern to get it on the trailer.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
you didnt happen to take a picture of the wedge while it was out did you ?? IM doing the same set up and was told about that. Just wanted to know what I had to do to make it?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
1clean5.8 said:
you didnt happen to take a picture of the wedge while it was out did you ?? IM doing the same set up and was told about that. Just wanted to know what I had to do to make it?

Hehehe, Tim, he wants to know how I made it.:shocked

Well,

for one you need some left over solid stock. I used some 3x3 x 1/2" pieces I had. Then you can:

1) use a bandsaw or some other expensive piece of equip. (which I don't have)
2) use a grinder to slowly take it down to roughly a 4* wedge
3) try a different route with the second and become THE HUMAN BANDSAW, which took me some time with a hacksaw, but actually came out just like it had been bandsawed by machine.:shocked :chili: :doh0715: :cry :duh

after I welded it to the bottom of the cup, I drilled the holes through it and used slightly longer bolts to attach the lower assembly to the top of the C's. This will increase your LIFT some, so keep that in mind.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
where did u get that grill from? ive been looking for a new one and that one is sweet

1 - 20 of 142 Posts