Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to FSB and hopefully I can get the help I need here.
I have a 96 5.0 Bronco which is (MAF) OBD2. My 96 has 302, xxx original miles, runs good in town but not good for the highway and my new 2 hr trip back and forth to work everyday isn't any better. I'm installing a 95 5.0 (MAF) OBD1 which I just found out isn't working out.
The 95 OBD1 motor is going into my 96 which is OBD2. What all do i need to make this work?
I've already swapped the timing cover along with the harmonic balancer from the 96 onto the 95 block. I've also swapped the fuel rail, upper Iintake and wire harness from the 96 onto the 95 block.
Will this be everything that I need or will I need to change more stuff. Also will the trans from the 95 work in my 96? Both are E4AOD???:whiteflag

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,085 Posts
Hi, new to FSB and hopefully I can get the help I need here.
Hello Chris and welcome to our community. Grab a bag of popcorn and a drink and have a look around :thumbup

I have a 96 5.0 Bronco which is (MAF) OBD2. My 96 has 302, xxx original miles, runs good in town but not good for the highway and my new 2 hr trip back and forth to work everyday isn't any better. I'm installing a 95 5.0 (MAF) OBD1 which I just found out isn't working out.
Why isn't it working out??

The 95 OBD1 motor is going into my 96 which is OBD2. What all do i need to make this work?
Great question. The motor itself doesn't care if it's OBD1 or OBD2. But, you'll need the sensors changed to match the OBD2 harness. One thing for certain is the coolant temp sensor. Use your's from the 96 in the 95. It's located just above the themostat housing. You can compare the other sensors/plugs to see if there are any other differences. If so, swap them :thumbup

I've already swapped the timing cover along with the harmonic balancer from the 96 onto the 95 block.
Perfect.

I've also swapped the fuel rail, upper intake and wire harness from the 96 onto the 95 block.
Fuel rails should be the same. Upper and lower intakes should be the same. Wiring harness is not the same. So that's good that you've installed the 96 harness.

Also will the trans from the 95 work in my 96? Both are E4OD???:whiteflag
I corrected the transmission type. The trans from the 95 should work in the 96. Is there something wrong with the current 96 trans?? If so, please tell us what the issue is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, main reason for this swap is because the trans hesitates in 1st 2nd and 3rd. It's horrible when under load and the motor gets hot. Plus it has 302, xxx miles. The new one has 125, xxx with a rebuilt 8 month old transmission. I bought the whole truck for $400 =D.
So far I've swapped;
: Timing cover, upper intake, egr crap, wire harness, fuel rail because old one was rusty and the exhaust manifolds because the 96 has an o2 sensor on each one. Other than that I don't see any difference. Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track...

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,085 Posts
When you say the trans hesitates, are you saying it's not shifting when it's supposed to?

There are a few things that can affect the way the trans shifts.

One is the throttle position sensor could be giving faulty readings. The trans relies on a throttle position to make it's shift. If the throttle position sensor (TPS) is giving off wide open throttle signals, then it will shift late.

Another thing that can throw the shift pattern off is tire size. Have you recently changed tire size? If so, then you'll need to calibrate your PSOM. This is a very easy thing to do and instructions are right here on this forum in the Tech write ups.

If the speedometer doesn't work, then again the trans won't shift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TPS has been replaced along with anything else that might affect it. 12 years ago when my dad bought it it would hesitate going into second. He dropped the trans pan and there was very little metal shavings. He just changed filters, put new fluid and reseald it hoping it would last. Now that I bought it off him I'm fixing it up to accommodate my long daily travel. Also the motor has been overheated too many times due to a bad water leak so I'd rather just put the new and much cleaner 95 motor in my 96.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, it seems like I have most of it down other than my exhaust manifolds have cracks in them and need to be replaced.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9037
Summit racing has a good set of Shorty Headers for my 96 which includes the bung hole for $200 (SUM-G9037), the collector diameter is 2" 1/2. As stated from Summit, ( these are a direct bolt on and will only work with 2" 1/2 Y pipe.) That being said, what should my stock Y pipe diameter be??? My cat back exhaust system has a Y pipe mating together on the passenger side turning into a straight pipe, warmer, cat, sensor then straight pipe out the passenger rear, (if that helps any). 96 Bronco obd2 5.0.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts