Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm a bit stuck and my truck has been with my mechanic for a little over a week. So a little bit of background: the truck went into "limp mode" with the usual symptoms-- hard shifting, OD light flashing, speedo was not jumping but rather not moving at all. I brought it over to my mechanic who pinpointed the issue to the ABS. Replaced the VSS for cheap insurance, then tried to bypass the ABS since it wasn't really functional to begin with (read *because it seemed expensive to get running again*). Shop owner said that both he and his mechanic drove it plenty and everything seemed to be back to normal, shifting was fine and speedo was operational again.

I pick it up and right out of the shop it's doing exactly what I brought it in for. Took a look at fuse 18 and it was blown. Put a new one in and it blew immediately, so at this point I've got an okay idea of what's going on. I'm a total electrical noob, but it's worth mentioning that when I turned the key off, the A/C and accessories kept running. Not sure if this functionality is related to the fuse issue.

Anyway, he now seems to think it's the ABS module that needs to be replaced, but he's having a hard time finding one. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this thing bypassed? It's my daily driver and I'd like to have it back sooner than later.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. This is the thread I was looking for but couldn't find it for the life of me.

I'm thinking he didn't try to bypass it properly, hence the 18 fuse blowing immediately. I'll give this a shot.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick follow-up question from the above diagram: by bypassing the ABS module this way am I able to leave the jumper wires in place at the harness permanently, or is it for diagnostic purposes only?

Furthermore-- if I can bypass it permanently this way-- I am disconnecting the harness, adding the jumpers, and NOT reconnecting the harness, correct?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Quick follow-up question from the above diagram: by bypassing the ABS module this way am I able to leave the jumper wires in place at the harness permanently, or is it for diagnostic purposes only?
You can leave the jumper wires in place. Although if you replace the module, I'm not sure if it will interfere, but I don't think it will.

Furthermore-- if I can bypass it permanently this way-- I am disconnecting the harness, adding the jumpers, and NOT reconnecting the harness, correct?
This is how my truck is right now. I will not be replacing the ABS module. Harness is jumpered, and unplugged.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty then, hopefully the last follow-up on this thing. Bypassed the ABS and the symptoms continue. Safe to say that the issue is elsewhere?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
This is the VSS to PCM schematic for a '94, should be the same for your '95.
If the speedometer is not working after the ABS bypass, it would seem to indicate that either the PSOM is non-op or the wiring going to the PSOM from the ABS is open somewhere.
You could start metering the wiring from the ABS to the PSOM. Don't forget to check the ground.
Hope this helps. Go to the link below the schematic if you need it larger.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/990392

1 - 7 of 7 Posts