Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Still making some progress in this AZ heat, got the garage swamp cooler out so I don't sweat myself to death!
Last weekend I got all my front suspension parts painted and started installing after work this week. Everything went in perfect, just need to get the rest of the front axle together this weekend an she'll be sitting on all fours, finally!!

Attachments

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,701 Posts
everything is lined up well. looks great.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks Travis! Before I installed the coil springs I cycled the suspension and steering, compressed the bumpstops until the truck started to lift and all good. No interference anywhere, a couple close tolerances but no way around that trying to stuff all this into an area not designed for it. I also picked up new body mount bushings and will install those before I drive it, the old ones with 270k on them kept pissing me off constantly looking at them doing this suspension work as they are just totally squished dead. I'll have a new truck after this!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,701 Posts
new body mount bushings will make that ride new for sure i would think. Hopefully getting the old ones removed will be smooth for you, I have heard horror stories over the years trying to tackle that.

·
Super Moderator
1992 Bronco XLT
2,134 Posts
@Alwaysdirty I see you changed the location of the bottom shock mounts! Which Bilsteins did you go with ? They look like 7100s? What Travel? Also your shock towers are they F250, & is the bottom of the tower flush with the frame or did you raise them a tad bit? It all looks great i think the club is having weekend camping MnG in Cottonwood like Sept/Oct? Hope to see you and that amazing ride there

·
Super Moderator
1992 Bronco XLT
2,134 Posts
Hey @deathmobile2 I took the BKO out yesterday in fact Im still out 5 days 4 nights at 6100' camping. the front shocks preformed flawlessly. I do need to replaced the head bushing in my arms though and now i think i have your issue with the rear end! my springs i think are wore out so its my turn to wait for you lol. my issue though is more of a side to side but also a bucking/bouncing in the back. i was thinking it was due to the front being weak but you planted this idea in my head & well yeah thanks a-lot. so hurry up get those shocks on let me know what you think :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Side to side was my main issue as well. Check all your bushings - chances are they are all toast.

What rear shocks are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
1992 Bronco XLT
2,134 Posts
Tired old Rancho 9000,
2 weekends ago i replaced the rear shakles so good there

·
Super Moderator
1992 Bronco XLT
2,134 Posts
I will add the front end doesnt bounce anymore total control up front. But that side to side in the back is noticable now.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
@Alwaysdirty I see you changed the location of the bottom shock mounts! Which Bilsteins did you go with ? They look like 7100s? What Travel? Also your shock towers are they F250, & is the bottom of the tower flush with the frame or did you raise them a tad bit? It all looks great i think the club is having weekend camping MnG in Cottonwood like Sept/Oct? Hope to see you and that amazing ride there
The bottom mounts are the same as shown in post #30 (pic below), they are 14" travel 7100's, I just valved them to 400/120. The upper mount is an adjustable design with mounts welded to the frame. I got them from Chassis Unlimited and they included hardware, Ballistic also sells these but I dont think hardware is included. ADJUSTABLE WELD ON FRAME COIL OVER/AIR SHOCK MOUNT TOWERS - Chassis Unlimited
To make room I also cut these towers down the middle and narrowed them by and inch or so, I had to cut the wheel well out some to fit the towers high enough, I used some flat 12" wide rubber to fill in where I cut the wheel well out, also some edge trim and plastic panel rivots.

I will definitely plan on the MnG!!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,080 Posts
You do some great fab work! Now hurry and get that thing done so you can go find some shiney yellow stuff :thumbup

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
You do some great fab work! Now hurry and get that thing done so you can go find some shiney yellow stuff :thumbup
Thanks Blue! You said it man, just got my Saturday errands done and about to hit it. I cant wait to go prospecting, I already have a few spots picked out that I couldnt get back into before. It'll be a whole new world now so I'm really excited to hit the dirt!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I got my outers assembled and brakes lines ran. I have an oddball outer setup I came up with many years ago and finally executed it. For my outers I wanted 5.5x5 lug, the large inner wheel bearing, flat top knuckles and dual piston brake calipers. This is not a possible setup with Ford or Chevy parts when wanting to stay 5 lug.
I knew that 80's Dodge Ramchargers had a 5.5x5 lug setup and the large inner wheel bearing so I did some investigating at the JY and found a Ramcharger and pulled the hubs and spindle, the spindle was a six hole so that wasnt going to work with my Ford knuckles but the hub was almost a perfect fit to the HD D44 spindle. So I had to get the Dodge hub outer bearing seat machined inwards .25" and then it was a perfect fit to the Ford spindle. I had to use the Dodge outer stub axle shaft and widen the snap ring groove by a 1/16" to the outside to fit the snap ring. The next challenge was the brake rotors, I wanted to use the HD D44 dual piston calipers, I had to use front rotors off of an '02 Ram 1500 and machine them down to match the circumference of the HD D44 8 lug rotors, lucky for me, way back when a former member here named SWAT sold me for cheap already machined down Napa Gold rotors that are new, I drilled the Dodge hubs lug holes to match the rotors and installed 9/16" lug studs. Below is a picture of this setup and I really like it, the Dodge hub is much beefier than the Bronco 5 lug hub, my Ford flat top knuckles are WAY more beef than the Dodge or regular Bronco knuckles. I feel like this is the strongest possible 5 lug outer setup.

Next is the front brake lines, I gutted the ABS system, pulled fuses, removed the pump, computer and jumperd the harness. I ran new hardlines from the MC and used stainless braided 33" hose at the wheels, I absolutely hate flaring brake lines so I got an adapter for the MC and premade lines from Oriellys. Of course non of the lines they had were the exact lengths I needed so I did some creative bending to make everything match up. Also made my own straps from 3/8" 1 hole straps and lined them with rubber tubing to not chafe the lines. I also had a Bear proportioning valve from a past project I installed to the rear lines and I am running a Lighting 1.25" bore MC to help squeeze those dual piston calipers.

Here is what I have left to do on this project:
-Bleed the brake system
-Get my 35's installed on the rims and set the truck on its own weight
-Install the OX diff cover, run the OX cable and install the shifter in the cab
-Install new body mounts
-Get an alignment

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'm ready for Baja!!!
Front is three inches too high. The springs did not compress as much as Deaver told me they would. No problem though, I have adjustable coil towers!

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,080 Posts
Looks great! Fyi, early d44 ttb uses a 6 bolt spindle. At least through 85. They may not be as strong as your knuckles though?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Its funny, the Dodge knuckles were very thin but the hub is larger than the Bronco hub, the Bronco knuckles were bigger but a smaller hub, the HD D44 knuckles are bigger than both. I wonder if those early 80's ttb's use the larger inner wheel bearing?

Last night I finished up my OX locker shifter and cable then installed my driveshafts, the front is too short...:banghead
Calling today to get it lengthened or a new one made. Why not continue to blow my budget away!

·
Addicted to Junk
11,080 Posts
Visually, the spindle was not any different than the later d44, except the bolt holes. The d44hd has the larger bearing, which can be seen in the external casting of the hub itself. D44 is a straight tube. D44hd is a conical shaped hub, tapering down to d44 size for the lockout. D50 and d60 have a larger, straight tube for the hub.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts