Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Bronco in need of a ring job majorly! THe motor is a 302, with the E4OD transmission and 4x4.

I also have a complete I-6 motor with about 75k miles on the ticker. These motors are stout to my previous experiences. With one in a ol' Red pick-up of mine at 491k miles with the 300.

I checked the truck I pulled this motor from and the tranny was the E4OD and it was a 4x4 truck. I grabbed the ECU while I was at it. I also have the complete harness for it from headlight to taillight, so I'd guess that I would have everything I'd need.

My question is would there be anything else I would have to wory about since they are the same year and same trannsmission? This ECU from the 300 w/ E4OD will run the 302's E4OD with the 300 in place of the 302?

I would just get the $1600 crate motor to replace it, but money is tight, I like the 300 I-6's reliability, driving chariteristics, power band, fuel economy(acheived 21mpg in a LWB 5spd truck before), and best of all, IT'S FREE!!!

edit: I also know I need the fan shroud off the 300 I-6 truck because it's shorter and makes room for the lnger 300 I-6. I also know I need all the hoses, brackets and accessorys to make it work.

Just anything else ya'll can think of?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't forget to grab the motor mounts!

While you have all that out and strewn about, you might want to add several upgrades if you're saving money by using a donor motor. I would look at the alternator - I'm pretty sure mine (1983) is a smallish 40 amp stock one - I guess it would depend on what year your donor motor is. Might want to look at a universal single wire self exciting alternator rated at around 70-80 amps. Also, go get a new Saginaw PS pump and throw it in there too.

I would at least install a new oil pump - I replaced one on my old '88 and it was a major PITA! It took me and a friend 10+hours to do it. It was the definition of suck. Looking back on it, we may have spent less time doing it had we simply pulled the motor!

Good luck on the swap - let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the mounts when I pulled the motor, but one of the was torn, so I went and got two new ones from the parts store for $20/ea. My swap is from a '95 also. I traded the lifetime warrenty plug wires, cap and rotor, TPS sensor, distributor, coil, pretty much anything I put on the truck with a lifetime warrenty got traded in for some new stuff.

I might pick up a oil pump, because I have to remove the pan anyways to fix the gasket. It's must have started leaking from sitting for a couple years.

Thermostat is already in it, new coolant temp sensor, I think she's about ready to drop in.

Basically I made this thread to see if anybody here knows anything I'm missing.

Thanks 88 CdA, I didn't think about the oil pump, thought it would be okay with just 75k miles on it, but it's better safe than sorry, ya know!

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts