Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
261 - 269 of 269 Posts

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
ot the t-case out and broke open. From what I can tell there is nothing wrong inside. The only thing I think is badwould be the chain. I wouldn't think the chain being lose would case a vibration.

Here's a pic of the chain.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

All the bearings, pump, planetary and seals look great.

I am lost don't know what else to do other than take it to a shop after I get the tcase back in.

· Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,686 Posts
Is there anyone that can let you borrow their tires for a quick spin? Tires and driveshafts make up most all of the vibration problems. Having beadlocks makes the tires balance even more poorly.

· Registered
2,895 Posts
Is there anyone that can let you borrow their tires for a quick spin? Tires and driveshafts make up most all of the vibration problems. Having beadlocks makes the tires balance even more poorly.
I don't think it's in his wheels and tires as he says he took rear drive shaft out and vibration was gone.

It has to be from the t-case back somewhere. Might want to check the T-case rear output for running true. Then check the the rear axle yoke to make sure it's turning true and check the rear axle gears. I had a bent rear shaft in the axle that would cause a vibration but you would feel that all time. So it has to be something only when you are applying force or pressure to it. Even if you had the axle out and the dials read correct once you apply force (throttle) to it and have a bent yoke or something the vibrations will come back. I am sure you have checked the angles with the driveshaft in?? Have you checked the u-bolts on the axle to make sure they are tight and the axle isn't walking back and forth?? (Had that happen to me too. It was the last thing I checked after replacing my d-shaft). Rebuilding the driveshaft twice would take out the possibility of having a bad joint from factory. Do you know someone that you can borrow a rear drive shaft from??

Those are just my $.02.

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I don't think it's in his wheels and tires as he says he took rear drive shaft out and vibration was gone.

It has to be from the t-case back somewhere. Might want to check the T-case rear output for running true. Then check the the rear axle yoke to make sure it's turning true and check the rear axle gears. I had a bent rear shaft in the axle that would cause a vibration but you would feel that all time. So it has to be something only when you are applying force or pressure to it. Even if you had the axle out and the dials read correct once you apply force (throttle) to it and have a bent yoke or something the vibrations will come back. I am sure you have checked the angles with the driveshaft in?? Have you checked the u-bolts on the axle to make sure they are tight and the axle isn't walking back and forth?? (Had that happen to me too. It was the last thing I checked after replacing my d-shaft). Rebuilding the driveshaft twice would take out the possibility of having a bad joint from factory. Do you know someone that you can borrow a rear drive shaft from??

Those are just my $.02.
From watching the DS spin it doesn't seem out of round nor does the pinion yoke.

I haven't thought about a bent axle shaft. I do have an extra axle sitting in the garage I could swap out the shafts and see what that does I guess.

Although I have had the DS rebuilt & balanced twice I still feel like something isn't right with it. With it in gear and the drive train running it's like I can hear/feel the vib coming from the DS or Transfer Case.

I currently have the Tcase totally disassembled and waiting for rebuild parts. Figure I would do bearings, seals, pump and anything else I can think of while I'm in there.

Can someone answer this question for me?

With the Tcase out can I run the transmission without the Tcase in to see if the viberation is not in the trans?

· Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,686 Posts
From watching the DS spin it doesn't seem out of round nor does the pinion yoke.

I haven't thought about a bent axle shaft. I do have an extra axle sitting in the garage I could swap out the shafts and see what that does I guess.

Although I have had the DS rebuilt & balanced twice I still feel like something isn't right with it. With it in gear and the drive train running it's like I can hear/feel the vib coming from the DS or Transfer Case.

I currently have the Tcase totally disassembled and waiting for rebuild parts. Figure I would do bearings, seals, pump and anything else I can think of while I'm in there.

Can someone answer this question for me?

With the Tcase out can I run the transmission without the Tcase in to see if the viberation is not in the trans?
You can if you like, but its gonna be messy I'll bet. You should also remember to shift from drive or reverse into neutral before shutting off the motor. Do not try to shift to part with no transfer case (or no driveshafts or the transfer case in neutral) since it can damage your parking prawl. I highly doubt that your transmission is causing the vibrations though. There is not much in an E4OD that can go out of balance.
I would like to see your driveshaft angles as well. I meant to mention them in my last reply. Your driveshaft angle should be about 2 degrees or so higher than your pinion angle If yours is off much from that then you will have problems. If your driveshaft and pinion angles are even then you will get some minor vibes when you are heavy on the throttle as the pinion will rotate up since you have leaf springs.
Also one more thing to check is the phasing of your U-joints. The caps should all be in line. If they are not then you will get vibrations. The caps for the center section of the driveshaft at the DC joint and the pinion need to be in the same line. If they are off 90 degrees or some other random amount then you will have vibes.

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Damn it's been a minute since I was here and especially posting in my build thread! FSB.com ->:twak <- Me

Well a lot has happened in the past 3 years, divorce, house bought, ****ing hoes, etc etc!:histerica:histerica

As some of you have commented last about my drive shaft issue it has finally been resolved. After having the used driveshaft rebuilt 3 times, rebuilt the transfer case, played with the pinion angle, videos, talked to several people and trying to just deal with the issue until something breaks, I finally bit the bullet and had a new high angle driveshaft built by Olivers DriveShaft

It's been great actually enjoying driving the bronco again and not feeling the annoying vibration in my ass. It wasn't a really bad vibration just annoying as hell! I've had it on the interstate at 80 and driven over 100's of miles since and this summer the top has been off the whole time!

Feels good being in the beast again.

· aka: kemicalburns
8,171 Posts
that is awesome news. sucks you had to throw away money on the previously built DS. curious if you told that shop the outcome and if so what they had to say? is there any visual difference between the shafts?

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
that is awesome news. sucks you had to throw away money on the previously built DS. curious if you told that shop the outcome and if so what they had to say? is there any visual difference between the shafts?
No visual signs.

I bought two used driveshafts for someone on here. I can't remember if they were high angle shafts or not. I point one in and it did the same thing, swapped in the other, same thing. I had one lengthened for the front, it doesn't vibrate at all. So the only thing I can thing of is the angle of the rear is too much. Which doesn't make since. The rear isn't that big of an angle. I have no clue what the actual issue was,just glad it's resolved and I'm in the Bronco driving.

261 - 269 of 269 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.