Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
41 - 60 of 269 Posts

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So is your truck just sittin there? or did you get this done yet?? :popc1:
Unfortunately it's not done and I've not been able to work on it in a few weeks. I knew this was going to be a slow project so no hurry.

:doh0715:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one
How bigg of a lift do you plan on doing because i look like you may have a problem getting it out of the garage if you go any higher.

Let's hope he thought about that... :rofl:
Yip I thought about that. I'm probably going to end up cutting or bending the bottom of the coil buckets so I can raise them an inch or two. I don't mind it going up maybe an inch more but I'm trying to keep it about where it's at.

Oh and I'm sure once I'm done it will probably be parked outside :cry:cry unless I've got it in the garage working on it. BUUUUT!!!! I'm hoping to be able to build an attached shop onto the side of the house sometime in the future and if I do it will definately be able to go in that shop without any worries of it hitting.

· Registered
651 Posts
great looking build. glad to see you using some big axles and at an awesome price. you are going to be into yours a lot less than my setup. Are you running selectable lockers? I have an eaton elocker in the rear and an auburn ected electronic locker in the front. should be fine for my 35's or even 37's good luck

fox

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks fox!

I wished when I got the money for my first lift I had just went ahead and did the sas but oh well. I've spent the past few years shopping, looking around for parts.

The front already has a locker. I'm not sure which one but I got it off Gearhead. I'm trying to get rid of some parts so I can get the rear regeared, with a some sort of locker hopefully.

· Registered
140 Posts
Looks pretty good, man! I see all of the guys on here are starting with much nicer rigs than mine but, I don't care. Mine will be much more go than show. It won't be pretty but, it'll be a hoot in the mud, in the sand, & on the rocks!
Keep at it, good luck!

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well the Lord has blessed me this past couple of weeks by helping me sell some stuff to buy some parts. Now the Sterling will probably be getting some 4.88 gears!:thumbup

Here's the one thing I've been wanting but didn't want to pay $900 bones for. I found them on NC4x4 for $450 shipped!!!:thumbup:rockon

As you can see they are the Cage Radius Arms...BEEFIEAAHH!!!:chili::chili:

· Registered
574 Posts
Does that top one look bent, or is that the camera?

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ok I need some numbers.

I'm running the 6.5 cage progressive coils. I know they will lift the front more than the TTB coils did.

So I need to raise the coil buckets. I'm using the 78/79 upper buckets.

Could someone running this setup please lemme know how much you raised the front bucket. I'm thinking about 2" but would like convermation please. I wouldn't mind maybe gaining about an 1" but someone lemme know please!!

Thanks

· Former owner of Shadofax
17,475 Posts
This isn't your exact setup, but for comparison I am running the 6" Deavers, 5.8/E4OD (heavy) combo, and winch and raised my JBG (78-79 type) buckets 1". I truly have no more than 6" lift.

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well I took the front axle shafts out today so I could put new u-joints back in which I knew I had to do anyways. Well this is what I found on the drivers side of the axle.

I don't know what the previous owner did here. Looks like he tried to pry the bearing out with a screwdriver or something.

Just a pic of one of the axle shafts I've got to replace. I've already got one to replace it with.

This is what the hub on the drivers side looked like. I think the way seal was on the back of the spindle didn't keep out the water.

I've got an extra D44. I'm gonna check if I can use the spindle out of it instead of having to hunt or buy a new one.

I need to clean out the axle tube a little bit but I don't want to take apart the gears and such. So is there anyway to do this without take gears and everything out. I'd like to get some cleaning liquid in there to get it clean.

I know there is a seal in there that seals off the diff area from the axle tube.

Also I've got an extra D44 can I use the spindle from that axle to replace the bad one in the pic above.

· Offical FSB Map Maker
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ok I just thought of something. While doing my SAS it's going to take me a while to get it done with vacations, sons school, work, etc, etc. So what I'm wanting to know is.....Will it be ok if I start the bronco and let it run a few minutes rather than it sitting there for 6-9 months. I've got the rear & front drive shafts off. I started to do this yesterday but didn't know if it would hurt the computer or trans with it not being hooked up to the rear axle. I was planning on putting it in drive and let it go through the gears.

So what do you all think?

41 - 60 of 269 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.