Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I am getting the parts for my SAS and have a question about ABS. Are you able to retain ABS when doing the swap. It sounds like the rear wont be an issue but what about the front ABS sensors?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I would guess there's a way to retain the ABS, but no one that I'm aware of does. Unless it's a legal requirement in your area or you feel like you can't live without it, there's really no need to keep it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did this to my 93 using a kingpin axle. My reason was to keep the 8x6.5 lug pattern and to remain legal with no dash lights. I did a lot of research and the stock tone rings are 54 front and 108 rear teeth. The super duty tone rings are 60 and 120. The fronts equal the rear. Going on that logic, I went with the WFO Duramax brake kit and found the dyntrac 60 tooth tone ring to install on the hub. I ordered up some duramax abs sensors, spliced them in the factory pigtails and waa-la it worked. The abs light remained off. Once I did apply the brake hard enough for the abs to work. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't go this route again and should've went with super duty axle to keep it simple. Another perk with those axles is the rear has factory disk brakes and internal drum e-brake that is adaptable to the older trucks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Great tech info Green, thanks!

The 05+ Super Duty axles are becoming widely available and are an excellent way to upgrade to 1 ton's. I suspect more companies will be bringing new products online to retrofit them with older vehicles.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,703 Posts
he 05+ axles are considerably wider than older 1 ton axles. This is a delema since many trails around my area would be a no go.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
he 05+ axles are considerably wider than older 1 ton axles. This is a delema since many trails around my area would be a no go.
The Jeep JK guys are putting them under their rigs. At around 72" WMS-WMS the Super Duty axles aren't that wide. Actually, the wider axle could help protect your rig's body to a certain degree.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,703 Posts
Many OHV trails in Oregon for Class II have an 80" wide max. this is based on the tread contact width.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts