Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 EB Bronco that won't start or even turn over. I turn the key to start it and nothing. When I turn the key back to the off position, a clicking and high pitch sound come from under the dash. I located the module that it's coming from. It behind the lower part of the dash directly in front of the drivers right knee. It is a black box with 3 connectors going to it and what looks like a stereo antenna connector. I unplugged the connector with about 8 red wires in it and the noises stopped. There is also an aqua blue module in front of it as well. It still will not start with the connector unplugged. I've already charged the battery and recently replaced the starter and solenoid. Also there is no radio in the dash and it will usually start without the ignition key, it's been like that since I've owned it.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Except for the radio the only other thing that has an antenna like thing goinginto it is the keyless entry module. The antenna is for when you use your keypad. I think it also controlls the battery minder for the entry lights, and I think it might also be part of the anti theft module.

EDIT
the only thing it talks to the anti theft controller about is weather or not the door is open. So im not sure how that thing keeps your truck from running. Are your lights flashing when you hear this relay clicking noise?

I would guess something like your keys switch is out, or something along those lines

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Are you sure it's not coming from the engine compartment? I had the same problem with my 96 Ranger and it ended up being the starter relay.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no flashing lights. What is the module that I'm referring to? The truck probably has remote
Entry, but I don't have any remotes. I'm pretty sure the module that's clicking is the culprit but I dont know what it is.
I know it's not the starter solenoid, I replaced it and the starter 2 months ago. I would suspect the ignition switch, but this clicking module is suspect since it only started doing this since it hasnt been starting.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
If the box looks like this (notice the three connectors and the antenna jack) - it's the Remote Keyless Entry module (RKE)

Inside it has 7 relays - I don't know what they all do, but I bet the reason you hear them is because the truck doesn't start, and now you can hear them.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/859658/fullsize/rke-006.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is it! And the clicking sound is like the relays are going haywire. It's definitely not normal clicking sounds, plus the high pitch squealing. So, is it safe to say that it's bad or is it getting mixed signals? Also, can I just get another from the junkyard and swap it out or does if have to be coded to the truck? Thank you very much! Also can I bypass it somehow?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Does your truck have a red little "theft" light in the left side of the instrument panel that blinks?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, sounds like the anti theft module is cutting my starting circuit. Before I start trying to bypass it, can I just get another module and swap it or are they vehicle specific? I never thought a 1995 Ford would have so many complicated electrical systems

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I had a problem on my '94 with my RKE box, and I swapped it with one from a '95 with no problem. I just had to reprogram the key fobs to the new box.
I also had a problem with the Anti-Theft circuitry, the PO had disconnected (as in cut) the switch sensor on the driver's side door lock. After I had the truck for about 6 months, I accidentally set off the alarm at about 10:30 PM. I didn't even know it had an alarm until then! (The neighbors noticed the alarm!) Rather than disable the Anti-Theft, I fixed it.
So, I don't know if there is an easy way to jumper around the Anti-Theft. I would leave the box connected (to insure that all the other stuff the box does, like control the headlights, horn, etc.) and jumper pin 12 on C237 to pin 24 on C238.
No guarantee - and notice that there are some inconsistencies in the wiring/pin number on some pages. I have some notes on the errors I found, but there may be more.

My '96 doesn't have the Anti-Theft thing, and the EVTM indicates that there wasn't an Anti-Theft module offered in '96. maybe the Anti-Theft was only offered for a couple of years (maybe just '94 and '95).

Good luck

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. I will go to the u pull it on Saturday and get a couple RKE boxes and see what happens. I don't have any remote fobs so that should be one less problem. I'd rather not mess with bypassing or removing the system seeing how complicated it is. I might also replace the ignition switch and tumbler seeing as they are obviously worn being that it starts without a key.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Get one of those Anti-Theft Controller Modules too (if you can).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Here's a picture of the Anti-Theft Module:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/860594_1

Here's the removal instructions (Picture on the next page)

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/894333_1

Here's where it is behind the instrument panel:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/894334_1

And a little extra about the ignition switch part of the Anti-Theft circuit:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/894332_1

Good Luck - and if you come across an Air Bag Module (which is right behind the Remote Keyless Entry module), I'll buy it from you, as I think I need one of those for my '96.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mikey350, thank you so much for all your help. I was able to fix my truck and it turned out to be a broken + battery cable clamp! Turns out the truck wasn't getting enough juice and everything was going crazy. Must have been from all the jumping at the dunes this summer. Also it starts better than ever now and it WILL start with the RKE unplugged and run just fine. I'm sure if I plug it back in it will be fine too. Thank you again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought I had a problem with my remote RKE.
I replaced it and everything worked fine for about a week.
I used the key fob and unlocked door yesterday. When I tried to start it, it
started to turn over and immediately stopped. Alarm/RKE module started beeping and clicking.
No dash lights were on. I removed the Negative battery cable. I reattached it. There was no alarm or anything. I turned the ignition on, nothing, no dash lights. I tried to turn it over nothing. Like there was no battery in it. I disconnected the negative battery cable again' I left it off for 5 mins to dissipate capacitors, if necessary. I got the same result. Then I removed both Positive and negative battery cables for several minutes. When I reconnected cables it started fine.
I disconnected the 2 rear connectors on RKE module. So this won't happen again(I drove it with them disconnected for weeks before I replaced the RKE module.) I will leave it this way until I figure out my problem.
Having read this thread, the negative cable was loose when I first removed it. Sounds like it's worth a shot plugging the 2 connectors back in and see what happens.
Any other observations/suggestions?
THANKS!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts