Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Yes Paul, I'd be interested in seeing both, especially the headliner if you only have time to cover one.

Got any pics of your grill & bezel work?

Congrats on the alignment. Nice to have that behind you, isn't it?
Ask and you shall receive! I have the finished product of the grill and bezels. I am sure 85% of folks have taken them off before and painting them is not particularly difficult. So no process on that one. Simple as clean them up, shoot them, let them dry for a couple days and install. Pulling batteries and junk is just tedious and not fun, but its part of the gig!

I have already stripped the headliner out and taken off the old material. But I can shoot pictures of the install and give a short narrative of how to clean up the headliner and make some fixes on the cardboard before I put on the new material.

And absolutely it was great getting the alignment done. $130 isn't terrible for a shop used to working on prerunners and stuff. The only thing that sucked is it took 2 weeks to get my truck in because they had a truck that was in pieces on the alignment rack. Not a brilliant business strategy but whatever.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
For the headliner, I am first going to show the sunvisors because I already got rid of the headliner materials.
1116211133_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Needless to say, my headliner was trashed and the foam on the foam backed material had separated from the cloth material. Just like below.
1116211133a by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

You can see in the background the headliner with all of the foam stripped off. You absolutely need a stiff wire brush like the one I am holding.
1116211133c by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

It is a nasty job and I had forgotten how not fun it was when I did the same on my BMW's headliner (I had that one professionally redone though as it had complex curves in it that requires some actual talent).
1116211133b by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I had to make a repair or two on the corners because this old cardboard/fiber board material is simply old. I used some JB Weld fiberglass repair stuff and I would not recommend that again. I am going to just open the wallet up and get some fiberglass matting and resin and fix the repairs I did. I will take some pics of that too. As I have read, even just applying resin without fiberglass matting to a weak area will strengthen it up a bit.

Back to the sunvisors:
Here you can see what it is like after I have taken the material off already. The way these are made is hilariously simple.
1116211132 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

1116211132a by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

1116211132b by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

1116211133 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Essentially, the inner material is the strong piece that gives it the stiffness required to exist. It gets sandwiched between the cardboard that gets covered by the material. Then the material that is covered with cloth is folded over the strong board with the hinge, then it is sewn together to keep it all in one piece. I am going to hand stich it, but I think I can get it looking correct by just taking my time.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Alrighty, I am diving right into this.

Here is the material I am using. Amazon of course. 60" wide by two yards should be all I need. Its a nice microsuede thing. Way too nice for the truck but I like doing things once.
1116211336_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

And I have used this with success in the past.
1116211338_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Here is the thickness of the material. I think it's 1/4" but it doesn't really matter to me (insert Queen theme music).
1116211336a by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

So I lay it out on my table and put the sunvisor down as if I was going to glue it down just to test fit.
1116211336 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Instructions on the Super 77 are to coat both sides of whatever you are adhering and let it tack up for about 30 seconds or so.
1116211340 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

And here are both visors all glued up and sitting there like they should. Going to let them dry for the rest of the day.
1116211344 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

You don't have to worry about overspray because it is just going to get sprayed again when I fold the edges over tomorrow. After tomorrow, they will look a lot more like the sunvisors we are used to. More to come.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,052 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Headliner time!

I needed to reinforce an area that broke off when I removed the old material. Its the front left and right portion of the headliner that the sunvisors go. I have never worked with fiberglass before and it wasn't that bad. I used three layers of glass and it worked great.
1122211608a by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

1122211608 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I used a razor knife to get this hole cut out.
1122211726 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

1122211726_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

So its good to lay out the material over the area to be covered, duh.
1122211730_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

The way I was told to glue the material down was to work in 1' to 2' sections. That's what I started here.
1122211731 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Hard to tell, but there is glue spray on both the material and the board.
1122211732_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

That section above laid down and adhered. Then I rolled back the materal over where it was just glued down.
1122211734 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I apparently got in a hurry, but I sprayed the material in sections and sprayed the board down in sections, laid it down, wash rinse repeat until...
1122211745_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I let it chill out over night so it would be held down nice and tight (it will continue to cure over time).

And here is the final result after trimming. I used fabric scissors and a razor knife to trim things up. The good news about the way Ford did it is that you don't need to "finish" the edges as there is trim all around the headliner.
2021-11-23_12-41-31 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Final product with the sunvisors. What a PITA one of them was. They probably do not need the stitching but I would rather not take the chance. So I did one the lazy way (driver's side) and the other a "prettier" way which was a fail anyway when you look close. It is hard to do this by hand. A machine would have been smarter. Oh well, live and learn! Still too nice for this truck!

1124211524_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

1124211524a_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Lazy.
1124211525_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Less Lazy.
1124211525a_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

81 - 89 of 89 Posts