Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 95 Ford Bronco with the 351w. Last week i noticed the oil level gauge was pegged all the way to the top left and wasn't reading. I check the oil verified i was good and figured that i would deal with it when i got paid. This week however it will go from pegged then to the normal range. Any ideas where i should begin to check this issue out? I am not a mechanic but i am with a little guidance i am sure i can do this myself. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
yo,

The Oil Pressure gauge installed in our Broncos after 87 was changed from actual Gauge showing PSI to n on-off switch.
Test & Overview in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco, F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual: The oil pressure gauge is a magnetic movement design consisting of a bobbin/coil assembly, a return to zero magnet and a primary magnet. The shaft and pointer are connected to the primary magnet. The bobbin/coil assembly is pressed into a metal housing which has two holes for dial mounting. The gauge operates through a pressure activated switch. When the engine is started engine oil pressure closes the switch, providing a ground circuit for the gauge coil. Current flow through the gauge coil to ground causes the primary magnet and pointer to rotate, providing an oil pressure reading on the dial face. The oil pressure gauge does not require adjustment, calibration or maintenance. Also, never remove the pointer indicator from its shaft. The oil pressure switch controls the magnetic oil pressure gauge's pointer position. The oil pressure switch closes under normal engine operating conditions (oil pressure above 42 kPa [6 lb/sq in]). The oil pressure switch opens with the engine (6007) off and no oil pressure. Check gauge operation as follows: With the key in RUN and the engine off, disconnect wiring connector at the switch. The gauge should indicate on the LOW graduation or below. Connect the wiring connector to the engine block ground. The gauge should indicate just slightly above mid-scale. If the oil pressure gauge tests within calibration, replace oil pressure switch. If the gauge still tests out of calibration, replace oil pressure gauge.
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at FSB

Overview in 92-96; "The oil pressure system uses a switch and a fixed resistor; the resistor is attached to the engine wiring harness. A primary magnet, to which a shaft and pointer are attached, rotates to align this primary field, resulting in pointer position. The bobbin/coil assembly is pressed into a metal housing which has two holes for dial mounting. There are no adjustment calibrations or maintenance required for this gauge; Oil Pressure Sender - The oil pressure sender controls the magnetic oil pressure gauge's pointer position. The oil pressure sender (switch) closes under normal engine operating conditions. The oil pressure sender opens with the engine off and no oil pressure..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck)

Sender Failure; "Corrosion or faulty electrical connections; If the oil pressure gauge is pegged low after the engine is running, or is pegged high after the engine is running, or if there is intermittent illumination of an oil pressure indicator light, the sender could be faulty. Related Components to Check; All appropriate electrical connections to and from the sender The oil pressure gauge or indicator light; Appropriate fuses (see Shop or Owner’s Manual for fuse layout)...".
Source: by MOTORCRAFT®
Test & Overview in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco, F-Super Duty Motorhome Chassis Workshop Manual: The oil pressure gauge is a magnetic movement design consisting of a bobbin/coil assembly, a return to zero magnet and a primary magnet. The shaft and pointer are connected to the primary magnet. The bobbin/coil assembly is pressed into a metal housing which has two holes for dial mounting. The gauge operates through a pressure activated switch. When the engine is started engine oil pressure closes the switch, providing a ground circuit for the gauge coil. Current flow through the gauge coil to ground causes the primary magnet and pointer to rotate, providing an oil pressure reading on the dial face. The oil pressure gauge does not require adjustment, calibration or maintenance. Also, never remove the pointer indicator from its shaft. The oil pressure switch controls the magnetic oil pressure gauge's pointer position. The oil pressure switch closes under normal engine operating conditions (oil pressure above 42 kPa [6 lb/sq in]). The oil pressure switch opens with the engine (6007) off and no oil pressure. Check gauge operation as follows: With the key in RUN and the engine off, disconnect wiring connector at the switch. The gauge should indicate on the LOW graduation or below. Connect the wiring connector to the engine block ground. The gauge should indicate just slightly above mid-scale. If the oil pressure gauge tests within calibration, replace oil pressure switch. If the gauge still tests out of calibration, replace oil pressure gauge.
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at FSB
Oil Pressure Mod to Actual PSI "...short R in PCB..." info & NAPA Sender, etc.
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://web.archive.org/web/20081011093139/http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/281470

·
I did done broke it
2,282 Posts
Put a mechanical gauge in. Much better then Fords joke of a dash gauge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts