Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was hoping maybe someone in here can help me. My boss has a 95 Ford Bronco that I keep bringing in to the Ford dealer in our town. The ABS light keeps popping on, which I have taken it in and had repaired only to have it pop on a month or so later. For the last few months the speedometer won't respond at all and when driving the car won't shift when its supposed to... you can hear it revving really high and then makes a hard shift like the engine is gonna fall out. I have taken it so many time its not worth it at this point. Hoping for any help, and to be fair I not nada about what I am talking about.. thanks everyone..

·
Super Moderator
14,894 Posts
Hi @alana90210, welcome to the site..I think this is a first for us, someone asking questions about a Bronco for their boss..

Most Ford dealers are mainly equipped to work on the newer stuff..sure they could change the oil and rotate tires on the Bronco, but if they can't plug it into a diagnostic machine to get an answer then you're pretty much out of luck.

You'd be better suited trying to find a non-dealer shop that knows older vehicles. These Fords aren't all that complicated but they do have some quirks..The best thing you could do would be to get the codes read and then we can go from there. The speedo not working could be related to a bad PSOM or the speed sensor in the rear differential. A competent mechanic that's worked around enough older Fords should be able to quickly get it sorted out.

Where are you located?

·
Super Moderator
25,001 Posts
Yo alana90210,
Welcome!
As LTC BILL KILGORE ADVISED (jermil01).

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 with info by Mikey350 and @ Code Reader.....
Post codes here.

See PSOM inoperative Pin-PointTests @ TSBs & FSAs

For now;
PSOM & Odometer Not Working & E4OD Harsh Shift TSB 94-09-12 for 94 and possibly for 95 Bronco & F Series; "...PSOM (Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module) may be inoperative or not function properly and the #8 fuse may be blown. In addition, if the vehicle is equipped with an E4OD transmission, it may exhibit a harsh shift. These conditions may be caused by trim screws installed through the 17K745 visor wire between the left hand "A" pillar and the left hand visor bullet connector..."

PSOM & Odometer Not Working & E4OD Harsh Shift TSB 94-09-12 for 94 Bronco & F Series; "...4WABS Control Module Bypass for PSOM Operation due to Bad 4WABS Control Module at 4WABS Module Connector; "...jumper 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y)to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK) & 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB)to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)..."
Source: by Turbo Ghost at FSB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi @alana90210, welcome to the site..I think this is a first for us, someone asking questions about a Bronco for their boss..

Most Ford dealers are mainly equipped to work on the newer stuff..sure they could change the oil and rotate tires on the Bronco, but if they can't plug it into a diagnostic machine to get an answer then you're pretty much out of luck.

You'd be better suited trying to find a non-dealer shop that knows older vehicles. These Fords aren't all that complicated but they do have some quirks..The best thing you could do would be to get the codes read and then we can go from there. The speedo not working could be related to a bad PSOM or the speed sensor in the rear differential. A competent mechanic that's worked around enough older Fords should be able to quickly get it sorted out.

Where are you located?
I am in Santa Ynez CA, biggest city to us is Santa Barbara, CA

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,536 Posts
Your lack of speedo means theres an issue with the speed circuit. Its why the transmission isnt shifting properly, and its also why the ABS light is on. It could be with the sensor in the rear axle, or it could be in the 4WABS system. Read this thread, to learn how to bypass the 4WABS for troubleshooting:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine did that....had a broken wire at the speed sensor on the rear end. Before that, I checked the ABS module and connections with the procedure you can find in the forum.
The PSOM in the dash needs that speed sensor for shifting and braking info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There used to be a guy on upper state, by the SB bowl, sorta. He put a motor in my F-250 and we used his bay for a lift job on a Ranger. Maybe he's still there.
Thats so helpful... I think I know where you are talking. Was it almost across the street from the Sb BOWL?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thats so helpful... I think I know where you are talking. Was it almost across the street from the Sb BOWL?
Yeah, looks like it might be called Bowman's on Milpas....been a long time. Maybe worth a call.
Either way, it is worth looking at the connector on the ABS module by the wiper fluid bottle. Mine were corroded, but it wasn't the problem. It is a pain, but you can trace the wires between the huge connector on the firewall, and the ABS connector, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts