Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking an interest into a a Probe I found on craigslist. From what I have read on a probe forum, it has a 2.5L V6 with Mass Air, and a sportyer suspention set up. I don't know much about them xcpt for they share the same platform as a Mazda 6.

This particular on has 148k miles on it, has the factory chamelion paint, 5 speed stick, with a sony xplode radio and a sub, and also has HID headlight conversion done to it. Haven't had it looked at yet but will soon. 1500 obo. the interior is clean in the pics, and a little bit of cler coat is pealing n the roof.

My question is, does anyone here know a lot about them? How well do they last. I'm asking here because I'm afraid the opinion miht be a little biased on the other forum.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I don't know much about the Probe, but I drove a friend's Mazda6 the other day and I have to say I was impressed. It rode smooth, had good power, and handled nice.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
They are kind of a cool car.
Pretty underated if you ask me.
They are sporty, quick, stylish, reliable and fairly economical for a daily driver it would be a great little car, even considered getting one myself for a DD.

But if it's real performance you are after you need to get a V8 rear wheel drive platform like a fox body Mustang or even a LS1 Camaro. Mustang weighs about the same as the Probe but has a bazillion go fast bolt on goodies. :thumbup

FYI - The Probe was originally slated as the replacement to the Fox Body Mustang and Mustang enthusiasts pitched a chit fit and Ford stayed with the SN-95 platform.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm sorry to say but the probe platform is nowhere near the Mazda 6 platform. the probe was more of a contour/mistake platform. but besides that they are a pain to work on and parts are still expensive for them and getting harder to find from the manufacturer.(like MAF's plug wires, and other parts) The most common problem I run it to with them is distributor failures. Just like any car they could run forever if they were taken care of, that 2.5 is a screamer, My opinion is pretty biased also because the ones I seen are ran into the ground or some hack tried working on them. Just be careful. you get what you pay for

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just looking for a DD that looks good and fun to drive, and prefure to stay with ford if possable.

From what I read on the performanceprobe.com, it shares the same platform as the Mazda MX 6, my bad.

I'm not looking for something as powerful as a mustang yet, but it's a possability down the road. Just a DD that's fun to drive also.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We have a '93, and it is a good car. Really reliable and fast as well. I really don't think that they are any more difficult to work on than any other sport compact of the same year. The parts do tend to be expensive though. Although we've only ever replaced the expendables like brakes, plugs, wires, etc. Also, there are plenty in the junkyards to pull from as well.

There are a couple of things to look for. First check and see if the timing belt has been replaced. If not, then I would replace it, because it whole motor will detonate if it lets go. They are a major pain in the ass to do, but not impossible. Second, there is a motor mount on the fender well on the passenger side (I think it is that side) that tends to rust. Make sure its not all rusted out or the motor will be moving around. It is an easy fix if you've got a welder and a little fabrication experience.

I was actually in a wreck with our when someone pulled out in front of me and I t-boned them. It was a dodge neon and it was totaled and had to be hauled away. I drove another 50 miles home.

Hope this helps,

mR

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good then I got lucky then because the timing belt was already replaced.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have one. The distributor in 93-94 failed often, but was supposedly fixed in 95-97 years. My 95 had to have it replaced but the new one has been fine since. If it goes make sure you get one from the Mazda dealer (just ask for one from the same year MX-6 if they won't sell it for a Probe). Rebuilt units from, for example, Autozone, tend to fail shortly after replacement (and keep failing if warranteed).

THe whole timing belt thing. It will NOT detonate if it breaks. The 2.5L is a NON-interference engine.

You might check out Probetalk.com, they have lots of info and forums if you have any more questions, or I can try to answer any more you come up with.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I had a 93 GT and it flat out got it for what is was. On long trips, I could easily get 30+mpg. When I was hammering it the worst I got was 25mpg. That car took me the fastest I have ever been in a car - 141.6 or where ever the governor is on the the GT's.

It was a fun, realiable, and nice car. If I had a chance to buy another that was in good shape, I would.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
id prolly pick it up. your correct it is the mx-6 platform, the 6 is the newer vehicles as you prolly know.

i loooked around for a mx6, v-6, 5spd for a while but could never find one that was in good shape, wasent dogged on or riced up.

my understanding is theyre a pretty solid car. ask the owners if theyve taken care of it as far as maintenance goes. only thing i know of that has been a problem with ford vehicles for people i know, has been subframe/engine cradle areas. particularly with the mounts and the bolts, on a contour(v6), and a sho taurus.

·
Registered
500 Posts
THe whole timing belt thing. It will NOT detonate if it breaks. The 2.5L is a NON-interference engine.
Hmmm.... must have been misinformed on that one. I can't even remember the source I got that from now. Either way the o.p.'s life is easier since it has already been done.

mR

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
I had a 93 GT and it flat out got it for what is was. On long trips, I could easily get 30+mpg. When I was hammering it the worst I got was 25mpg. That car took me the fastest I have ever been in a car - 141.6 or where ever the governor is on the the GT's.

It was a fun, realiable, and nice car. If I had a chance to buy another that was in good shape, I would.
:stupid

A freind of mine had the base model, but I cant remember what motor, but I think it was a 2.3 w/5sp...quick lil' bastard but it didn't have nothing on the Dodge daytona I was driving at the time :brownbag Still, it was quick.

KC

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would stay away from a probe. IMHO they were just not well built.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts