Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old auto hubs on my 95 XLT Sport were not engaging figured after 170k mi. its time to go. Picked up the Mile Marker Supremes and conversion kit an had at it yesterday.
1. Covers off; 3 nature's welded screws later, done. Time: 1 hr
2. Retaining rings; rust/corrosion had turned these into part of the hub; 2 sets of picks and a sacrificed screw driver later, done. Time: 1 hr
3. Removal of old hubs; dont ask. Lots of hammering, and finally drove a carriage bolt through the whole assembly for something to apply pressure to. Old hubs destroyed, done. Time; 2 hrs.
4. Removal of balance, retaing rings, washers, spindle nut; fairly routine except for the fact that the old spinlde nut requires a different socket size than its replacement, which naturally I did not have. 1 trip to Pep Boys later, done. Time; 1 hr, including trip.
5. Clean up the resulting mess, including removal of crud, corrosion(degreaser, wire brush, rinse with gas and blow dry) replacing outer bearings(see Pep Boys trip) prep for new ones,done. Time; 1hr.
6. Install new spindle nut assembly; 1st one routine, done. Time; 5 min.
7. 2nd spindle nut not so much. Tightened inner nut, managed to shear off the detente that holds locking ring in place. 3 pm Saturday, off on an Easter egg hunt for a new one, not optimistic since parts were all ordered on line. Hit paydirt at nearby Ford dealer, but at a price. 40 bucks for 1 spindle nut kit, payed 11 for the set at Amazon. 2nd one done. Time; 1 hr, including mad dash to Ford by 4pm close.
8. Install new hubs; finally, a routine install. New ones in without a hitch, operate perfectly. Time; 1 hr.

All in all, what I was told was a quick 1 hr install turned into an almost 8 hour ordeal. So for my fellow first timers, plan on devoting a day to this, with the happy alternative that your old hubs are in better shape and things go smoothly. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You have the same kinda luck I do. At least it's done though.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Sounds just like mine. I took the cap off no issues, then the snap ring, then nothing would move. I gave up, put it back together and left it for another day. lol
That was almost 2 years ago. Still havnt gotten to that day yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick to judge my maintenance habits, aren't we? check out my intro, just bought the truck 2 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
26,022 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, diagram on p122 matches what i used to convert from auto. If the hubs are in good shape and not locked in place due to "inferior maintenance" it should be a quick swap, as the manual conversion requires much less parts. Basically removing all the auto hub parts down to the outer wheel bearing and replacing it with 3 parts-inner spindle nut, lock ring, outer locking spindle nut. New hubs pop right in over this, large retaining ring and clip holds all in place. Screw on cover and you're done.

·
Super Moderator
26,022 Posts
Yes, diagram on p122 matches what i used to convert from auto..
yo Bob,
Thanks Bob! I wanted to be sure bec. in another Message Board, someone claimed their 95 manual hub parts were different. But I believe a prev. owner or shop made error(s) in a R&R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean other than change all fluids, filters, plugs, wires, rotate tires, check all brakes, bushings(all new by the way)wax and detail? No, haven't touched the thing yet. Sorry about the hubs, took a few days for them to arrive, work and other commitments only leave the weekend for projects like this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You mean other than change all fluids, filters, plugs, wires, rotate tires, check all brakes, bushings(all new by the way)wax and detail? No, haven't touched the thing yet. Sorry about the hubs, took a few days for them to arrive, work and other commitments only leave the weekend for projects like this.
I wouldn't waste my time engaging him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts