Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the quarantine zombie apocalypse going on now and we have a little extra free time I decided to start my solid axle swap. I’ve been eyeing the project since I was in college but has zero money or time then. Anyways...

I have little to no fabricating abilities I don’t trust myself to weld anything other than sticking metal together and honestly I don’t know very much about vehicles but I’m smart and I’ve got friends who can do all I could stuff. I decided to go leaf swap to keep it simple and to use sky manufacturings solid axle leaf swap kit.

Man that thing is super beefy. Now granted I could’ve had it built for about half or less the cost but it was done right it had great reviews.

I scored a front and rear and every Piece that connects the axles to the truck from a 2002 super duty. Remember I’m not that smart. But I’m strong. And creative.

Everything is going to be done in the least efficient, most difficult way possible... at least that’s how it seems to be goin. Again see photo 2 haha

So far I’ve got the 8.8 out, broke a few crap impacts from junk HF (buying a decent set tomorrow) took the leafs and rear out. Did some undercoating and rust removal/prevention etc. then Realized my work space won’t work as is, put the leafs back in on the 10.5. Got it hung up today. Gotta tighten everything down. Back it out and turn it around.

looking forward to the build. I’ll get progress pics as I go.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 5/8 Ton Bronco! :ROFLMAO:

Got the 8.8 out, and the 10.5 in to get it rolling around so I could turn it around and work on the front end this weekend. I ended up reusing the stock leafs and a mix and match bolts just to get it back together after a bunch of “well I should have done that” moments.

I’ll decide what to do with the rear shackles and hangers after the front is done and I see the final height.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slower day today got the front 100% unbolted. The steering was a pain in the ass. Some reason I couldn’t get it out of the pitman arm. Sawsall and it’s out. I’ll figure out the pitman arm issue later. May need a drop or something.

Still hanging on the radius arm bolts, but the honey do list took over for me and my buddy. Should be gone tomorrow.

looking forward to the ttb salute soon!

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
How much lift are you hoping to achieve? Im looking forward to seeing how the skys hanger kit works for you. I did my swap almost 5 years ago before they offered the one you are using. I used their 5" kit for the 92-97 on my '88. Ended up with about 9" of lift using stock f350 springs. Also you need this for the pitman arm.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a little more done today! Couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t move the ttb then I saw the last bolt I left in last week as a “safety” haha headed to grab more cutting wheels/grinding wheels an air hammer to get the 6282 rivets out. Then a couple rattle cans of bed liner then calling my welding buddy!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear leaf questions??

Thinking this AM about the rear end. Currently sitting on stock 8.8 hangers and leaf set up to get it to roll around. When I get the front done it will determine the height.

For the rear I’m going to throw a shackle flip kit in there. The question is, am I better off with a bigger/lifted/arched leaf or slightly flatter and a higher/bigger rear shackle kit? Like a 2” vs a 4” or whatever?

also does that make sense?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a little more done today. Pulled the rest of the junk out. Mocked the front bracket, gotta move the jack stands. They are EXACTLY where I need the back hangers. Haha oh well. It’s Sunday got honey do stuff

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
Rear leaf questions??

Thinking this AM about the rear end. Currently sitting on stock 8.8 hangers and leaf set up to get it to roll around. When I get the front done it will determine the height.

For the rear I’m going to throw a shackle flip kit in there. The question is, am I better off with a bigger/lifted/arched leaf or slightly flatter and a higher/bigger rear shackle kit? Like a 2” vs a 4” or whatever?

also does that make sense?
For the rear on mine i used skys 6" hanger kit. I used stock f250 rear springs and got about 9" lift. Or you could use the stock bronco springs and stay at 6". So no blocks, throw a shim in there and done. However, i do now have 4" blocks as well to clear the 44s.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the rear on mine i used skys 6" hanger kit. I used stock f250 rear springs and got about 9" lift. Or you could use the stock bronco springs and stay at 6". So no blocks, throw a shim in there and done. However, i do now have 4" blocks as well to clear the 44s. View attachment 158002 View attachment 158003
awesome man. I appreciate it. I’ve got both sets available so I guess I’ll have to see what the front turns out like. Appreciate it man

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,815 Posts
you may have to run a zero rate block out back to help center the diff in the wheel well.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the bracket tacked in in exchange for the old 8.8. He’s gonna come back and finish it, I just want to make sure everything is good to go alignment and fitment wise before hard finishing it.

honestly, I’m pretty happy with everything so far.
Pics or it didn’t happen right?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Short day today. Ran out of time and need a cutting wheel for finishing the plating on the crumple zone. Got the rear brackets semi hung. 2 bolts each to make sure I can get the leafs lined up. Worked out well, now having them welded out this week. Planning on rebuilding the front end before putting it in under a the bronco.

This is the extend of my fabrication abilities. A measuring tape and cut off saw. Haha

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decent progress this last week. Got the sky leaf bracket welded, and leafs slapped on. 5 wheels and 2 diff covers came in the mail. Should be slapping the axles under the truck next week!! Then decide what’s next. Only complaint I have with the sky kit abs it’s more of a question, is why they went to so much smaller hardware? Anyone have any clue? I’ll probably drill them out and go with at least the original size bolts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts