Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mad vibrations...

In 2wd between 15-30 mph i have this terrible vibration...u joints are good.... :wtf

In 4wd slowing down for a stop sign from highway speeds: MAD vibration and noises...seem to be in front, only does it in 4wd......(also does it while decelerating when going down a hill, but stops when i apply brakes) :wtf

Cruising down highway 2 and 4wd both: let off of the gas and it sounds like a hydraulic fluid grunt...then apply the gas and hear the same grunt. Really sucks when the cruise is on in hilly roads and all it does is grunt, grunt, grunt :wtf

I just noticed all these strange things when i took the boggers off and went to all terrains so i can hear all the sh!t thats goin on :twak

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve83 said:
Why the #E!! are you using 4WD on pavement? :eek: :wtf :confused:
No wonder it's groaning & grunting.
When you have 23" of snow you have to use 4wd on the road
:slap

Wheel bearings were new last week

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Traveler said:
Sounds like a Slip yoke, or a u-joint angle problem.
Yea im willing to bet its all an angle of the shaft problem....i just dont want it to be the trans making the groaning noise
:wacko

G

·
I was thinking about it today, do you still have auto hubs?
I wonder if you have a hub going bad.

I still have the autos, I like them, and every once in a while one will not disengage, or will engage for no good reason, if I spend some time running back and forth it will disengage.

If that's the case you should be able to jack it up and check them, spin the wheel and see if it is engaged, spin it the other way, see if it lets go.

I think it is pretty rare for a auto tranny to make any grinding noise, or cause that much vibration. Even the transfercase wouldn't sound like that.

Don't be too hard on Steve83, most of these guys don't see winter roads like we do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Traveler said:
I was thinking about it today, do you still have auto hubs?
I wonder if you have a hub going bad.

I still have the autos, I like them, and every once in a while one will not disengage, or will engage for no good reason, if I spend some time running back and forth it will disengage.

If that's the case you should be able to jack it up and check them, spin the wheel and see if it is engaged, spin it the other way, see if it lets go.

I think it is pretty rare for a auto tranny to make any grinding noise, or cause that much vibration. Even the transfercase wouldn't sound like that.

Don't be too hard on Steve83, most of these guys don't see winter roads like we do.
Nope I have Warn locking hubs...thanks thou :rockon

Would this be a gear problem.....I think the guy before me put new gears in it..could he have not set them right, would that cause vibrations?

G

·
Not sure what it would do if it was a carrier bearing. When you say it does it in 2 wheel drive, is it with the hubs locked in?
If not, and the front driveshaft is not turning, that would eliminate the front carrier, and driveshaft.

Then your looking at a wheel bearing, jack up the wheels and spin them see if you can feel, hear anything.

When I had u-joint angle problems, I would lock in the front end, jack up one front wheel, and spin it.

It would get tight then loose, tight then lose. Now this should happen in 2 wheel drive unless the front hubs were still locked in.

Not sure if 4" lift on a bronco would be enough to cause the problem or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Traveler said:
Not sure what it would do if it was a carrier bearing. When you say it does it in 2 wheel drive, is it with the hubs locked in?
If not, and the front driveshaft is not turning, that would eliminate the front carrier, and driveshaft.

Then your looking at a wheel bearing, jack up the wheels and spin them see if you can feel, hear anything.

When I had u-joint angle problems, I would lock in the front end, jack up one front wheel, and spin it.

It would get tight then loose, tight then lose. Now this should happen in 2 wheel drive unless the front hubs were still locked in.

Not sure if 4" lift on a bronco would be enough to cause the problem or not.
In 2wd the hubs can be locked in or out and it does that vibration between 15 and 30 mph, only while accelerating or only when under load. Definately in rear driveline.

Then as soon as you hit the 4x4 button it has the vibration when slowing down from higway speeds and coasting down hills. Open the door and all you hear is nasty chattering sounds.

The t-case does not seem to have an abundance of slop in it. But, the driveshafts are extended pretty good and both have slight play in the splines, maybe like 1/16".

Ball joints are new, tie rods and drag link are new, Wheel Bearings and races are new, u-joints are good, rear cardan joint is good.

G

·
With the truck in neutral, grab both sides of the slip yoke, see if you can twist them, if there is a lot of slop in them, that is your vibration, if they are maybe rusted together, that could be your vibration.

If it has a grease zerk in the slip yoke, pump it full, it will change the problem if that is what it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.