Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so on my way home tonight i learned my rear window wouldnt go down. Got home and its dark so couldnt really check any fuses etc. but when i try the switch i can see the voltage guage fluctuate a little so i know tge switch is getting power, but i tried my key on the rear and i just here the switch, motor makes no noise, tried tapping on the glass while working the switch but nothing happened. No prior issues, put a new motor in it about a year or two ago but no signs of failure till tonight

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
Welcome to the rear window stuck club
Check what you can electrically
* Push real hard on the TG . Maybe TG is partially latched. Get help pushing.
Last resort
* Take the access plate off the TG and hot wire the motor. Keep those wires handy for later troubleshooting developments. It will take many hours. Find the connector to the motor and use some kind of probe to apply 12v to the motor. When done your options are make a permanent hot wire with a new switch up front or put it back stock. Your test for all trials is to slam the TG very hard and see if the thing works properly. If it does not work so far then work on the latch to get it to work properly. This will include new bushings.
If that does not help then attack the switch beside the key lock and go from there.
When done you will be an expert on how the darn system works.
My final fix was a permanent hot wire because I never has time to deal with the full troubleshooting.
Good luck
PW

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just experienced the same problem. The upper window guide was torn and a piece folded over and jammed the window. I had to unbolt the motor and pry the window down until I could get the tailgate to open. Don't forget to press down on the interlock when you've got the window down far enough. Not sure if this is the reason your window is stuck but unbolting the motor, an awkward job to do, will enable you to get the window down. After that, troubleshooting the window operation is a lot easier.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Question, is the tailgate window motor the same part number as the front ones?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
IIRC, the tailgate window motor is the same as the passenger side window.
Look at Steve83's excellent write up on the tailgate. You'll learn all you need to know about how the tailgate works, and how to fix it.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12689-2

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, ive been waiting for time to do it, i guess better to be stuck up than down lol. Hopefully ill have time this week to mess with it. Also if i listen carefully it seems as i can hear a little noise from the rear tailgate when i press the front switch, maybe the motor is froze up idk. Damn remaned motors

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine was stuck up when I got it but it would move an inch or two down and up. The volt gauge would fluctuate also when the switch was pressed.

You don't have to remove the motor to get the window down, at least i didn't on mine.
I removed the access panel and sprayed some penetrating oil on the gears and moving parts but not the motor. After that it slid down with the switch. After I got it down I put some grease on the moving parts of the track guides and regulator.

Mine worked great ever since until those three little plastic plugs / slugs went out in the motor. After replacing them it's still working

1 - 7 of 7 Posts