Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It is. Thank you. I feel much better about the whole project after today. I will try to get some better pictures tomorrow. I was about 10 hours in when I finished, so pictures were a bit of an after thought.

What hurt the most was getting into the paint when I was welding. I had ground out where I thought the new metal would land bit once I pulled the quarters back together, I got the edge of the paint.

Looking back I should have reconsidered painting the sill before the install, but so much of the rust originated from unpainted, layered sections that I decided it was better to get some paint in those seams.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok. So I hit a snag while I was test fitting the tailgate. The body seems twisted. I suspect it happend when the spare tire rack gave out.

Does anyone have tips for squaring up the rear body? The core dimension are correct. I used a threaded rod to keep things tight and the height from the sill to the top is correct. Best I can tell both sides of the broco are leaning to the left.

I was able to add some bracing to keep the height correct while I cut the welds out. Once I removed the welds to the cross sill, I am able to close the tailgate. The body lines line up fairly well on the right but there is a huge gap in the upper left corner. I think it was bent out of shape when the tire rack broke, and I may have to live with it. I just dont want to weld the sill back in untill I have atleast tried to correct it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The rear sill is welded in. I wasnt able to drive it today but it feels very solid. I did get the gas tank put back in but still need to button up some of the wiring before I drive it.

It turns out that the upper quarter panel was bent at some point. I should be able fix that gap when replace the quarters. The tailgate closes smoothly and easily.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
853 Posts
I ran into the same sort of thing on mine. My drivers side looked great, nice and parallel to the tailgate, but the passenger side was off. It was good up top,, but too wide at the bottom by 3/4". Wasnt a big deal to correct. I had my top on so that was what held the spacing at the top, so I pushed the bottom into place & tacked it in place. Looks like you got it tho, just always a bit of uncertainty in us all when doing stuff like this, but it all works out & is solid now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
After a extended vacation, I'm back to working on the broncos. I spent most of the morning putting another tailgate in the bronco and the afternoon driving it. As @Rob_64-365 and many others have mentioned, the repaired sill made a huge difference. It feels like a completely different bronco. Considering I had no idea what I was doing I think it turned out great.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow but I have also changed the fenders. The new ones are not perfect but they dont have any large holes in them. I do have a set thats completely rust free but one is red and the other is white. This set isnt perfect but the core paint color matches.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So the next step is getting the tailgate working. I suspect that I will need to rewire it and change the lock cylinder. I have verified the window works, as I am able to raise and lower the window with a 12 battery but I think it just has too many spices in it. Both my bronco and the previous owner of this tailgate and cut and spliced the wires on opposite ends.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tomorrow I'm going to try and tackle this:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That is basically my plan. I do have some parts out of another bronco that I'm going to use. They are not perfect but are significantly better.

The job did escalate very quickly. I felt like if I was going to all that trouble, I should also fix the floor that's on that side and the wheel tub.

I would have liked to have gotten a little more of the prep work done, but my gas tank leaked off while I was on vacation, and I had to get to airgas before they closed.

·
Super Moderator
28,225 Posts
Yo Stitch,
How about if I move this thread to the build thread section along with a title change to 95 Rust Belt Bronco Restoration?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yo Stitch,
How about if I move this thread to the build thread section along with a title change to 95 Rust Belt Bronco Restoration?
Thank you. That would be awesome. I have been meaning to ask you to move it.

·
Super Moderator
28,225 Posts
Yo,
Will do now, hold on, it'll be a fast move!

Reactions: jermil01

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,936 Posts
I admire you taking this on..that's some serious rust..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I admire you taking this on..that's some serious rust..
Yea it is. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. If I did, I would have bought one from the south. I did find an 88 that I planned to use for parts but I got it running and the title sorted out. Needless to say it's off limits but It still needs a little work. Tie rods and exhaust at a minimum.

That being said, non-rusted out Broncos just dont exist in wv. Even rarer are ones that run well. I did put 100 miles on it Saturday, and it ran great. Fixing the rear sill did wonders for it.

So far everything i have replaced, other than the rear sill, had previously had new metal put on top of it, but the old metal wasnt removed so the rust continued to spread.

I am cutting out or treating everything I find, but honestly I'm just hoping to get a couple of years of enjoyment out of it, while I look for another one. Hopefully by then the prices will be a little more reasonable. I really need to pull the body off of the frame but I just dont have the space.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,936 Posts
Yea it is. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. If I did, I would have bought one from the south. I did find an 88 that I planned to use for parts but I got it running and the title sorted out. Needless to say it's off limits but It still needs a little work. Tie rods and exhaust at a minimum.

That being said, non-rusted out Broncos just dont exist in wv. Even rarer are ones that run well. I did put 100 miles on it Saturday, and it ran great. Fixing the rear sill did wonders for it.

So far everything i have replaced, either than the rear sill, had previously had new metal put on top of it, but the old metal wasnt replaced so the rust continued to spread.

I am cutting out or treating everything I find, but honestly I'm just hoping to get a couple of years of enjoyment out of it, while I look for another one. Hopefully by then the prices will be a little more reasonable. I really need to pull the body off of the frame but I just dont have the space.

I hear you..I see you're from wv..What part? We have property up in Summers County, I lived there for a bit when I was little.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I hear you..I see you're from wv..What part? We have property up in Summers County, I lived there for a bit when I was little.
Wow that's close. I'm in Mercer. We get to summers once in a while. There are a couple of restaurants right on the river we like to eat at.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,936 Posts
hah, small world.. I know Mercer when we go up to our place we get off at Princeton and take 20 up..Couple years back I took the family there and we stayed in Pipestem..I'm probably going to make a trip up there towards the end of September..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Pipestem is one of my favorite places. There is a drive in theater there too. When I was in college I liked to take my bronco up there and watch movies. Always thought it was the ideal drive in vehicle. Man I miss that bronco.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got the wheel tub partly welded in yesterday. Had a little trouble welding the top seem in. I had to patch a couple places in it and the repairs are making it hard to line up. It would be easy to fix from the back but I dont want to pull the quarter untill I have the replacement. I do have a good patch panel off my parts rig but it may not go up far enough.

I have been trying to do lap weld anything, most of the worst rust was in lapped seams that had been repaired or covered. I used an oscillating saw to cut it out. That seemed to work really well In the straight areas but it left a wider gap than I expected in some of the bends. Needless to say, it didnt leave me with the prettiest welds.

No to replace the cab pocket and that section of bad floor.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,936 Posts
wouldn't worry about it, those welds will get the job done.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts