Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I finished welding up the driver side wheel well and patched the pocket behind the driver seat.

Tomorrow I'm gonna a clean up the welds and make sure I didnt leave any gaps. I'm not gonna bother grinding the smooth, since they will be behind plastic, but I wanna make sure they a good and solid. The only place I had major trouble was alot the top. I should have tried to seam then in the bend. Thought it would look better but It made it harder to keep the metal flush. Finally broke down and used screws and fender washers to pull it together. Its ashame I didnt think of that sooner.

Tomorrow, cleanup and paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Not sure what happend to the pictures on that last post but I'll try to re-upload them.

I finished painting the bed today. I wanted to paint it yesterday, but I hit it with a good coat of rust reformer that needed 24 hours to dry.

I will need to go back and fix the passenger wheel tub. I havent done anything with it yet but its gonna need some work. I just want to take a break from the body work and just drive it.

Also included a before picture to compare. When I bought the thing looked at under the back carpet. I had no idea of the mess under the seat. The rust was from damp floor. It looks much better from underneath. Moral to the story always check under the carpet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I also brought home another parts rig yesterday that was on it's way to the crusher.

It's missing alot of parts, but what's not missing is the hard to find keyless entry parts. Also, the inner quater structure looks sold and I'm gonna have to do some work for the tire swing when I get to replacing my quater panels.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
I took it for a ride today. @jermil01 I eneded up in pipestem.

We went through a decent amount of rain on the way back. My suspicion was confirmed. I'm gonna need new weather stripping for the top.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,433 Posts
I took it for a ride today. @jermil01 I eneded up in pipestem.

We went through a decent amount of rain on the way back. My suspicion was confirmed. I'm gonna need new weather stripping for the top.

Nice, was that off the main road going in?? Took this picture up by one of the lookouts..those mountains are amazing..

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,433 Posts
You're making solid progress on that body work..just have to keep chipping away at it..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I did take that picture right off the main road. There is a place on the right to pull off about a mile into the part.

I think inknow right were your picture was take. I do love that park. If you do get up here next month, hike up to the fire tower. You can see for miles, which is rare in the middle of all these mountains.

And thank you, it is starting to come together, but I now know why so many projects go unfinished. There are many times that I have found myself very overwhelmed. Fortunately, I have done it in small enough pieces that I have been able to drive between projects. Getting it out and driving it reminds me why I'm doing it and that it's not hopeless.

I have not decided if I'm going to do the passenger wheel tub or the driver quater yet. I know I'm going to need to do some work on the inner support structure on both sides. That was the major reason for buying that other parts bronco. From what I could see, all that structure appears solid and should be useable. I still haven't decided if I want to also use those quarters or buy new ones. Knowing that I will have to pull them anyway, I may be tempted to weld new metal into them and use them.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,433 Posts
Firetower pic..the girls were a lot younger..they complained the whole way up, but the views were amazing..this was 2017..

body work is one of those things you have to have the patience and the time for..It's a major commitment especially when you're dealing with rust like that..but if you do a decent job, which you seem to be doing, it should last the life of the Bronco

Reactions: Stitch's 95

·
Registered
1995 Bronco 5.8 XLT
11 Posts
thanks for documenting all of this! I recently bought my 95' that has lived its life in Wisconsin so I've got basically all the exact same repair ahead. This is all really helpful to see prior to getting into it.

keep up the good work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
thanks for documenting all of this! I recently bought my 95' that has lived its life in Wisconsin so I've got basically all the exact same repair ahead. This is all really helpful to see prior to getting into it.

keep up the good work.
Your welcome and thank you. I have to give credit to @Rob_64-365. It was his thread that convinced me that I could do this. I also have some more pictures that I need to add to the thread. I was really lucky that my rockers were solid.

I still need to swap the quater panels and passenger rear wheel tub. I'm gonna take a little bit of a break and do some minor work to my 88. In the mean time I can drive this a little bit.

If yours is drivable, try to break the work up so that you can drive it between task. I have gotten really discouraged multiple times during this project and being able to drive it occasionally has kept me from giving up.

I have also tried to use parts I had instead of buying new ones. That added enough to the labor that I could not pretend to say I saved money doing it.

·
Registered
1995 Bronco 5.8 XLT
11 Posts
Yea I think ive poked around Robs thread also. ive had the truck for a couple months now i suppose, its currently my DD and was kind of a stress/rush buy after my 86 s10 little hotrod got stolen (from the driveway of our just purchased home, but it did turn back up in rough shape so thats getting an LS swap and solid frame off). So i definitely have to be mindful of how im digging into it.

I'm confident enough in my welding and fab skills (it might not always look the prettiest but it'll be solid) so when i procure some fenders/quarters ill start getting at it, i would like to at least get the rear sill/bed patched up before winter as my garage isnt heated.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,400 Posts
I have to give all credit to all of the others that have build threads that I went thru, & all the youtube videos I watched that gave me the confidence to jump in the deep end with both feet, seeing that I had never welded a thing in my life before. Now as soon as I get this Bronco done I want to buy another project car, & it'll be something rusty, which is something I have always avoided in the past.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I havent had a chance to update this thread in a while, but I'm still slowly working it. Since August, I have been covered up at work and the Broncos have taken a back seat. That is untill today. Decided to bring this one home this morning.

It is a little beat up and does have some bondo in it, but not near the rust of the 95. Best part is that its stock and a 96. I'm very excited to have obd2. It does still need the speed control work done. I'm hoping to build this into a stock daily driver, and finish the 95 as the lifted recreational one.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,433 Posts
Hey @Stitch's 95, nice score..I'm headed up your way this week..Leaving FLA tomorrow morning and plan to be at our destination in W. VA (Hinton) around 5:30 or so..I'm staying until Monday, then heading home..maybe we can meet up somewhere if you're around.

Reactions: Stitch's 95

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hey @Stitch's 95, nice score..I'm headed up your way this week..Leaving FLA tomorrow morning and plan to be at our destination in W. VA (Hinton) around 5:30 or so..I'm staying until Monday, then heading home..maybe we can meet up somewhere if you're around.
Absolutely! My place is about 5 miles off 77 and very easy to get to, if you want see both of them. I saw your post about needing a head and started to reply and was interrupted. If you still need one, I have a couple of parts rigs with complete engines.

I'll PM you my number.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,433 Posts
Absolutely! My place is about 5 miles off 77 and very easy to get to, if you want see both of them. I saw your post about needing a head and started to reply and was interrupted. If you still need one, I have a couple of parts rigs with complete engines.

I'll PM you my number.

Great. Sounds like you're right along the way..I was able to source a head locally, but i you have one in better shape that you'd be willing to part with I might take you up on it..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
It will probably be spring before I can make any significant progress on the 95. So, I'm trying to put a plan in place for what comes next.

Since I repaired the inner metal on the driver side, I will replace that quater panel next. I'll also need to replace some of the inner support structure on the back. To help with that, I'm in the process of cutting apart the quater panels from a parts bronco.

Once I finish the driver's side, I'll start the same process on the passenger side. Wheel tub, pocket behind the passenger seat, inner support ( tire rack), and then quater panel.

From there I'll work on replacing the weatherstiping. Once I'm confident I have the leaks fixed I can work on the interior.

To help with my planning, I'm trying to take alot of pictures of how the quaters come apart. I'll post them here for anyone else that needs them. When I cut these out I took everything from the roof to the rocker. I wanted to make sure I got all of the quater skin.

Reactions: Rob_64-365
41 - 60 of 72 Posts