Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Tapatalk seems to mess with the order of the picturs so I will go back at some point and add comments to these pictures but I got the rest of the outer piece taken off. I believe it was much harder getting it apart on a table that it would be on a vehicle. It was hard to keep it from moving.

My main reason for doing this, as mentioned above, was learning where the trouble spots are before I try to cut the quaters off the bronco.

Problem area one was at the top front of the quater. There is alot of seam sealer there hiding the welds. The column panel is also welded to the quater from behind. This may be a big problem, as those welds are not accessible without cutting out the inner column panel. I dont plan on doing that on the bronco.

I also had a hard time finding all the spot welds below the rain gutter. It's also worth noting that the colum is welded to the roof behind the rain gutter. I dont plan on removing it anyway but it may be good information to have if you are planning repairs for that area.

I also know that I'm going to need to use this tire brace and will probably also need to repair and reuse the metal that holds the tailgate. This piece is rough but will be much easier to repair than what is currently on the bronco.

My main reason for posting these pictures is so anyone needing to remove a quater will know about what to expect. I did take more so if there is a specific area that you need to see, I can post it also. I know I looked for similar pictures and couldnt find them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob_64-365

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Well I havent made any progress on months. The winter here wasnt terrible but cold enough to keep me from working on anything big. It's starting to warm up so I'm getting anxious to get back to work.

I did get those quaters cut out for both sides. I'm gonna sand them down and see what its gonna take to patch them. If it's no worse than I think it will be, I will use them instead of buying new.

We did have a couple days of heavy enough rain that washed the salt away. I felt like it was a good time to get it out and drive it. I dont think it has been moved since November but it ran great.

Reactions: Rob_64-365

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Got the top off this morning. Time to start drilling out spot welds. I won't know for sure untill I get quarters off, but I'm expecting the support material will need a fair amount if work also.

Reactions: loki1981

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I finished removing the driver-side quarter panel this morning. Now I need to start thinking about how far I want to go with the inner structure. After wheeling it off, it may be a little better than I had expected, but it needs work. Especially the rear structure. The inner sheet metal does have some deep pitting. I wire wheeled it off and one small hole did open up. When I did the wheel tub, I should have gone up a little higher. I guess that's the downside to having done the wheel tub before opening up the quarter.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,400 Posts
Looks just like the dillema mine had. My theory is, when in doubt, cut it out!!

I would suggest just pick a spot up high enough that the rust is not on the inside, and when it's opened up, clean it off the best you can, then treat it with rust inhibitor, then build your replacement part, one face at a time. So the C channel is made up of 3 pieces, makde separately, then weld them together to look like the piece you cut out, then weld that in. Diving in full speed ahead is the best way, cuz thinking about it is what slows you down.

This was mine in that area. See how I stitched together 3 pieces to shape it how it needs to be so it clears the inside of the quarter panel at the bottom.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Rob. Thanks for the reference. I was thinking about replacing it all with something more complex. What you did looks much easier and better than where my mind was leading me.

You are right about spending too much time thinking and not not dividing in. I did that alot last summer and didnt make near the progress I should have.

Today when I got stuck I decided to go ahead and start pulling the passenger quarter panel. In the time I would have procrastinated thinking about the support I had the other quarter off also.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,400 Posts
Thats lots of Fitzee's fabrication youtube videos & cuz I went thru all the same "omg what do I do here" thoughts on mine & at the end of the day, you figure out that it will be just fine & stronger than ever once you replace the thin rusty old stuff, with new steel, so don't worry, it will be perfectly fine with a little perseverance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thats lots of Fitzee's fabrication youtube videos & cuz I went thru all the same "omg what do I do here" thoughts on mine & at the end of the day, you figure out that it will be just fine & stronger than ever once you replace the thin rusty old stuff, with new steel, so don't worry, it will be perfectly fine with a little perseverance.
I just watched a few of Fitzee's videos. His butt welding video was fantastic.

Do you recall what gauge steel you used for the support? I have plenty of spare body metal but I'm gonna have to find something thicker for the support.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I used a pretty thick gage, maybe a 16 gage? It was a pain to work with, but it was all scrap from a pickup truck rear crossmember I had bought from NPD that said truck/bronco rear crossmember, but it was nothing like the Bronco rear crossmember. This was just before AMD came out with a Bronco specific rear crossmember, that everyone carrying now... anyway, It wasn't even close to working, so i made good use of it for heavy gage items, and the rest of it is in a scrap steel box I have.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I found a piece of 12. Its gonna be hard to work in but it should last longer than the rest if it. It wont fit exactly like the original structure but I can box it in and the quarter panel will cover it. Fortunately the upper cavity looks reasonably healthy from the inside.

The biggest challenge I forsee is the tailgate support piece. I'm gonna gave to cut the bottom part off and replace it. I have a section off of another bronco to use. Just gonna have to be very precise.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Any words of caution before I cut the top flush and start welding. I am gonna a pick up some weld through primer tomorrow and start welding it in afterwards.

I do have some cold galvanizing compound. I have used it and it seems to work. Anyone have any thoughts on how it compares to weld through primer. The welding supply house told me it's the same thing but that may have been them wanting to sell it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Melt it all together, it'll be solid as can be, just make sure your quarter panel clears, I cleaned mine with a wire wheel, coated it in rust inhibitor, then painted with chassis black, so its a lot of covering, so hopefully it lasts. Im hoping my bronco wont even see rain again if I can help it. My "Pavement Princess" stored in a heated & cooled garage! Lol

61 - 72 of 72 Posts