Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just making sure there are not any differences between wires on switching a computer from a 1995 with 5.8/e4od and a 1993 with 5.8/e4od;)

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
MAF was optional everywhere in '95; not just CA. But ALL with E4OD were MAF in '95, so the pins are certainly different from any '93.

My EVTMs for the 1995 5.8L Bronco (which we are talking about) show Speed Density for 1995 Bronco (49 States) and MAF for 1995 Bronco (California).

For clarification, your link shows a 60 Pin connector with E4OD Pins for Speed Density, Bank Fire and no MAF Sensor. It also shows a two 60 Pin connectors with MAF and SEFI, which is identical to my 1995 5.0L F150 MAF WAY1 PCM which I used for my MAF upgrade.

I surmise that this EEC Pinout diagram is for general 1995 Ford Trucks and is not specific to the 1995 Bronco. In addition to the 1995 California MAF Bronco (BI0), the 1995 F150 (WAY1/VEX1) is where we look for an EEC-IV OBD-I MAF E4OD PCM for Speed Density to MAF Upgrade.

In summary, I believe that MAF was only available in 1995 (California) for the Ford Bronco. To be clear, MAF was not offered in the 1995 (49 States) Bronco and it did not have a Roller Cam. I am sure that is what you meant but clarification is important for those of us that are easy to confuse...

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,500 Posts
Couple of things. I thought the later PCM would have additional updates made to the software that the earlier one didn't. Not exactly sure what that might be, but when I ordered the EEC for my SD prior to doing the MAF conversion they mentioned something about that.

Also, please clarify, I was under the impression that the MAF was pretty much limited to the 5.0. If the OP is talking about a 5.8 his almost undoubtedly will be SD correct?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
jermil01, I believe you are correct. Here is the 1995 Bronco 5.0L EVTM showing MAF, which does not specify California like the 5.8L Bronco does. My references were specific to the the 5.8L. It is easy to get tunnel vision here and miss the big picture. Good clarification!

Also, I think I remember something about changes in the OEM software applicable to the E4OD, but not sure about anything else.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Before you guys get too ahead of yourselves, remember that the '95 computer is going to be looking for 5 ohms resistance from SS1 and SS2 while the '93 is looking for 30ohms. Its not going to shift past second gear.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,500 Posts
Before you guys get too ahead of yourselves, remember that the '95 computer is going to be looking for 5 ohms resistance from SS1 and SS2 while the '93 is looking for 30ohms. Its not going to shift past second gear.
When I did my MAF conversion, I put a '95 WAY1 EEC in my '92 w/an E4OD and have not had any trouble.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Really? All mine did was throw trans codes. I had to swap out the solenoid pack to make it act right. Had your trans been done before? You can swap the later pack into an earlier truck and it works fine, but if you swap the early pack into a later truck it wont shift. I have a '96 trans in my '92 plow truck and all I had to do was repin the connector for that. The Bronco gave me fits getting it right using a WAY1

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,500 Posts
trans was rebuilt when I dropped in the 351. Guessing the pack may have been updated at that point, but not positive. There was a thread that I found when doing my MAF conversion about some of the differences between how the MAF EEC controls the shift solenoids versus the SD EEC, but I don't think there was anything conclusive that it wouldn't work using an early tranny with a later EEC.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
When I went through it I found that the older computer is expecting 30ohms of resistance from the from the solenoid pack and they newer one is expecting 5ohms. I looked that up with mitchell on demand (similar to alldata). I read somewhere (EECtuning.org I think) that in '95 they moved the resistors from the solenoid pack to inside the EEC.

That would make sense using the new computer you would double up on the resistors effectively killing the signal, but with the newer computer/old solenoid combo there would be no resistors making the signal stronger and still allowing the solenoids to do their job. All you have to do to verify this is unplug the solenoid pack and check your resistance across SS1 and SS2. I'm curious to see what it is on your truck and if it is the correct 30ohms then why did yours work but mine wouldn't?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Lets not forget that Ford didn't trash all the parts after completing a model year at the factory.
So you could find 1994 truck built with 1993 computers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts