Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a '96 full size eddie bauer edition with a 351 for $900. Motor has a lifter rattle and it is a little beat up, but it made the 2 hour drive home so I can't complain.

The previous owner cut the exhaust right before the cat so I just have 2 pipes coming down off of the manifolds. I want to have the exhaust dump out the back so I am not getting high off the fumes while driving. I would rather not run a cat just for price, but I can't find any y-pipes that don't include a cat. Can anyone give me any other options other than dropping $350 for a new y-pipe cat combo?

·
Registered
98 Posts
go to an exhaust shop and have one custom made. Bassani MIGHT make a y-pipe without a cat, but dont remember off hand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bassani makes one, but it's pretty pricey for someone like me that likes to just make thinks work. I had one made, 2.5" to a single 3" with a Pypes M80 muffler. Sounds nice, cost me about $230 for a full stainless exhaust. But I have goo friends, but I can't it costing too much for ya.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
if your not in a smog state/county just go to oriellys and get straight pipe for it, they probably wont have a new y pipe for you, but they make y pipe connectors on summit, so just order those and then 3" straight pipe,

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Yes. Pretty sure the 302 and 351 both had the same manifolds so should bolt right up no problem

·
Registered
710 Posts
yes, 95/96 should be the same, 94 is not. The manifolds have a slightly different "gasket" surface.

Unless you know someone personally at an exhaust shop and they are willing to break the law for you, they won't touch your truck except to put a new catalytic converter on for you.

I agree about the cost thing, it's ridiculous! If the government is going to mandate that I have something, then they should offer them for free or at least cheap.

My advice would be for you to either bite the bullet and get catalytic converters put back on it, or get some "fake" ones from the internet. usually state safety inspections require that folks at least visually check to see if the catalytic converter is present, even if they don't smog test them.

BTW, getting those Y pipes to line up just right is a real PAIN IN THE BUTT! Maybe the one I got wasn't built exactly right, but it took a few hours and several tries to make it stop leaking, we eventually had to get one lined up and then use a crow bar to hold the other one in place while we bolted it up. I won't do that again, there's an exhaust shop up the road that'll do just about anything for a 20 dollar labor charge...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I bit the bullet and got a stock replacement from performancepeddler.com. I found a coupon code on here and it ended up being $315 for the y-pipe with both cats shipped. Now I just need to find some O2 sensors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts