Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of a 408 build, moving to a 96 Mug4 OBDII EEC. I need help with harmonic balancer options. As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, the stock 351w used a 28 oz external balance, while the 302 used a 50 oz external balance. I will be running a misfire sensor and will need a balancer with, or that I can add the 4 ear tone ring to. Problem is, I am having no luck:

(1) finding the Ford part number for the factory 351w harmonic balancer with the tone ring. Can someone look on their's and give the the number.

(2) finding any aftermarket supplier for a stock replacement or

(3) For anyone who has done a stroker build with a 96 OBDII compuer, do you know if there are any options for upgrading to a high performance balancer that will accept the misfire sensor tone ring?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Unfortunately, I used a 28 oz. Internally Balanced Pioneer SFI Race Harmonic Balancer for my OBD-I Build.

See this thread from nsasanas stroker build, (page 3, 6 posts down), where he refers to his "Balancer w/Tone Ring" which I believe is the Crankshaft, or Misfire Sensor you are refering to. 393 build. Ask him what balancer he used on his 1996, which I am assuming to also be an OBD-II.

By the way, I recognize the challenges and admire your OBD-II Stroker Build in your 1990. Look forward to watching it's completion. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I am in the process of a 408 build, moving to a 96 Mug4 OBDII EEC. I need help with harmonic balancer options. As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, the stock 351w used a 28 oz external balance, while the 302 used a 50 oz external balance. I will be running a misfire sensor and will need a balancer with, or that I can add the 4 ear tone ring to. Problem is, I am having no luck:

(1) finding the Ford part number for the factory 351w harmonic balancer with the tone ring. Can someone look on their's and give the the number.

(3) For anyone who has done a stroker build with a 96 OBDII compuer, do you know if there are any options for upgrading to a high performance balancer that will accept the misfire sensor tone ring?
The stock 351W does indeed come with a 28 oz Damper Assembly, I used the factory original on my build.

The factory Ford number in my manual says 6316 but check with your local Ford dealer to insure that is correct. I think your best bet if you are having problems sourcing this is simply to go to the bone yard and remove one off a 1996 ford truck or bronco. Hope this helps and good luck with your build

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts

What did you ever do to find the correct balancer? Did you use a old stock one from a junkyard or find a new one that worked somewhere else? I'm having the same problem. Accidentally tossed my old one, with the ring still on it, but found a old 300K one at the J.Y. I'm afraid to use such a high millage one, any ideas? Got the ring but I just can't find a new balancer, with the lip, to put the pulse ring on. Thanks :thumbup -Kevin-

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey old thread thread buttttt...... i just rebuilt my 96 351w and having the same cant find it the part number is f6tz-6312-ja , none anywhere. theres a guy in oregon that rebuilds stock ones for 110ish plus shiping dale manufacting i believe he has a website and has been successful doing it for 32 years.

btw you threw out a rare hard to find part, it was apparently a 2 year only part run

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Hey old thread thread buttttt...... i just rebuilt my 96 351w and having the same cant find it the part number is f6tz-6312-ja , none anywhere. theres a guy in oregon that rebuilds stock ones for 110ish plus shiping dale manufacting i believe he has a website and has been successful doing it for 32 years.

btw you threw out a rare hard to find part, it was apparently a 2 year only part run
Yeah, I normally keep my old parts for spares, and in case the new part gives me problems later on. I took care of this a while ago. Just to update. The Harmonic balancer or vibration damper is exclusive to '96's because that's when Ford moved the location of the crank sensor or misfire sensor to the lower right corner of the timing cover. They are difficult to find because this was only in '96 and because of the design change. They utilize a lip, behind the 28 oz weight, that the tone ring presses onto. An earlier balancer will bolt on but you will have nothing for the crank sensor to take it's reading from, and in '97 they switched to 4.6 and 5.4 motors.......
To remove the old one just put a very large, flat tip, screwdriver between the ring & the weight and twist as you go around the whole ring. The ring will slowly slide off enough for you to wiggle it off. I bought a 3-jaw puller, but because of the different heights of ridges around the weight, you can't get a good spot for one of the jaws. I tried the screwdriver trick, just to see how tight it was, and it started to work it's way off.
I found a company, in Redding, Ca., through "ou man" original posted of this thread and they re-built mine for $135 shipped. They burn the old rubber out, then basically sand blast it to clean it up, use a 2-epoxy instead of rubber, balance it, paint it, and use a laser to re-burn in the timing marks. I'll tell you the truth. They were flaky as hell to deal with, had to call them 6-8 times for an eta when it would be done, and they even shipped the thing down the street to the wrong house, but in the end the damper looked great and comes with a 3 year warranty. It's easier just to call them and tell them what you want. The lady there says Don, think that's his name, is a chemist and has been doing these for 25-30 yrs and had great results.

Their name is "Damper Doctor" and here is a link:
http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=DD

If they have one in stock they will bill you for a core charge, and when you send your old one back, they will refund you. If you need to find one like I did, just head to the junk yard and look for any "96" Bronco, F150-F350, E150-E350 with a "5.8 motor only" and grab your battery powered impact and some tools and pull the damper off it........Good Luck! :thumbup -Kevin-

Reactions: BroncoJoe96
1 - 7 of 7 Posts