Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bronco will start up fine if its cool, but after driving it somewhere 20 mins or so away, it will not start up again. i looked into it, and got recommended to change the ignition module. its only 43$ from my local autozone, but how hard of a job is it? ive never really messed with the distributor before. anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
27,002 Posts
yo MELLIS
You have the Thick Film Ignition (TFI) Computer Controlled Dwell" (CCD) System and the Module is not inside or near the Distributor; it is loacted near driver side hood hinge;
here is a pic by JERMIL
In center of pic attached to it's heat sink
I would buy Only a Ford Motorcraft Module;
See this Excellent TFI Ignition Control Module Part Numbers Post by Seattle FSB

Motorcraft - DY1077

=======
Most of the Hot eng no starts are caused by the profile ignition pickup sensor (PIP), which is inside the dictributor; the profile ignition pickup sensor sends a signal to the powertrain control module indicating the engine rpm and the crankshaft position.
Symptoms: Engine will stall or miss.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: P0340, P0341, P0344.

but first, get it check for codes for free at a parts store.

Make sure The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:
KOEO
&
KOER

·
Super Moderator
27,002 Posts
yo Mellis,

Get it scanned for Codes first.
It could be other issues than the Module/PIP...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could you describe a bit more of the no start issue? Will it crank? or is there nothing when you turn the key? Thick film module problems and it would still turn over, just not start. Could be a battery cable issue if there is nothing going on when you turn the key. Extra information would be helpful. Maybe talk through an average "No Start" problem you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts