Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... been lurking on the site for a while, while I have messin with the new to me 96 Eddie Bauer Bronco. So far I have changed out the Radius bushing on the left side, the right side was done about a yr ago by what the previous owner said and by looking at it that looks to be true, and this last weekend I went ahead and changed the shocks as the original ones were still on it. Is the feeling in the front end like its floating normal? Everything is tight and good, been greased, nothing looks to be failing. Also when I shift from reverse to forward or vise versa the rear axle pivots a little bit and I get a thunk when giving it gas. All bushings and fastners seem to be normal and look great along with the u-joints. Is this normal also? This thing is very very clean underneath it for its age which was a selling point and runs like a champ.
Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Chris

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Does it have a front sway bar?
What's the condition of the tie rod ends?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What he said. Tie rod ends need to be good and the front sway bar would certainly help. These suspensions (front) do have a tendancy to be a bit "floaty". Have you checked your ball joints? What about your tires and alignment? All that stuff can contribute to that loose, floaty feeling.
As for the rear, something is loose if your axle is pivoting. Have someone shift it back and forth from forward to revers while your watching it (stay clear of the tires). I would guess your shackle bushings are going. The clunk is likely a bad/failing u-joint in the rear driveshaft. With the truck on level ground and in neutral, grab the driveshaft and try to wiggle it to see if there is anly movement in any of the joints.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
ttb bushings / balljoints /radiusarm bushings / drag link / steer rag joint / loose wheel bearings or miadjusted / sticking brake calipers/ blown shocks / loose u-bolts / wore out springs and bushings

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check your motor mounts and maybe the trans mount. I would think the clunk while giving it gas is caused by a bad motor mount, unless your ring and pinion have some serious backlash problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The clunk could be coming also from the splined slip part of the driveshaft, I know when mine got noisy, I greased her up and she was silent from then on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts