Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, quick question if anyone has any input.
Yesterday my 96 351 started idling rough at a red light, drove home, sat in the driveway, and it is almost like it has the hiccups.
If I hold down the pedal at 1000 rpm or higher, it hardly does it at all.
I had the EGR replaced last year, as well as the intake plenum gasket, so that is out.
I changed my wires, plugs, cap and rotor last week, so that is out.

I'm thinking it's the pcv valve, b/c that hasn't been replaced in over 5 years, and i've got 185,000 miles on it.

1. anyone got any input on that?

2. where is the pcv vale on a 96, and how big of a pain is it to replace? does it require any special tools?

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
I have two on my Bronco, one is located on the drivers side valve cover oil cap where you put the oil in and the other is located towards the back under the FI plenum on the passengers side valve cover with a rubber hose attached and it sits in grommett in the valve cover and you should be able to get it by hand, not sure where yours is on a 96. :banghead

Did you "pull codes" from the PCM, that's usually the best place to find out what the Bronco is doing.:doh0715:

There are numerous threads on "How To" pull codes and how to clean your IAC - Idle Air Control, Search ~ :chili:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It's possible that you did not fully seat one of the wires when you replaced them last week. and that one of your wires has backed off from the plug or the cap enough to cause a miss (assuming that's what you mean by a hiccough). IF it is NOT what you mean, then please use terms appropriately discriptive of automotive functions, not human functions.

Hiccoughs of an engine means more to me like your timing chain jumped a tooth, and with that you will get a loss of power, possible backfireing and certainly hessitation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BroncoJoe19, if you will kindly notice, the term I used was "hiccup."
I am not familiar with the word hiccouh.
I thought that a human hiccup was the best way to describe the way the engine is running.
I did not realize using words that normally describe human functions was innappropriate and/or offensive to one who enjoys diagnosing engine problems.
That being the case, I still believe that the word "hiccup" adequately and appopriately describes how the engine is operating at idle.
I believe many others can appreciate this way of describing the problem, because they can immediately associate and understand how a person hiccups, and how a engine that is not running smoothly might display similar characteristics to that of a human hiccup.
Thank you for your post.
The posts for the cap and plugs are nice and snug, similar to the way a good running shoe is snug on a human foot.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Sounds like a TPS sensor or a dirty IAC. Pull the codes, clean the IAC (good to do regardless) and test your TPS. I would also double check the connection of all your plug wires.

That should take care of your hiccup problem.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Hiccouhs of an engine means more to me like your timing chain jumped a tooth, and with that you will get a loss of power, possible backfireing and certainly hessitation.
If you are going to needle him on something, at least spell it right.:twak

And medically hiccup and hiccough are the same thing: an involuntary spasm of the diaphram.

I've never heard any mechanic refer to a hiccough.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If you are going to needle him on something, at least spell it right.:twak

And medically hiccup and hiccough are the same thing: an involuntary spasm of the diaphram.

I've never heard any mechanic refer to a hiccough.
Justin, thanks for the smack in the head :) I edited my post to properly spell hiccoughs.
joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts