Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Key turns nothing happens, searched this forum and thought I would be looking to replace the pot metal actuator, NOT, my bronco has a plastic rack which is moved by the gear in the key switch housing. the rack is connected to a plastic slide with a steel pin pressed into the rack that fits in the slide. pin fell out, difficult repair, part is 13.00 (rack w/pin). suggestions. 1. do not try to repair this without first removing the steering column to a bench. 2. standard trans, auto trans are different, tilt is different than non tilt. 3. some parts are spring loaded and will fly out. 4. take pictures and label all parts. 5 there are three parts in the key switch housing gear, bearing surface and retainer which must be removed. retainer pulls out with a small pick, bearing surface must be rotated clockwise w/ a flat tip screwdriver to remove, gear pulls out note orientation as you remove each piece. learn from my mistakes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone actually done this and can give some step by step instructions? I'm having the same problem on a 92 w/ tilt and it even affects the electronic transmission and speedometer as they are tied into the same fuse block (I'm presuming). Does anyone know of a video?How long should this take? I can't even figure out how to remove the column without screwing up the darn thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you do the work or find a good writeup could you keep it posted. i have the same problem and would like to fix.

·
Super Moderator
25,822 Posts
yo, here ya go and thank these guys when you see them here;
Repair Tips; "...the PO has fixed the broken actuator arm with some steel wire....There is a roll pin that is supposed to go through those holes to hold the ignition rod in place. I ended up breaking a new actuator trying to get the damn roll pin in there. So when I bought another new actuator, I inserted a piece of wire (larger in diameter than the one in your pics) through the holes, bent both ends, and clipped it short enough to keep it away from everything else. What I did was an easier option for me, since I already had the actuator installed in the column. It's been 8 months and probably 10,000 miles and I haven't had any problems..."
Source: by Micael & BigUgly88EB at Repair Tips; "...the PO has fixed the broken actuator arm with some steel wire....There is a roll pin that is supposed to go through those holes to hold the ignition rod in place. I ended up breaking a new actuator trying to get the damn roll pin in there. So when I bought another new actuator, I inserted a piece of wire (larger in diameter than the one in your pics) through the holes, bent both ends, and clipped it short enough to keep it away from everything else. What I did was an easier option for me, since I already had the actuator installed in the column. It's been 8 months and probably 10,000 miles and I haven't had any problems..."
Source: by Micael & BigUgly88EB at FSB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts