Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 bronco and recently its been sputtering when I'm idle and when I give it gas. It also has a hard time accelerating and will constantly sputter when I'm trying to accelerate, any ideas on what that could be? Also one of the technicians recommended that I should only take my bronco to a specific Shell station due to the levels of ethanol and/or the levels of octane. Is that something I should consider or were they being a little over dramatic?

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
858 Posts
my "guess" would be your fuel pump is going out, could also be a clogged filter..

·
Super Moderator
27,423 Posts
Yo Kp,
Have it tested for codes at closest parts store preferably Not at autozone.
WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Do not smoke, carry lighted tobacco or an open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly Flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury
96 Bronco Fuel PressureTest with scanner
- Key Off.
- Before releasing fuel system pressure at the Fuel Pressure Relief (schrader) valve, avoid fuel spillage and injury.
- Install the Fuel Pressure tester.
- Verify that the observed pressure is within specified limits.

Key On Engine Off .................... 240-280 kPa (35-40 psi)
Engine Running .................... 240-280 kPa (35-40 psi)

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,778 Posts
If you worry about ethanol you can get an ethanol neutralizer to add to the gas. Super inexpensive and worth every penny.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not worried about it but my mechanic brought it saying don’t get gas from wawa and suggested only going to shell. I’m trying to figure out if what they said has any merit. They said gas is way different than it was when the 96 bronco was made and can cause issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts