Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions/problems I am hoping I could get a little help with or pointed in the right direction.I have a 96 XLT 5.8 Bronco and I am having some issues with the trans.When diving home from work the thing started making a weird noise,it would stop if I let my foot off the gas.The O/D light on the gear shift started flashing but stopped when I turned the truck off and restarted.Also the truck lundges when coming to a stop (like a hard downshift??).Now for the bad part the truck has an original 350,000 miles on it many of those towing a 20' bassboat.But I have kept it serviced,motor still runs strong.I think the trans is a E40D.What kind of price would I be looking at to get the trans rebuilt?Thanks

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
O/D light flashing is safe mode. It's time for a serious rebuild. That many miles with towing a boat? Holy shat. I had mine rebuilt at the cost of $2,600.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
WOW 2600!!!!, I found a receipt for 1,800 when mine was rebuilt in 05

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
O/D light flashing is safe mode. It's time for a serious rebuild. That many miles with towing a boat? Holy shat. I had mine rebuilt at the cost of $2,600.
No, that's not what that means. :doh0715:

Pull codes. You've got a 96, so it's OBDII, and you'll need a scanner to get them. The parts stores normally do it for free.

Chances are, if it's still capable of moving you down the road, there's been no hard internal failure. You may have a bad sensor, a TC going, or some other potentially less expensive problem.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
C-6 is cheaper to rebuild as opposed to the E4OD, check the bolts holding your rear driveshaft to make sure they are tight, but chances are it could be your rear driveshaft going out.
who the hell said anything about a C-6??????? or was it the quick look at the avatar and just assumed thats all I had?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
check the bolts holding your rear driveshaft to make sure they are tight, but chances are it could be your rear driveshaft going out.
Chances are, you didn't read what he posted.

The O/D light on the gear shift started flashing but stopped when I turned the truck off and restarted.Also the truck lundges when coming to a stop (like a hard downshift??)
Would not be caused by anything to do with the rear driveshaft.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,581 Posts
Chances are, you didn't read what he posted.

Would not be caused by anything to do with the rear driveshaft.
Yes I did, However I have experienced a vibration that would cease once I applied the gas at highway speeds, and it was the driveshaft going out.

I have seen the shifter handle O/D light flashing in a different truck I used to drive for work, it was a 92 F-250 diesel, and the tranny kicked like a mother, and eventually it went out.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
No, that's not what that means. :doh0715:

Pull codes. You've got a 96, so it's OBDII, and you'll need a scanner to get them. The parts stores normally do it for free.

Chances are, if it's still capable of moving you down the road, there's been no hard internal failure. You may have a bad sensor, a TC going, or some other potentially less expensive problem.
I didn't mean that the overdrive light flashing meant rebuild time. I said that because of the number of miles. Just trying to clear up the confusion so I don't look like a noob.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Yes I did, However I have experienced a vibration that would cease once I applied the gas at highway speeds, and it was the driveshaft going out.

I have seen the shifter handle O/D light flashing in a different truck I used to drive for work, it was a 92 F-250 diesel, and the tranny kicked like a mother, and eventually it went out.
Strange noise coinciding with the OD light flashing wouldn't be a rear driveshaft.

this can also just be the speed sensor...
No. VSS failure wouldn't cause the OD light to blink.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just priced a rebuilt E4OD, for my 94, because it has 305,000 miles on it, and I'm thinking it's gonna be time to replace it soon, although it still shifts fine, BUT ANYWAY, I was quoted $1295.00 for the unit, including a new torque converter, and without having to send them mine as a core charge. By the numbers I am seeing on this thread, it sounds cheap.....too cheap maybe?
What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
668 Posts
thats a good deal, i got mine done for 1200 by a reputable small shop. They did a good job and i am very pleased. the only problem is that i cant put a real shift kit in it till the warranty expires.:banghead

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I'd say mechanically your e4od is fine. That's amazing, with good maintenance and all the updates (1995+), e4ods can last many miles.

I'd say a sensor or a bad connection somewhere is causing your transmission problems.

scan for codes, tell us what you find

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Do this before doing anything else. The flashing light means something meaningful, i.e. the PCM sees a definite problem and has logged a troublecode in its memory, just waiting to be retrieved. It will likely give you a basis for repairs. Please don't go throwing parts at it and THEN find out it was something simple.

Just as an FYI (not necessarily for the OP), the E4OD rebuild kits are only about $150-200 for a quality kit with everything you'd need. Add another $100 for a new solenoid pack if you choose to replace that too, and maybe $75-150 in upgraded internal parts. OTOH, a Motorcraft rebuilt transmission with a warranty is actually a great buy IMHO, in terms of cost, quality, availability, and warranty service.

Just trying to clear up the confusion so I don't look like a noob.
Too late, dude. :histerica

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.