Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
542 Posts
not to hijack but my e4od has been giving me shit for some time now. first off from a dead stand still if i plant it it shudders like a mofo, so getting it out of the hole fast is a chore. second off 2nd gear slips its ass off, if im babying it it some times slips and sometimes it doesnt, but running it forget it 2nd is useless. the o/d light doesnt flash and theres no codes. 3rd and 4th gears are fine. Im hopeing its just the converter but with my luck i doubt it. It shifts pretty firm i wouldnt say hard but you do notice it. What do yalls think it could be?
O and the truck only has 154,000 miles on it.

· Registered
11,042 Posts
not to hijack but my e4od has been giving me shit for some time now. first off from a dead stand still if i plant it it shudders like a mofo, so getting it out of the hole fast is a chore. second off 2nd gear slips its ass off, if im babying it it some times slips and sometimes it doesnt, but running it forget it 2nd is useless. the o/d light doesnt flash and theres no codes. 3rd and 4th gears are fine. Im hopeing its just the converter but with my luck i doubt it. It shifts pretty firm i wouldnt say hard but you do notice it. What do yalls think it could be?
O and the truck only has 154,000 miles on it.
I'd replace your MLPS.

Chances are, the transmission is shot, but you ought to throw a new MLPS on the new transmission anyway. Being the chance that it may just be a bad MLPS, if you solve the problem with replacing it, you made out fine in the end.

· Registered
542 Posts
I'd replace your MLPS.

Chances are, the transmission is shot, but you ought to throw a new MLPS on the new transmission anyway. Being the chance that it may just be a bad MLPS, if you solve the problem with replacing it, you made out fine in the end.
ill try the MLPS and the TPS stuff. hell if i get the new parts and it doesnt work then ill jus take em off and put them on the trans i got waiting to go in the truck. so either way its stuff i gotta buy.:rockon

· Registered
8,491 Posts
Do this before doing anything else. The flashing light means something meaningful, i.e. the PCM sees a definite problem and has logged a troublecode in its memory, just waiting to be retrieved. It will likely give you a basis for repairs. Please don't go throwing parts at it and THEN find out it was something simple.
I'm having a similar problem. I hit a nasty bump yesterday going into the gas station. The ABS light popped on. I ignored it, filled up and got back on the road. Truck did not want to shift out of 1st, and when it did it slammed into 2nd. The the speedometer became non-reactive, but the odometer was fine.

The the O/D light on the shift lever started blinking. Eventually the speedo started working again, and the blinking O/D stopped. Now the speedo needle is erratic and bounces around.

I turned it off and then started back up and everything was normal. I pulled the codes and got P0500 (speed sensor malfunction).

This morning everything was still fine until I got halfway to work, when the ABS light came back on and the speedo started bouncing again. The trans shifted fine though. My bronco only has about 84K on it.

I visually inspected the ABS sensor and it looked fine, I may replace it for shits and giggles if its cheap. What else do I need to inspect?

· Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
The associated wiring harness and the condition of the differential oil.

· Registered
8,491 Posts
Didn't get around to checking the harness or fuses....when I got back outside, I think the temperature had dropped 30 degrees. Its 34 outside right now, too damn cold for this southerner.

I'll mess with it tomorrow.

· Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts

· Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Just a little info, my friend blew up the E40D in his '90 bronco (with a billion miles) on it a couple months ago.. literally blew up, trans fluid was pouring out (it had shifting problems before that, too) and it cost him 1600 to have it redone at a good shop here in Cali.

· Registered
8,491 Posts
I inspected the harness, everything looked fine. Checked my fuses, none blown.

I removed the sensor again and cleaned the hell out of it (it wasn't very dirty to begin with). Took it for a spin and the ABS light went off, still had the bouncing speedometer needle. I had picked up a new RABS sensor yesterday from FoMoCo. Installed it and put about 50 miles on it this afternoon, so far, so good.

· Registered
62 Posts
My issue is very similar to the op, who i guess stopped checking this thread? At random times when the trans shifts (not between any two specific gears) the o/d light will flash accompanied by hard buccing upshifts, and unnoticeable downshifts. It used to happen more often, then the problem went away for about a month, and now on my way to school it happened again. When i restart the engine, it goes fine, no issues. My check engine light is on, but the codes have nothing to do with this (EGR flow excessive and EGR flow insufficient, both from when i had a custom exhaust installed) It's a '96, 5.8, E4OD.

Thanks in advance for your help

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.