Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m new to the forum thanks for having me. Having some issues I know a proper tune could fix, however being new to fords and Broncos, I don’t even know where to start. Here’s the problem, I have a 96 bronco 5.8 XLT with E40D, MAF ODB2 truck, that I purchased to build with my daughter. It’s going to be her first ride. After installing a reman transmission, ALL sensors are new (motorcraft), normal tune up and fluids, all motorcraft stuff except the wires I think. Checked timing at 10, with the pill out. Flow cooler water pump, new timing chain, gaskets, HD clutch fan, yata yata, completely factory stock. Thing runs and drives like a champ. So then we got this great idea, let’s supercharge it. And so it begins.

Put a used BD11A Powerdyne on it, factory 6psi pulley, I went through the supercharger and put a new belt on, polished the snail etc. the setup didn’t come with an FMU so after much research I purchased an OBX 12:1 ratio calibrated for the 19lb stock injectors. Started, runs great, drives good in the range it should(not a race car, just cruising). Then it just stalled pulling into the driveway, stalled again coming to a stop running around town. Check engine light came on, ran the codes got a P0171 Bank 1 lean condition. Got no way to see what the fuel pressure is doing going down the street, haven’t done any WOT pulls. Again it runs good under power, just stalled twice coming to a stop and threw the code. Stock pump by the way, but wouldn’t think that would be an issue at low rpm use around 1-2 psi boost max probably. Any ideas? Could it be as simple as a bad reman 02?

I really would like to know what I need to get piece by piece to be able to tune this with my computer. I’ve seen a bunch of stuff online about long extinct tuners etc. Does this ecm have the ability for me to data log, and change parameters or am I stuck going a custom stand alone job now days? Cause if that’s the case the chargers coming off and going on classifieds here, not worth the trouble of a stand alone. Wish I had a tuner I could have program it for me but I can’t find any around here and I’m so out of the loop anymore. I’m an old school hot rod fella with a brief stint in the import craze in the early 2000s. I figure you guys either know, or can point me to who does. Any questions, comments or concerns are much appreciated....

I want to put larger injectors, fuel pump, ditch the FMU, and tune it correctly but don’t know where to start on this setup.

so fire away, hit me with some tune options, issues you think it could be now, anything you want to add. This is a project truck, down time is no issue.

Thanks again for having me.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,015 Posts
First of all, welcome! Nice to see new faces around here.

I’m no expert on this stuff, but I’m currently building an engine for my 96. I have a guy local to me that does tunes on these old rigs, so he’s gonna help me out when it’s time.

So you put a SUPERCHARGER on your engine with everything else stock? I wouldn’t drive this any more without changing a few things. It’s no wonder you’re showing lean condition since you’re pumping a bunch of air into the cylinders with no additional fuel. I’d say you probably need to bump up to 24 or 30 pound injectors, possibly a recalibrated MAF, and a tune by a pro. There are some aftermarket tuners on the market but like I said, I don’t know much about it.

One of our guys here @CrazyBRONCOguy might have a little more to offer on this subject.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the reply.
“Supposedly” this setup is supposed to run on a completely stock setup, the FMU is supposed to add fuel pressure at 12:1 ratio to boost, which sounds simple and too good to be true. Where it’s getting murky for me is I see some kits like this came with msd btm boxes, some with boost a pumps, some with just an FMU. The information is so spastic and all over the place, hard to get a go to answer.
I have continued my search on here and elsewhere, what I’ve come up with as far as options is this quarter horse thing, and editor software, and some other software that works with the other two to give a decent graphic user interface. Honestly hard to believe that in all these years nobody has a do all be all solution like other manufacturers have. This thing has a odb2 port on it, I hooked up one of the unlocked tuners I have, an old x4, it read that it was a Ford, and some other info, but said it basically wouldn’t work. Sure would be nice to have a nice GUI and tuning software, that I could upload like I do with my powerstroke.
I still don’t get why it’s cutting off on deceleration to a stop, and only here or there. My past experience with boosted cars, this would happen in turbo cars designed for a recirculating bov that was vented to the atmosphere and tuned incorrectly. The Broncos setup however does not have a bov at all. I’m wondering if the maf is reading incoming air, with the throttle blades shut, and it’s backing up through the supercharger causing turbulent air to re enter the MAF from the other direction. This would cause excessive rich condition off throttle on deceleration to stop, thus the stumble and shutoff. At least in my mind, but again I cannot access the computer info for it to tell me. Is there any package deal tuning setups I can get that will give me what I need? I suppose I can ask my bud for his high dollar scanner, but I cannot make changes with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MS88,
Reading beside your name it said your in Tennessee? I’m just down in North west alabama. Depending on how far your tuning guy is, I could trailer it to him if you think he would mess with it. Is there anything I would need to get for the computer so he could tune it, or does he have the ability to data log and flash it somehow on a dyno?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,015 Posts
MS88,
Reading beside your name it said your in Tennessee? I’m just down in North west alabama. Depending on how far your tuning guy is, I could trailer it to him if you think he would mess with it. Is there anything I would need to get for the computer so he could tune it, or does he have the ability to data log and flash it somehow on a dyno?
Well, my Bronco is a former TN DNR vehicle from Knoxville area. I, however, am in SE Michigan - a bit far from AL.

My tune guy has everything he needs at his shop to tune my existing PCM for my new settings, which includes 24# injectors, mild cam, 10.5:1 compression, 70mm MAF, and 56mm throttle body. I’m running natural aspiration though, so I can’t really speak to the limits of the stock PCM with forced induction. If you can find a local tuner who is well versed in older trucks, he should have all the equipment needed, and if you need an on-board aftermarket management system, he’ll tell you what you need.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
MS88,
Theres got to be someone in Memphis or Birmingham that knows how to tune superchargers on older vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
There was a guy on here a while back that built a custom supercharger setup and tuned it with either a quarterhorse or tweecer, maybe @Swat ? I can't recall exactly. What I do know is, you need to be able to pull timing as boost rises, you definitely need larger injectors and a bigger fuel pump, and an adjustable FPR would be beneficial. I went standalone on my build but the other thing you need to consider, if you go that route, is how you are going to control your transmission (assuming you have an E40D). Get a wideband installed so you can at least see what your current setup is doing.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo T,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the best year Bronco!

Have you had it scanned for Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details,
View attachment 154412

scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.
Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links), includes "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery

Try to find time to participate and vote in our Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded! A full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted. Also, a years worth of premium FSB membership is awarded to the winner.!
Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.