Discussion Starter #1
4x4 and Off-Road Forum96 bronco wont start
Forum Home
Brand Specific Tech
Ford
96 bronco wont start

ffjosh

2h ago - #1

Info 96 bronco 4x4 Eddie Bauer 170k Has been used previously off-road. Pretty much stock except for 35s. Will not start Can not hear fuel pump Sprayed gas into intake and still didn't fire Checked spark and no spark Checked and bypassed inertia switch Checked all fuses and relays. Relays I probably didn't check right. However i did swap them around with no luck 1 30 amp was blown. Replaced it and it blew again. Unplugged washer motor and fixed it. I jumped the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump works. It just won't work while cranking For spark I unplugged the grey connector that jumps the red wire to the eec. Still no fire. So I'm a little lost. Possible bad pcm? Seems I have power to the fuse block just not after. Possible my relays are bad but what about spark? I am a newbie to this.

No check engine light Everything on the dash works except the fuel gauge. It only works sometimes. I can watch it move up to a 1/8 tank and then drop back down. It still won't fire during this.

Curious of the eec relay but have no idea where to look if I even have one.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
How about pulling codes from the ECM?

That is by far the 1st and best place to start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From all the research I've don't its weird I have no fuel pump and spark. Everything I read its normally one or the other

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sounds to me like the ECM has no power, at least no power while cranking. I had this happen once. Power wire to the ECM relay had corroded most of the way through and my ECM would loose power.

ECM runs the FP relay and controls spark.

Good luck,
Jason

·
Super Moderator
26,076 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the ecm the aluminum square thing on the driver fender well? The PCM is the one inside correct?

·
Super Moderator
26,076 Posts
Is the ecm the aluminum square thing on the driver fender well?
The PCM is the one inside correct?
yo,
Yes to both;
Ignition Control Module (ICM) Location pics (near driver's side hood hinge) & info in a 96 5.8; "...Spout connector wires go into ignition module wiring connector..."

Source: by DNBELOWBRONCO (Kevin, Labor of Love) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/689143

PCM (aka EEC) Location & Removal in 92-96 by jowens http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294553&page=2

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
There is no check engine light but I do have a scanner I'll hook up tonight
And just because you got in a accident you can have internal bleeding without showing any signs on the out side.

Same with the EFI. it can have codes and never trip a check engine light.

Unless your saying when you turn the key to on, the check engine light doesn't light up then go out. That could be a blown bulb or lack of power.

·
Super Moderator
26,076 Posts
Yo Josh; Fuel Pump, PCM (aka EEC) Power Relay, Horn, etc. are in Power Distribution Box; Location pic in 92-96; Miesk5 Note; Located under the hood on the drivers side fenderwell, on driver's side of the air cleaner housing

Source: by Froggmann (Ken P)

PDB Diagram in a 95
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at http://broncozone.com/topic/21047-1995-bronco-fuserelay-question/?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha thanks. Ya I've been all over that but was looking for the brown or green relay which mine don't have if I'm correct

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BTW this site is awesome. Never had this much good help on a forum...especially asking the same questions I'm sure are asked

1 - 20 of 28 Posts