Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the chance to by this Bronco. It has 142000 miles on it. Body is a ecellent condition just a few bubbles on one fender well and a couple on the lower tail gate, other than that the paint is in great condition. Has nice aluminum rims. The interior in in great shape no tears or cracks. Drove it 2 times now shifts well and the 4x4 works also. Has nerf bar steps on it and a chrome push bar on the front. What would you all consider a good deal?

Thanks Eric

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
Well kelley blue book at work shows it has a low book of $4025 and a high book of $6800...accounting for milage...Gives you an Idea what it is worth.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
are the bubbles like rust?? i got a 96 XL with like 79000 miles on it for 4400. the XLT package should bump that quite a bit, but the rust is a def. no-no. i would say like 4500-5000 with the miles, and thats if its as pretty as you say it is. this is a total guess, kbb.com would be a better bet to know for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
69 Bronco

I can get the truck for 5000.00 It is in ecellent shape. The bubbles are very smaill and only a few of them. No dents or scratches to speak of. It is a really clean truck. The interior is a 9 out od 10 no tears or real wear on any of the intereior. All power everthing works. Air up lumbar support...........Got to have that in a truck right??????????? Just trying to get an idea on it. Anymore help would be appreciated. Anything to look for??? I read here I think that 96s where the best ones built.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I'd try to get him down for 4000-4500, not that it's not nice or anything, but Bronco's can be found for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Those few rust bubbles are going to be a lot of rust holes in no time. See if he'll get it fixed, or get a quote from a body shop on how much to fix it, and detract that from the average kbb price.

It's hard to say, here in south jersey, broncos in good shape with low miles will go for 6-7k or more, depending on what they have. The beach fishermen around here love them, as do the mudders, so decent ones are in demand here. In an area that has tons of them, and the demand isn't that high, you're obviously going to get less for em. How long has this guy been trying to get rid of it for? That should be a good way to work with the KBB price.

Check the trans flud and see what it looks/smells like, check the oil, ask for a maintenance sheet on it, and get all the info you can for us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok........ The bubbles are very small actually like surface rust. The car is at a local car dealer that a guy that is in the army just got back from the sand box. He had some money so he traded it in. I am planning on having a buddy that is the Highschool auto shop teacher give it a run through he races and builds stock cars also. The paint is original. The little bit of rust cant even be seen unless you get down and look for it. It can only be found on one rear panel and a couple bumps on the tailgait. The interior is excellent. I know that it will need to be fixed before it turn to cancer. But other wise it is in excellant shape. Where the 96s known for anything problematic?

·
Registered
621 Posts
what size motor? the trans will probably need to be replaced i'm 4 for 4 with bronco's and needing trasnmissions. paint has bubbles, doesn't matter if they're dime size they'll rust through. 3500 for the truck but im from az and i haven't seen a vehicle with any rust since i went back to michigan.

·
Super Moderator
26,724 Posts
"... buddy that is the Highschool auto shop teacher give it a run through ..." best thing you can do to est. any repairs needed Is the inspection sticker current?
Since you asked, we have a 96, bought it new in May 96 and basically, we "over-maintain" it...meaning 3k mile oil/filter changes & lube, all filters changed before severe duty schedules, etc. Still, we had minor problems that we addressed quickly.

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
- oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge and undercoat/paint by Ford!
- radiator plastic side seam leaks, esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - our's leaked @ 50k miles - look for leaks after engine has cooled down, esp. overnight
- auto tranny - E4OD had a lot of improvements made by 96 so look for good shifts and see the maintenance records; fluids/filter should have been changed every 30k miles and less if used for towing
- transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area; usually a broken travel stop or the motor connector is fouled, etc.
- auto hub operation (get it in sand, snow or mud and try the 4x4 system; or mark the driveshaft w/chalk or tape and see if it moves when in 4x4 for a short drive; ours blew @ only 30 k miles despite freq. maint.)
- rust in inner rear fender lips and bottom of tailgate (fender lips was rusting due to beach sand wearing the paint & road salt) ...check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass
- radius arm bushing deterioration (I sprayed em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings
- ball joints..our's are ok, but costly if not DIY
- PSOM, make sure it works; look for a waver in the needle at highway speeds..costly to replace w/new; most get yard units for DIY; , a crooked dealer here in NJ has been caught for the 3rd time switching PSOMs!..there is also a device to roll-back odometers on PSOMs..so look for some maint records or contact a dealer to run an OASIS report to see what maint was done to it a Ford dealership... Car Fax is iffy..they do NOT list over $5k in single accident damages on 3 of our vehicles & our 92 Van had less mileage than when we sold it according to a CarFax report 2 years later... they id nothing after we contacted them.
- cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.
- roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)
- emissions air check valve & cat. converter tubes..tends to rust early; as does the AIR tube
- radiator supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side PIA to replace
ina ll, a great Bronco and dependable from the get-go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts