Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey names jeff im 16 get my license in a few days, i did an intro but i wanted to do a progress build thread. few details on the bko. 96 xlt 5.8 351w auto, got it the day after thanksgiving and have done nothing but work on it since, came from the po basically bone stock, besides the paint, shaved swing away, grill, bullguard, carpet and sound system. heres the pictures the po posted on craigslist.

·
Premium Member
5,371 Posts
Nice, black was my last bronco, discover Zaino paint sealant it's a must for black.. Where's your spare tire? Welcome to the forum, you found the right place for anything Bronco. Looks like your going for a nice version of a stock ride.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Looks like a good place to start.

If it were me the first thing i would be doing is painting those red door jams black to match the rest of the boby. I can't stand when someone changes body color and leaves the the jams the old color it just looks unfinished that way.
I agree....

Very clean looking Bronco to start with though

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys,im aiming for a daily driver/ mild wheeling rig. im 16 im not driving the highway everyday. school work and wheeling is jsut about it. i have actually done alot to the bronco so far and was in the process of posting a boat load of pics and info when my buddy showed up in his 05 ram 1500, i am not a dodge enthuist in anyway shape or form, but he just got his cold air intake and throttle body spacer in and asked me to put it on.after we got it all finished we looked at a gauge he has that tells him how many miles till hes empty (never seen one before) when he pulled in it read 10, after we put the cai and tbs it was up to 35! so we took it for a ride. got the tires to spin at 40 and i couldnt believe the horsepower difference! i know what my next mods gonna be!!!. back to the bko. silient one, im in the process of painting the door jambs under the rear cap and tailgate, the tailgate broke on the po and wouldnt open at all, after about 3 days and a 2'' hole i drilledp in it i finally got it to come down, i bought an 89 for parts $400 and it came with the 33's i have on it now. so i took all the hard ware out of that and put it in the 96 so im gonna paint all of those. heres some pics of when i got it up basically up untill now.

thats the 2nd day i had her playing in the front yard, mom and dad werent too happy:thumbup
the stock tires were so bad if you let go of the wheel while driving you were off the road. so i got these 28'' from my dads buddy i used till i got the 33's, im gonna use em for a burnout contest this summer.
after christmas i had got some money and spent $200 and bought 2 15'' blue neons tubes and 2 20" neon tubes and put the 15's in the foot wells to one switch and the 2 20's off the sub box in the back to another switch.

the i bought the 89 for parts. it was a rusty old eb with 33's on american racing rims. my grampa was looking for a plow truck and i wanted stupid parts from it so we went 50/50 and i got the wheels and back seat right away. then i broke a door handle and took that. i took the tailgate hardware, and the swingaway (i think bkos look stupid from the back with out a swingaway, too boxy imo). heres a pic the day after i picked up the 89 and switched the tires.
i was so excited about the tires me and a buddy changed them outside in the dark in a 20-30 degree new england snowstorm. here both the 89 and 96

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had to cut the bumper alil bit so they werent rubbing but i was ok with that. (i have to give a huge thanks to my grampa, he was a mechanic and had his own garage for 20 some odd years and grew up around cars. he has done soo much to my truck but has shown me in the process) nxt step was some fog lights he gave me that i bolted to the bull bar( for now) gonna put them in the little rectangle cut outs in the bumper eventually.

then it went under his deck from january until april to get ball joints, u joints, radius arm bushings, axel seals, dust sheilds. while on the off days where my grampa was working and i wasnt sure what to do i would tinker around with it. rewired stuff took the subs and flipped em around. then decied that i have a bronco i want the top off. so i took the seat out of the 89 and switched em, it wasnt easy between the subs and tailgate now going down but i did it, then 1 pair of needle nose pliers 2 weeks later 3 securitry torch bits and about 4 hrs searching on fsb i finally got the top off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took a few months but the front end was complete. my parents put the truck on the rd as my christmas present so i could drive it with mypermit and get use to it, and they wanted a 3rd vehicle. the day i finished it up i took her to my house, 2 houses down the road, washed it took the top off and now that my u joints were fixed decied to put it in 4wd and go wheeling, i know its sad but i told my grandma to get in that we were going for a ride:thumbup
all clean.

got stuck alil but managed to rock myself out.
alil muddy.

it was "suspose" to rain that night so i had to put the clean top back on the muddy truck. never rained but heres a picture from the following morning

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was going in for nose and throat surgery on a thrusday morning before april vaca. so my buddy with his license drove to my house and we took my truck to school so i could show it off. after school we decied to go to the favorite mud hole and i got her pretty dirty.

surgery went bad took a few weeks to recover. so after the mud caking on for 3 weeks i had to wash her, had to pressure wash it 4 times to get it "clean"
poser shot of it cleaned up

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it went back on the jack stand to do the rear brakes, leaf spring hanger brackets, shackels and exhaust. got alot of other stuff done in the mean time off this and ran into a few more problems. before that i started a project that would take a bit to finish.

off the 89

spare that came with it.

my little brother in the picture, and no those arent cb antennas just white sticks to give an idea of what i wanted lol.

all painted with real cb antenna bolted on.

bolted on. working well. all the white dust on my truck is the 2'' of paint primer and bondo i had to grind throught to retap the orignal holes
didnt stop there, saw a thread on here looking for offroad lights about rear auxillry light. figured what the heck.

moved the cb antenna to the top rail and took a peice of angle iron, drilled 3 holes, 2 on the sided one on top and got longer bolts and bolted right to the cb base
my grampa bought me 2 3' white firestick antennas, so i changed to that one, he wants me to do the 2 on either side but im not a big fan of that.

thats how the rear looks to date.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
james, i kinda like em, imo there no rock sliders but they did prevent some serious damage when i was wheeling. i wanna do the custom rock sliders and bumper eventually

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the exhause i had done at the same time as the brakes and swing away. it was a universal muffler that the weld had broke right after it so it stoped right after the muffler. idk how the stockone looks but the muffler was right up against the cat and 02 sensor? (correct me if im wrong:thumbup) me and a buddy were wheeling and came acrosse a single chamber cherrybomb like muffler. in pretty go condition besides a lil dent and the broken weld. it had a chrysler imprent on it but figured id use it. my grampa walking me through it i cut out the broked weld grinded down the edges. got the differnt size inlets and outlets. when i bought the u joints ect i bought a tail pipe, so i ghetto fabed it all together to get a measurement on the inlet outlets with spacers, welded it all to the muffler, cut out a notch for the 02 sensor, and bolted it on.
teaching my brother how to grind down my welds

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heres a rought vid of the finished product. sounds pretty good for a free muffler. cant wait to hear it as its taking in air and not sitting there just reving it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in some of the pics you can see my grampas 97 gold f250, he decided last weekend that he wanted all his chrome to be black, and i mean everything. i wanted chrome head light bezels so i conned him into trading with me. after i finished those he painted his stock grill black. i wanted to paint my billet silver because only the front was and i couldnt understand why everything else was black, well i found out the hard way, when i painted it silver i realize you can see everything behind the grill and the verticle peices that hold the horizontal ones, so i taped the front off and painted everything else black again.
im a volunteer jr firefighter in my town, my dads been a ff for 24 years so i had a box with a siren and a few different wires and lights i figured i put em in. he told me that i could have it because he thought the stobe pack that i needed for the lights was burn out. he was wrong! so i put the 2 red lights behind the grill i bolted them to the lil cross bean on the bottom of the grill radiatior area.

my phone couldnt keep up with the fps of the stobes but its an idea. i like it cuz my parking lens are clear so the hazards flash white.
i wired the siren in and i wanted to put the box in the little cubby to the bottom left of the steering wheel, so i took it out and cut out an area for that and for the switch to the stobes.

the switch on top is the redlight the 2 smaller ones are for the neons

the box on the left is for the subs the red switch under the steering wheel is for the foglights, i ended up breaking the lil led in the switch for one of the neons but thats all the switches on

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just like any other ford. the rear quarters needed to be touched up. it had been bondoed orginally but my grampa wanted me to grind it all down to make sure i did it right from the start... bad idea i told him he could buy my replacement patches:doh0715:
drivers side, he told me to keep going, so i did.

drivers side

passengers side
so to this day im waiting on ups to recieve my 1/4 panel patches and the 2 leafspring hanger brackets and shackles. they should be here saturday but we wont be able to do them till monday. oh i broke the windsheild wheeling so i have to have that brought out to be replaced, i get my license tuesday though. wish it could be done but my parents are going to americade bike rally in lake george for 4 days a few hrs after i get my license. so at least i can drive one of their trucks till then. let me know what ya guys think? any comments, questions, ideas, advice let me know and ill keep ya updated :rockon

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
Nice to see you added more instead of just the neon signs in the intro forum. Really nice, keep the pics coming.

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
in some of the pics you can see my grampas 97 gold f250, he decided last weekend that he wanted all his chrome to be black, and i mean everything. i wanted chrome head light bezels so i conned him into trading with me. after i finished those he painted his stock grill black. i wanted to paint my billet silver because only the front was and i couldnt understand why everything else was black, well i found out the hard way, when i painted it silver i realize you can see everything behind the grill and the verticle peices that hold the horizontal ones, so i taped the front off and painted everything else black again.
im a volunteer jr firefighter in my town, my dads been a ff for 24 years so i had a box with a siren and a few different wires and lights i figured i put em in. he told me that i could have it because he thought the stobe pack that i needed for the lights was burn out. he was wrong! so i put the 2 red lights behind the grill i bolted them to the lil cross bean on the bottom of the grill radiatior area.

my phone couldnt keep up with the fps of the stobes but its an idea. i like it cuz my parking lens are clear so the hazards flash white.
i wired the siren in and i wanted to put the box in the little cubby to the bottom left of the steering wheel, so i took it out and cut out an area for that and for the switch to the stobes.

the switch on top is the redlight the 2 smaller ones are for the neons

the box on the left is for the subs the red switch under the steering wheel is for the foglights, i ended up breaking the lil led in the switch for one of the neons but thats all the switches on
just like any other ford. the rear quarters needed to be touched up. it had been bondoed orginally but my grampa wanted me to grind it all down to make sure i did it right from the start... bad idea i told him he could buy my replacement patches:doh0715:
drivers side, he told me to keep going, so i did.

drivers side

passengers side
so to this day im waiting on ups to recieve my 1/4 panel patches and the 2 leafspring hanger brackets and shackles. they should be here saturday but we wont be able to do them till monday. oh i broke the windsheild wheeling so i have to have that brought out to be replaced, i get my license tuesday though. wish it could be done but my parents are going to americade bike rally in lake george for 4 days a few hrs after i get my license. so at least i can drive one of their trucks till then. let me know what ya guys think? any comments, questions, ideas, advice let me know and ill keep ya updated :rockon

dam couldn't you wait untill i finished with the other reply to post more pics. haha just messing with you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks! i eat sleep breath my bronco. its the only thing that I have that i can say it MINE. im one of those kids that tells everyone at school about my what i did on my truck or someones the night before, i wish we had an automotive course at our school but all my buddys do their jeep build thread and i wasnt really sure were i could do one on here(i never looked that far down the forum page) but i like showing my truck to other enthuisist and getting advice and comments.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts