Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

221 - 240 of 594 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I really enjoyed reading this build thread. Sharp looking rig. I'm pretty jealous of the $3500 initial purchase price. The fabrication work is very impressive. The cobra pictures are an added bonus to this thread.
Thank you Pete and welcome to the FSB family. :thumbup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mostly because I'm an old school guy. IMO the 9" is a stronger unit. On a nine inch, both ends of the pinion are supported, (there is a bearing on each end) and the pinion gear engages the ring gear lower than the 8.8 . This means that 2 pinion gear-teeth are meshed with the ring gear at all times. The 9" axles bolt in on the backing plate, thus eliminating the C-clip, so if you break an axle, it doesn't walk out, it stays in the housing. I also like the ease of setting up a 9" on the bench, rather than in the housing. It is also possible to have several center sections setup allowing gear quick gear changes, although this does nothing on a 4wd, but at the track, a gear change could be done rather quickly. I also like being able to run the stronger Nodular iron case and the housings on the 9" are a lot beefier than the 8.8. I also think setting up the 9" is easier, no assembly and disassembly to set the the back lash, just a simple turn of a spanner wrench. Same goes for pinion depth, no pressing the bearing on and off to add/remove a shim, just pull the bolts and remove the assembly and add/remove your shims.
I also was able to go to 35 spline axles. :thumbup
Just my $0.02
pretty valid point here, i dont think i would have ever thought of a genius idea like this one! :rockon i may just have to look into a swap like this.. also, did the leaf spring perches line up right? from one housing to the other..

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Yes they did, but I also had this unit custom built by Currie; cheaper than I could have done it myself if I had used a 9 inch that I had lying around. At the time, Currie built me a reinforced 9" with hardened 35 spline axles, Nodular Iron Center section, Detroit Locker, Back brace, drain plug, aluminum filler cap and 4:11 gears; completely set up, shipped to my door for $2,100.00 :doh0715:

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Yes they did, but I also had this unit custom built by Currie; cheaper than I could have done it myself if I had used a 9 inch that I had lying around. At the time, Currie built me a reinforced 9" with hardened 35 spline axles, Nodular Iron Center section, Detroit Locker, Back brace, drain plug, aluminum filler cap and 4:11 gears; completely set up, shipped to my door for $2,100.00 :doh0715:
LOVE, LOVE everything about this post and rear, except for the price. But, if one thinks about or tallies up all the prices of the individual components, it really isn't all that outrageous.

tim

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
LOVE, LOVE everything about this post and rear, except for the price. But, if one thinks about or tallies up all the prices of the individual components, it really isn't all that outrageous.

tim
Just my RCV front axles shafts and 30 spline Warn premium hubs were $2,100.00. :shrug

That's without the Tru-Trac $450.00, 4:10 Gears, bearings, etc... $350.00

In the end, nothing is cheap for this habit we have.... :beer

http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details-axles.aspx?sku=CVJTTB-C

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Just my RCV front axles shafts and 30 spline Warn premium hubs were $2,100.00. :shrug

That's without the Tru-Trac $450.00, 4:10 Gears, bearings, etc... $350.00

In the end, nothing is cheap for this habit we have.... :beer

Ultimate Ford TTB CV Axles for Bronco & F-150 ('84-'86 & '88-'96.5) & F250 ('84-'85.5) - Clip Style
Forgive me for my "ignorance" as I have Dog issues, (started to post in the dog thread the other day about my 13+ year old and decided I might jinx him and "us"." May have anyway as he has been to the vet and still isn't very well or normal) and as a compensation I have "Flying Dog" beer issues to compensate.

But, you have "custom" TTB axles?? I would be interested in those, but probably not at that price. Of course, I should not need them as much as I only have 33" tires and no plans to go larger.

But, yeah nothing is cheap. A boneyard 9" housing would be at least $50.00, trussing, bracing, welding, what another $300.00??. Nodular center section, at least $300.00, gears 150.00, setup bearings 75ish??, aftermarket axles what, at least 300.00, Detroit Locker is what now 450ish?? and we haven't even began on the good ole labor. lol So, admittedly not that expensive once analyzed, just when making it to pay. lol

Oh, is the "warn premium 30 spline hubs" different than warn premium hubs for our typical front ends?? I don't know the spline count off the top of my head.

thanks and as always, great Bronco.

tim

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
thank Tim and no apologies necessary or ignorance issue, lol. We are all friends here and we should be able to ask questions about things we aren't sure of without backlash (no pun intended).
as far as the dog thing goes, I posted a pic of my 14 year old lab as a puppy on the post your dog thread and the next day I had to put her down.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/16-anything-else/94826-post-your-dog-pics-now-61.html#post6908585

I'll answer your question in order.

I went to the RCV's only because the quality of U joints, other than Spicer's, plain out suck. I would break a front joint while plowing and the rotating axle would shear the ends off. This had happened with both my 33' RTA's and my 37 TSL's. Usually under a load while turning. I did commercial plowing and down time as well as paying someone else to do your jobs got too expensive. RCV's actually put money in my pockets.

Not sure what nines are going for where you are but they usually run in the neighborhood of $800+ up here, a large bearing empty housings go for $300, hell, a set up center sections without a Nodular iron case brings any wheres from $300-500 for 28 spline and even more for 31-35 spline. 35 spline axles go for about $350 w/o bearings.

Your front hubs are 19 spline, the RCV's utilizes 30 splines for added strength.

Anytime Tim,

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
thank Tim and no apologies necessary or ignorance issue, lol. We are all friends here and we should be able to ask questions about things we aren't sure of without backlash (no pun intended).
as far as the dog thing goes, I posted a pic of my 14 year old lab as a puppy on the post your dog thread and the next day I had to put her down.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/16-anything-else/94826-post-your-dog-pics-now-61.html#post6908585

I'll answer your question in order.

I went to the RCV's only because the quality of U joints, other than Spicer's, plain out suck. I would break a front joint while plowing and the rotating axle would shear the ends off. This had happened with both my 33' RTA's and my 37 TSL's. Usually under a load while turning. I did commercial plowing and down time as well as paying someone else to do your jobs got too expensive. RCV's actually put money in my pockets.

Not sure what nines are going for where you are but they usually run in the neighborhood of $800+ up here, a large bearing empty housings go for $300, hell, a set up center sections without a Nodular iron case brings any wheres from $300-500 for 28 spline and even more for 31-35 spline. 35 spline axles go for about $350 w/o bearings.

Your front hubs are 19 spline, the RCV's utilizes 30 splines for added strength.

Anytime Tim,

Joe
Appreciate the nice comments Ford brother. I know about your dog post, that was the one I saw that made me almost comment on my dog. He has been sick and to the vet since with a poor diagnosis. Just like your dog, he was fine immediately before. He has since my post shown some old spunk. We can't decide if it is because of the medicine (we had decided was causing his "lethargy, etc,") wearing off or taking effect. We had decided to not give him anymore before the sudden surge. So,....????

Yeah, I know my 9" pricing was low. The housing I based off a now gone JY that my daddy had ties to in days gone by and the now deceased owner still looked out for him and me by default. Go figure, another thing gone. Sad, sad, sad

Anyway, yes that is the most common way I ever broke front axles. The U-Joint fails and wipes out both knuckles on the axles. I rarely ever broke (rarely may be an exaggeration) axles on the inside, as in the actual shaft, but they always broke just after the splines. All these breaks were on a 79 D44 with 16 X 38.5 X 15 TSLs back in my youth. LOL another thing that has come and gone. lol

I thought the hubs you were speaking of were different, I at the time couldn't remember 19 spline, but since I have to go to work tomorrow the Flying Dog has stopped and my memory is a bit, if just a bit clearer. lol

tim

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,534 Posts
Condolences on yer 4 legged friend Tim. Hope things turn around for him.

I just learned a lot about RCV's and I've had the same u-joint failure that destroyed the axle shaft ends on the same '76 D44 HD I've been mucking with lately. I went with chromoly replacement shafts from JBG and spicer joints. No way I could afford those RCV's... but they sure pitch a sweet setup. Now y'all got me nervous that'll be the next thing to go (again) on the old plow beast. :goodfinge

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Glad he's turning around Tim, hope it takes.
@BikerPepe`, as long as you run Spicer quality joints and you keep 'em lubed, you will increase your chances of them staying together a 100 fold, IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awesome Bronco!! And thank you for taking the time to take all the pictures you have and explaining what you have done. I enjoy reading builds like this and am always a little sad when I come to the last post.
Keep it up man!!!

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Thanks @punisher81 ! Good news is I'm not at the end, just need to keep her pushing snow for the winter and save a few bucks to start back in on her in the spring.

First on the list is a trussed cut-n-turn and some 5:83's, another 2" lift up front and if there's still some money, a fiberglass hood w/ scoop, and....... :shrug

P.S. there's a lot of Build Threads with a ton of info. There may be a build more to your liking, as my taste tends to be a little dated for some folks, but this is what we did 40+ years ago. ;)

P.S. When I was young black grills and no chrome was a base model vehicle, Chrome wheels etc... were the first change we made, that's why Crager SS's were so popular. :thumbup

Thanks again, peace.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Condolences on yer 4 legged friend Tim. Hope things turn around for him.
Thanks Pepe'. He seems a lot better. Hopefully it is long lasting.

Thanks @punisher81 ! Good news is I'm not at the end, just need to keep her pushing snow for the winter and save a few bucks to start back in on her in the spring.

First on the list is a trussed cut-n-turn and some 5:83's, another 2" lift up front and if there's still some money, a fiberglass hood w/ scoop, and....... :shrug

P.S. there's a lot of Build Threads with a ton of info. There may be a build more to your liking, as my taste tends to be a little dated for some folks, but this is what we did 40+ years ago. ;)

P.S. When I was young black grills and no chrome was a base model vehicle, Chrome wheels etc... were the first change we made, that's why Crager SS's were so popular. :thumbup

Thanks again, peace.
Are we old?? lol I don't think your build taste are dated. But, of course it may just mean my taste are dated too.

Either way, I think it is a good looking rig.

tim

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Thanks Bud :thumbup

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Here is a pic of the snap ring that broke on my axle shaft; I'm guessing I took it apart and put it together too many times and maybe just knocked it partially out of the groove?

Here's what the replacement looked like:

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Or it just broke?? Sometimes metal does that, just breaks. Don't know which, but probably not your actual fault. What is the saying??? Shit happens. lol

tim

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Well, we had two inches of snow yesterday and possibly a couple more coming this Tuesday-Wednesday, but figured I've had enough. I brought the 'ole girl down to the car wash this morning and washed all the winter off of her and the plow. Gott her back in the shop and removed the plow and sprayed it down with some WD-40 before I put it away. Put her back on the lift and removed the winter boots and put the summer sneakers back on her. Damn.......it's been a long winter. :banghead

....but she does look so much better with the 44's :thumbup

221 - 240 of 594 Posts