Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

261 - 280 of 601 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I have been thinking about my build, quite a bit lately and how I have been accused of being "too old school" and "living in the past", so today I decided to do something about it.
I have brought my truck up to a more modern look that will be more appealing to the "younger generation" and hopefully more "in tune" with what is being done to vehicles these days!
I hate to be the one to tell you, 'cause I'm older than you, but you really missed it man! I thought everybody knew stock wheels don't get it. It took me a little bit, but I think I found the right ones for you! You might have to make your own A-dapter kit, but you would have the only one on the block! Take a gander at these 34s!:wow

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
I hate to be the one to tell you, 'cause I'm older than you, but you really missed it man! I thought everybody knew stock wheels don't get it. It took me a little bit, but I think I found the right ones for you! You might have to make your own A-dapter kit, but you would have the only one on the block! Take a gander at these 34s!:wow

:barf
…. :barf
……. :barf
…………… :barf
:barf
………… :barf
…………………. :barf

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Well, no problem with Inspection sticker, everything worked and everything passed. Pulled the stockers and threw on the 37's for the winter. I really need to put some funds aside for a cut-n-turn.
I'll dig the plow out and get that mounted in the next few weeks, take the '57 to the shop and bring the Bronco home for the winter. :cry

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Looks good and hello from a longtime absent member.

tim

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Thank you and a fine howdy do to you sir, welcome back!

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
836 Posts

On top of all this, they claim EATON is doing nothing about this.
Sorry to hear Joe, that really sucks. I am also not a big fan of Eaton, had this happen to my E-Locker. This is a catastrophic failure of the unit and not something my very mild trail runs should have destroyed. Eaton also did nothing about it.

Eaton's response was "You must have abused it, not covered" No offer to replace, no discount on getting a new one, nada, just a "too bad". They have lost my business permanently, there is no excuse for poor customer service.

Your truck is still bad to the bone, I absolutely love it!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Thank you and a fine howdy do to you sir, welcome back!
YW sir. I have missed being here. Life on life's terms. Know what I mean?? lol

later

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
YW sir. I have missed being here. Life on life's terms. Know what I mean?? lol

later

Loud and clear, unfortunately, we all have to face the unexpected speed bumps in life, no matter how bid they may be.

Peace brother, :wowcb:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Well, I got tired of hearing my front tires squealing as I drove down the road, (it only does it with the 37's; maybe because the 44's are wider?) so I finally bit the bullet today. I ended up pulling the trigger on a set of Desolate Motorsport 44 ttb cut-n-turns. I found their price pretty reasonable compared to the others out there and since I only wanted them to correct my camber, not to go off road racing, I figured I'd be okay.
I got the Stage II reinforced/gusseted housings with bash guards and 9/16" Uniball mounts. I should have them in a few weeks but won't install them until this summer as i don't want to tear the truck apart until the snow stops falling. I have plated and reinforced my housings so opted to pay the $350 core charge and go with new, I probably would have paid a couple of hundred to ship mine there anyways , only to have them rejected because I have modified them. Here is a pic off their website for now, I'll post some pics once I get mine.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Don't start making that popcorn just yet.... like I said, this wont take place until the snow is officially gone. This would normally be a pretty straight forward job ,something that I should be able to accomplish in a weekend, but because of the RCV axles, the disassembly and then reassembly process becomes that much more difficult. I know that I struggled (because I don't have enough hands) for a day before I finally gave up and was able to recruit some qualified help, and even then, it took a L-O-N-G time to get them assembled.
Unlike the stock axles which slide through the knuckle, the RCV axles are installed in two pieces with the knuckle off and then assembled in place while trying to install the knuckle. A real pain in the ass. :bash

I also called them back and opted for the 5/8" Uniballs, figured what the hell, it can't hurt having too much strength.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
This is supposed to be the finished product with all the reinforcing plates. I especially like the way the boxed the pivot ends in.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #275 (Edited)
Well, as usual, I overthink everything and after some careful thought, I called Desolate Motorsports back and changed my order. First off, I have to say, these guys are a class act and have been great to deal with so far; they take the time to go over things with you and answer all your questions. If their product is as good as their customer service, I'm sure I'll be more than happy.
Now to the point. I don't know if you guys remember, but a couple a years back, I split a driver's side beam in half. This was actually the second time I had a failure on that side; the first was a couple of cracks that I noticed when I swapped out my gears years ago. I just utilized another housing I had that was good and never thought twice about it. The second failure was not so pretty and was pretty much catastrophic. The housing split in two, from the top radius arm bolt to the lower bolt. This caused the radius arm to pull free under load causing my driveshaft to pull apart and beat itself to death (along with my brake lines and some of my wiring harness and my shock) thus destroying the shaft.

I ended up sand blasting another housing I had and plating and gusseting it and have that one on the truck now. So this got me thinking that maybe I should see if they could upgrade my housings to the Stage III setup. So after we talked it over, they concluded that I am apparently an animal and they would be more than happy to add the additional plating for another couple of hundred bucks; a no brainer in my book. They said they should get to them sometime after the holiday and told me to keep on hammering and have a Happy New Year. Here is what the additional plating and reinforcements look like:

They are definitely a lot more reinforced than mine are, lol:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
35,925 Posts
Dude... you ARE an ANIMAL! That thing is a beast and pushing snow with a TTB on those huge ass tires... I've been impressed and surprised with your setup for that very reason since I stumbled across your stuff. Sounds like you'll be setup much mo betta now though. You're making "overkill" for some seriously tough rigs look "standard". :rockon

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Lol, thanks Pepe`.
About 8+ years ago, the State switched over from pure salt to utilizing Liquid Magnesium Chloride in addition to the salt for our roads. We have noticed a significant increase in corrosion and fatigue in equipment since then. That shit eats away at everything. It gets under powder coating and just peels it away as you can see by by radius arms. The first noticeable difference was that everything exposed to it turned a bright orange rusted color, unlike the deep brown color usually associated with rust. It also caused heavy pitting in the metal. Also, because it's a liquid and melts snow at temps below 20*, the solution gets into everything that solid salt crystals can't when you run down the road.
Not sure if it's true or not, but the plow guys around here say that New York banned it's use because of the high corrosive nature. All i know is that I have been plowing for over 40 years and never seen anything as nasty as this stuff, that's why I figured I'd try Rust Bullet on everything and hope for the best...

the 93:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
35,925 Posts
Another reason to love living in a rural county where we use a salt/sand mix.
I feel for you folks that have to deal with that corrosive chemical sh!t.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Well, I just got a phone call from Greg at Desolate Motorsports and he informed that my beams are being boxed up and heading out the door as we speak. :thumbup

59 years old and suddenly I feel like a little kid at Xmas!

261 - 280 of 601 Posts