Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

301 - 320 of 564 Posts

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
So I figured I'd show you a picture that should explain the main reason I went to a cut-n-turn; my camber is horrible! Here it is with the 37's:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Started to take the front end apart:

I got it apart, but not without a fight. Those of you have removed RCV axles know that it's a struggle and a two person job. Well, I was only one person and couldn't mange to separate the boot from the axle, it's a pressure fit that needs to be pried off and I just don't have enough hands. After an hour, I ended up dropping the ball joints as low as I could and then using an air chisel to pry out the camber bushing and then cutting the upper ball joint in half (the lower was already cut down flush with the nut to clear the boot, as per the manufacturer) to separate the knuckle from the housing so I could slide the axle out without separating it. By that time I had enough and will drop the drivers side down tomorrow. I'll drop the passenger side in one piece and separate it on the bench.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Horrible is an understatement man. Damn!
Give me a minute and I'll be right over to help.

If only. :whiteflag
Yeah, the price you pay when you start getting into the 10" lift range....:ford

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Weather has been pretty $hitty lately, so I took advantage of a couple of good days to get some yard work done. Jumped back on the Bronco today and got another coat of Rustbullet on the housings:

...also managed to get the driver's side TTB out..

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
pulled the old ring gear:

I figured while the case was empty I'd install a drain plug; drilled a pilot hole and then stepped up to 7/16' for a 1/4" pipe plug, tapped it and installed a S.S. Allen plug so it wouldn't get knocked out.

Deburred and chamfered the inside to ease drainage...

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
I did a couple of test fits, but I need some pinion shims; thought I had some, but all 9" and 8.8" stuff. I ordered some and will have to wait for them to come in, oh well. I'll try and get the passenger side out tomorrow; in the meantime, I think I'll go visit my old buddy Jack. Cheers! :beer

·
ate lug
8,390 Posts
Camber for days!

How did you end up on 10" lift? Never seen a kit that high so i figure you have some custom stuff in there to get it that high. Cant wait to see the new beams installed in there :cool:

Whats up with the 3rd? Gear change?

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Camber for days!

How did you end up on 10" lift? Never seen a kit that high so i figure you have some custom stuff in there to get it that high. Cant wait to see the new beams installed in there :cool:

Whats up with the 3rd? Gear change?
If you look back at the begining of my build, you'll see where I cut down the spring towers and added air bags as well.

Yeah, pulling the 4:11/4:11's to go with 5:38/5:43's. I wanted to go with 5:89/5:83 combo, but the 5:89's aren't available in reverse cut. :ford

·
Addicted to Junk
9,980 Posts
I had that camber issue on a 4" lift... so I dropped the beams to the 6" hole and all is well.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Mothers day, so the wife had to work which allowed me to get some more work done. I pulled the passenger side apart rather than drop the whole thing in one piece. Same issue, had to cut the ball joint again.
Nice to have the right tools:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Hopefully I won't be needing these again:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Installed the Uni-Balls:

A socket makes for a nice tool to press them in:

Install the snap ring:

If you notice, the groove is kinda tight, I had to use a drift to tap it into the groove so it was even...

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Then installed the bushings(some assembly lube works well to hold them in place); I ordered the 5/8" rather than the stock 9/16" so I had to drill out the brackets as well as get new 5/8" bolts.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Passenger side housing installed. I removed the air bags (I had a hole in the passenger side bag) and installed some 2" coil spring spacers. Hopefully it's what I need to get her sitting level again, we'll see, finger crossed.

301 - 320 of 564 Posts